• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

nyqvististhefuture

Trade deadline fast approaching - who should we target?

Rate this topic

I'm not a big fan of Bouwmeester but he's a huge upgrade over Q or Kindl or whoever we have on our second pairing right now.

I hope this olympic tournament gave Babcock a taste of what it's like to coach a team with actual capable defenders...

So much this. So many were against him when he was being shopped, but man has he turned his career around once he got out of Calgary.

He didn't turn his career around. He's just on a MUCH better team and so his numbers are better. Bouwmeester's pretty good, but I think A LOT of people would be disappointed the minute they realized we were paying 6.8 million dollars for him to essentially be a defensive defenseman.

Guest DeGraa55

I find it funny but that people want a top pairing defenseman but then will say we can't trade nyquist, Tatar, mraz etc etc.

People still haven't learned to get some you gotta give up something. Bouwmeister and girardi I guarantee the deal starts with at least one of those three maybe more. Which is why in my opinion were better off not making a trade for a defenseman.

I find it funny but that people want a top pairing defenseman but then will say we can't trade nyquist, Tatar, mraz etc etc.

People still haven't learned to get some you gotta give up something. Bouwmeister and girardi I guarantee the deal starts with at least one of those three maybe more. Which is why in my opinion were better off not making a trade for a defenseman.

Sorry, who exactly said this??

Guest DeGraa55

Sorry, who exactly said this??

It's the idea. How often have we heard top pair defenseman? Or top 4? How often do we hear people say they dont wanna trade certain players? Who also happened to be our big name prospects.

It's consistent.

Edited by DeGraa55

It's the idea. How often have we heard top pair defenseman? Or top 4? How often do we hear people say they dont wanna trade certain players? Who also happened to be our big name prospects.

It's consistent.

No I think most people realize a top defenceman is going to cost us. It just better be a top 2-3 guy for a trade like that to benefit us.

It's the trades for forwards that most people scoff at and see as pointless.

Well either way we NEED reinforcement on the blueline and I am not 100% convinced that our prospects will be that much of an improvement if we just keep doing nothing. At some point a trade might be necessary and I'd rather do it now and sign a guy on fairly long term so we have some stability going forward.

I believe we need more than what can be obtained at the deadline to be a serious contender. 2 defensive upgrades and possibly scoring depth depending on injuries would bring the team to that level, and that's assuming the chemistry is there. The team lacks precision. Of course I thought that last year as well and was pleasantly surprised.

On a side note, I finally get done watching the Olympics and the thread is closed already? This forum is not what it used to be.

Dom, again you didn't read what I said, thus why I asked. There were some who thought getting Grabner would be a good move, better than signing Vanek. I said no because vanek would only cost us money. To get Grabner we would have to give up a package (as an example) like nyquist and oullett, to get him. Which btw I am against. If you would have been reading instead of reacting you would have known this.

When buying at the trade deadline you always overpay. The idea of trading any of our young players that are here or will be next season for a rental is a bad idea. About the only guys that I would give up at the deadline would be Almqvist and Callahan, but that combo isn't going to get you much in return.

With Z on LTIR we have the cap room to keep the young guys up and playing them. Do it. I would rather see Jurco, tatar, nyquist, sheahan, pulk, and Callahan up and playing. Lets see what they can/can't do so we have a better idea of what we need heading into the off season.

Last, I realize some of you are fans of various Junior teams in Canada. But I hope Vol'dor, Owen Sound, and Barrie get put out of the PO's early. I would love to see Mantha, AA, and nastisauk playing as a line in GR for a few games before their season ends.

Guest DeGraa55

No I think most people realize a top defenceman is going to cost us. It just better be a top 2-3 guy for a trade like that to benefit us.

It's the trades for forwards that most people scoff at and see as pointless.

Even though our top 6 can't compare to the top 5-10 teams in hockey right now. And our top 6 has two of the top 10 overall players in hockey. Our top six needsTWO players. While we have Alfie it's just one but after he goes, which I assume will be after this year cause he wants to win, we will need two.

Whereas our defense actually looks better moving forward.

Even though our top 6 can't compare to the top 5-10 teams in hockey right now. And our top 6 has two of the top 10 overall players in hockey. Our top six needsTWO players. While we have Alfie it's just one but after he goes, which I assume will be after this year cause he wants to win, we will need two.

Whereas our defense actually looks better moving forward.

Even without Zetterberg, the Wings top 3 lines will have Datsyuk, Franzen, Alfredsson, Tatar, Nyquist, Helm, Weiss, and 2 of Jurco, Sheahan, and Abdelkader. That's a pretty damn solid group.

yea i don't really understand what the mods were thinking

Me either, this forum is ridiculously overmoderated at times.

Same goes for locking the thread during the USA-Canada game, what exactly is the point of having a forum if we are not allowed to discuss things?

And while I'm ranting, the curse filter? really? we are all adults here...

