• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

nyqvististhefuture

Trade deadline fast approaching - who should we target?

Rate this topic

I've always had a soft spot for Rafalski types, i.e. diminutive defensemen who get by on their smarts, offensive instincts, puck-moving prowess, PP proficiency, point production. And now, with probably our biggest problem being that our blue line is "forwardly challenged," I'm extra big (cough) on this kind of player.

So, another name: Tobias Enstrom.

I've always had a soft spot for Rafalski types, i.e. diminutive defensemen who get by on their smarts, offensive instincts, puck-moving prowess, PP proficiency, point production. And now, with probably our biggest problem being that our blue line is "forwardly challenged," I'm extra big (cough) on this kind of player.

So, another name: Tobias Enstrom.

We do need a true PP quarterback, but I don't think Enstrom's that guy. Not to mention he has a full no-movement clause and Winnipeg are contenders again.

Plus I'd like to see what Almquist can do and they're similar players. Obviously Almquist is a much lesser version and unproven but could surprise people.

I wouldn't trade Tatar, Nyquist, Jurco or Mantha in any sort of deal for Edler. The guys game is going in the wrong direction, I get that he's a Swede, and played well 2 years ago. For 5 million, I'd need a little more of "what have you done for me lately", and I get that the Nucks are banged up and he hasn't clicked with Torts, but you cannot hide from a -22. Especially when he's only played 40 games.

before the Olympics start ill just suggest signing AK Bars Kazan top 2 D men (not happening I know) which would help us address the Fwd issue.

Yevgeni Medvedev and Ilya Nikulin, offer both 2 year deals. Let Quincey walk, use Smith and Kindl with a roster forward Andersson to get the top scoring forward we need. Split the saved $ with the release of these 4 players and give that to the 2 Russian D's. ie $4'100'000 each year for 2 years.

This will give us a 2 top D that could play from 1-4, so we could go with Kronwall & DeKeyser, Medvedev & Nikulin and Ericsson Lashoff/ Marchenko.

Just a thought, doubt it would happen as the Russian guys have never left their shores, maybe Pav could sweet talk them into coming over.

before the Olympics start ill just suggest signing AK Bars Kazan top 2 D men (not happening I know) which would help us address the Fwd issue.

Yevgeni Medvedev and Ilya Nikulin, offer both 2 year deals. Let Quincey walk, use Smith and Kindl with a roster forward Andersson to get the top scoring forward we need. Split the saved $ with the release of these 4 players and give that to the 2 Russian D's. ie $4'100'000 each year for 2 years.

This will give us a 2 top D that could play from 1-4, so we could go with Kronwall & DeKeyser, Medvedev & Nikulin and Ericsson Lashoff/ Marchenko.

Just a thought, doubt it would happen as the Russian guys have never left their shores, maybe Pav could sweet talk them into coming over.

Why are you shouting??

We do need a true PP quarterback, but I don't think Enstrom's that guy. Not to mention he has a full no-movement clause and Winnipeg are contenders again.

Plus I'd like to see what Almquist can do and they're similar players. Obviously Almquist is a much lesser version and unproven but could surprise people.

Enstrom almost certainly isn't that guy, but I'm just throwing stuff against the wall. Knew he was reasonably happy in Winnipeg, but didn't know he had a full NMC. Sucks. And are the Jets really contenders? I mean, even for a playoff spot? *checks* Hey! Good for them! Show's what a good solid winning streak can do.

I really like Almqvist. Guess it sort of goes without saying. But my impression is he's struggling this season, and questions about his size and mobility are looming larger and larger. Still, I guess it would make sense to at least give him a chance, provided a better option doesn't present itself. Of course, the worry there is that we simply may not have room for him on our blue line, and his waiver exemption expires next season, I believe. So I'd be thinking about maybe moving him.

Totally unrealistic on every level, and made my eyedrums bleed. I like it!

Enstrom almost certainly isn't that guy, but I'm just throwing stuff against the wall. Knew he was reasonably happy in Winnipeg, but didn't know he had a full NMC. Sucks. And are the Jets really contenders? I mean, even for a playoff spot? *checks* Hey! Good for them! Show's what a good solid winning streak can do.

I really like Almqvist. Guess it sort of goes without saying. But my impression is he's struggling this season, and questions about his size and mobility are looming larger and larger. Still, I guess it would make sense to at least give him a chance, provided a better option doesn't present itself. Of course, the worry there is that we simply may not have room for him on our blue line, and his waiver exemption expires next season, I believe. So I'd be thinking about maybe moving him.

Yeah I remember reading recently that Almquist is really struggling to put on weight and that his body type/frame just isn't built for it. Here's the quote.