Edited by Ekmanc

Me either, this forum is ridiculously overmoderated at times.

Same goes for locking the thread during the USA-Canada game, what exactly is the point of having a forum if we are not allowed to discuss things?

And while I'm ranting, the curse filter? really? we are all adults here...

Sadly, that's not the case.

There was no curse filter here for years, but then some members got so out of hand with the profanity that Matt finally felt the need to activate the filter.

I'll unlock the Olympics thread, but everybody play nice. ;)

And let's get back to the topic of this thread. If anyone wants to discuss us moderators and how we're doing, they can start a thread in the water cooler or PM any one of us.

I have no problem believing that some people acted like idiots before the filter but you can still see what someone wrote even if it has a few stars in it and you mods can still warn and ban someone for repeated offenses, the filter really accomplishes nothing.

Guest DeGraa55

Even without Zetterberg, the Wings top 3 lines will have Datsyuk, Franzen, Alfredsson, Tatar, Nyquist, Helm, Weiss, and 2 of Jurco, Sheahan, and Abdelkader. That's a pretty damn solid group.

Ya that's the issue. I like those guys please don't get me wrong. But if we were to win this year those are not guys to be in the top 6. In the next year or two or three yes. But right now no.

Plus Franzen and Weiss how long wil the be back for? Franzen will be a question mark for me until the day he is gone.

I have come to the conclusion myself that IF we made a big deal, it should be for a D man first and foremost... I should say that I have succeeded that fact. That being said, I still think we could trade for someone like Brad Boyes, who could help the powerplay and in the shootouts. I really don't think he would cost too much in trade...

If we grab a top 3 defenseman, it will definitely cost us at least one of Q or K or Smith along with a defensive prospect and our #1 draft pick.

I don't want to give up on Smitty, but if it means getting that defenseman we need, then so be it. We won't get too much for Q alone (yes, I know that we won't get Morrow) but if we traded Q, Smith, Almqvist and our #1? What kind of return would that get us? Or maybe just keep Q until UFA and trade Smith, Almqvist, #1 and a forward prospect...I know Andersson isn't worth much either, but what kind of realistic package do you see that would get us a top 3 guy? (for fun, you cannot include Nyquist, Jurco, Tatar or Sheahan...) :lol: s*** just got hard, eh?

also, IMO, this year isn't about winning a Cup, it's about making the dance and re-tooling over the summer with our kids and a UFA piece or two...or if we acquired someone at the deadline...

I have come to the conclusion myself that IF we made a big deal, it should be for a D man first and foremost... I should say that I have succeeded that fact. That being said, I still think we could trade for someone like Brad Boyes, who could help the powerplay and in the shootouts. I really don't think he would cost too much in trade...

If we grab a top 3 defenseman, it will definitely cost us at least one of Q or K or Smith along with a defensive prospect and our #1 draft pick.

I don't want to give up on Smitty, but if it means getting that defenseman we need, then so be it. We won't get too much for Q alone (yes, I know that we won't get Morrow) but if we traded Q, Smith, Almqvist and our #1? What kind of return would that get us? Or maybe just keep Q until UFA and trade Smith, Almqvist, #1 and a forward prospect...I know Andersson isn't worth much either, but what kind of realistic package do you see that would get us a top 3 guy? (for fun, you cannot include Nyquist, Jurco, Tatar or Sheahan...) :lol: s*** just got hard, eh?

also, IMO, this year isn't about winning a Cup, it's about making the dance and re-tooling over the summer with our kids and a UFA piece or two...or if we acquired someone at the deadline...

If they make the playoffs this year, I really doubt they will make any huge changes in the offseason.

Shaman, that is/has been the problem for 3 or 4 years now. We have AS future HOF players leave and no major deals are done to replace them. Far to many patch jobs. Now we are in a spot where we have to make some major changes and everyone knows it. Thus it will cost more. Also we just don't have many pieces with value to move. On top of that, I am not sure Holland-this close to the end of his career is willing to take a big risk or 2 anymore. Yes sometimes risks blow up in your face, and sometimes those risks work out. But he does seem to be afraid or overly cautious the past few years.

Shaman, that is/has been the problem for 3 or 4 years now. We have AS future HOF players leave and no major deals are done to replace them. Far to many patch jobs. Now we are in a spot where we have to make some major changes and everyone knows it. Thus it will cost more. Also we just don't have many pieces with value to move. On top of that, I am not sure Holland-this close to the end of his career is willing to take a big risk or 2 anymore. Yes sometimes risks blow up in your face, and sometimes those risks work out. But he does seem to be afraid or overly cautious the past few years.

I mean, like, this is pretty late in the game, but, Holland builds through the draft, that's his strategy, so yeah, idk what you expect?

Guest DeGraa55

I mean, like, this is pretty late in the game, but, Holland builds through the draft, that's his strategy, so yeah, idk what you expect?

Holland also made a trade to acquire shanahan to put us over the top. Also acquired chelios. And hasek etc etc