Defenseman Adam Almquist (Grand Rapids, AHL) has two goals and 10 assists in his past seven games to climb into a tie for sixth in league scoring among blueliners. Overall, he has two goals and 30 assists in 43 games. Blashill said he’d like to see Almquist improve the Griffins’ power play by a couple of percentage points — it’s sixth in the league at 20.8 per cent — down the stretch. He added that the 5-foot-11 178-pounder needs to get stronger to make the Red Wings out of camp next season. “He’s got a body type that’s not easy to add mass to,” Blashill said. “He’s got to continue to get stronger and that will be a big key for him.”

This will be a huge off-season for him. He no doubt has the mind for the game and has that dynamic potential not a lot of defencemen have.

Yeah I remember reading recently that Almquist is really struggling to put on weight and that his body type/frame just isn't built for it. Here's the quote.

This will be a huge off-season for him. He no doubt has the mind for the game and has that dynamic potential not a lot of defencemen have.

Hire Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson to train this kid in the summer. He'll be 200 by next season.

I don't understand the love for Almquist. He's a small defenseman who is a defensive liability in the AHL. He'd be eaten alive by even average NHL forwards.

I was seriously just coming here to type this. I was over on hfboards and Wings fans were going ape for him over there. I don't get it.

I don't understand the love for Almquist. He's a small defenseman who is a defensive liability in the AHL. He'd be eaten alive by even average NHL forwards.

I was seriously just coming here to type this. I was over on hfboards and Wings fans were going ape for him over there. I don't get it.

Who's going head-over-heels for him?? I only brought him up as a lesser-comparison to Enstrom. If anything I was critical of Almquist...

Are we not allowed to discuss borderline prospects and be hopeful they might surprise people?? Sheesh... Debbie downers...

Who's going head-over-heels for him?? I only brought him up as a lesser-comparison to Enstrom. If anything I was critical of Almquist...

Are we not allowed to discuss borderline prospects and be hopeful they might surprise people?? Sheesh... Debbie downers...

I'm sorry, I wasn't trying to single you out or anything. I thought your posts relayed the hesitant optimism that you just spoke of. I was talking about the general habit of discussing him as if he were one of our top defensive prospects, when it's pretty clear that he's topped out in terms of potential. To be honest I hadn't even read your post before I wrote mine, it was just coincidence that mine came so quickly on the heels of yours.

You're right though, he's a borderline guy who could surprise with a huge offseason.

I'm sorry, I wasn't trying to single you out or anything. I thought your posts relayed the hesitant optimism that you just spoke of. I was talking about the general habit of discussing him as if he were one of our top defensive prospects, when it's pretty clear that he's topped out in terms of potential. To be honest I hadn't even read your post before I wrote mine, it was just coincidence that mine came so quickly on the heels of yours.

You're right though, he's a borderline guy who could surprise with a huge offseason.

For sure, no worries. I think Almquist and other border-line prospects (Callahan, Ferraro) become such polarizing topics because there's such a wide ranging opinion on them. Some people see them as serving good roles on the team next year while others think it's laughable to even think they could crack the league ever. So it can lead to some heated discussion. No doubt though, they all have an uphill battle.

I'm sorry, I wasn't trying to single you out or anything. I thought your posts relayed the hesitant optimism that you just spoke of. I was talking about the general habit of discussing him as if he were one of our top defensive prospects, when it's pretty clear that he's topped out in terms of potential.

What he said. And it's not just here, it's all over. People worrying about losing him for nothing. Insisting that he should in in Detroit on the PP now, or if not that they should have Quincey's slot set aside for him. He's a slower version of Lebda. That's it.

What he said. And it's not just here, it's all over. People worrying about losing him for nothing. Insisting that he should in in Detroit on the PP now, or if not that they should have Quincey's slot set aside for him. He's a slower version of Lebda. That's it.

When he played a game this year, he looked like my 12-year-old out there compared to most of the other players. He seems tiny.

I find it comical that I suggest big Buff and get he sucks at d, is fat and lazy but then it's suddenly lets get Edler who sucks at D, has worse stats and is prone to mental mistakes but hey at least he isn't fat.

Edit - Oh and Buff is a righty to boot.

Edited by Nhurdi

I find it comical that I suggest big Buff and get he sucks at d, is fat and lazy but then it's suddenly lets get Edler who sucks at D, has worse stats and is prone to mental mistakes but hey at least he isn't fat.

Edit - Oh and Buff is a righty to boot.

Edler isn't lazy and far from being a coach killer or questionable teammate. The Canucks would be stupid to get rid of him without overpayment

Edler isn't lazy and far from being a coach killer or questionable teammate. The Canucks would be stupid to get rid of him without overpayment

I would just like to ask why you think Buff is Lazy, a coach killer or a questionable team mate? Or is that just your opinion?

Statistically Buff is better than Edler this year, I haven't looked at years past. He is a right shot, physical and puts up points.

Edler has a NTC to boot, Buff has one too but he can only select 5 teams he won't go to.