• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

nyqvististhefuture

Trade deadline fast approaching - who should we target?

Rate this topic

Guest DeGraa55

He did acquire Chelios and Hasek.

He did not acquire Shanahan.

My mistake I was just a kid back then! Lol

Holland hasn't made moves because hardly any team has made moves. The recent CBA's made it far too restrictive to trade players.

And this year a lot of teams have cap issues, are in the playoff hunt, or won't want our pieces. Don't always mistake Holland not making moves as not wanting to make moves.

Things are very tight and there just aren't a lot of options out there.

Let us not forget Holland DID acquire Dominik Hasek via trade.

to BUF: Vyacheslav Kozlov, 2002 1st round pick.

to DET: Dominik Hasek, 2002 Stanley Cup

...Holland had some balls back then (especially since it meant he had to waive fan favorite Chris Osgood) so maybe he can find them again and make that deal for a top line defender... I sure wish Nashville wanted to get rid of Weber's contract...

...Holland had some balls back then (especially since it meant he had to waive fan favorite Chris Osgood) so maybe he can find them again and make that deal for a top line defender... I sure wish Nashville wanted to get rid of Weber's contract...

That was pretty cap. Holland has said repeatedly he is going to use the draft, and with their cap situation I don't see a big move happening this season. The offseason is a possibility.

I was sitting in frankenmuth with my dad when we got hasek and we got so excites we were giving high fives as the news of dale earnhardt passing was the focus in the news.

It looked bad.

Ha.

I've got to think now that z will probably be on ltir that a trade is more of a possibility, but I'm Still not expecting much.

Depth defenseman maybe but there won't be any blockbuster, we have some good forwards going forward and no one would give us enough for us to trade them.

And BTW.

The mods do what they can to keep a civil and fun environment for everyone, cut em some slack.

If you read through the Olympic thread people were starting to spout personal insults, not an environment that fosters constructive talk for the red wings once Olympics are over.

But I'm excited as hell to get back to nhl hockey.

Does anyone know the date trades are allowed off hand?

Edited by jimmyemeryhunter

all I know is the deadline is March 5.

I agree with you guys about maybe a minor depth trade on D and MAYBE a cheaper rental to try and make up for Z's point production as best as we can. Which is why earlier in the week I mentioned Jagr. By all means I am not saying go out and get him, he is the answer, but he could be the kind of minor deal to shore up the first line while Z is gone, and his cap hit is not that bad. It also would probably cost us very little...

...we can all agree that our D needs an upgrade over Q and K. Trading them for picks and then maybe getting a mid-tier defender that is an upgrade to those two...maybe a pending UFA vet that is looking for a place to finish his career. IIRC wasn't Holland GM when we acquired Murphy? Looking back, March 18, 1997 for future considerations...I think Holland was already promoted to GM by then, maybe not. Maybe acquire someone of that stature for the depth and solidify the backend for a nice push for the playoffs..

Players like Murphy that could be had for futures or lower end picks: Salo, Timonen, Zidlicky, Mitchell, Robidas, Derek Morris to name a few that would be definite upgrades over Q or K and if they returned for another season help bridge the gap while our kids merge in next season...

...on my team I would take Derek Morris and Wille Mitchell in place of Q and K today...get it done! Also it's almost a wash on salary...

Edited by LeftWinger

It has nothing to do with balls: then vs now

That trade was easy for Holland. 1st rounders meant nothing to Detroit in the pre-cap era. In fact, Buffalo basically gave Hasek to the Wings. Plus the Wings were elite. Contenders year in and year out.So when a team like Buffalo does the classy thing and gives Hasek a chane to win, he goes to either Detroit, Colorado, Jersey. Those other teams had Roy and Broduer. So......

Holland is way more reluctant to part with draft picks or prospects of any kind these days. Why? Because he has lost his balls? Or because they are far more valuable now than they were back then?

I hate to disagree, but picks have just been devalued. Next year just about every team has 15+ million in cap space, thanks to the new TV deal. There are also very few high value UFA's out there. The cap has just become a non factor for about 3 years.

Now yes in general you need to draft well to be good. Let me rephrase that. You have to draft early to be good. About 2/3 of all 1st round players become career NHLers. After that it is a 1 in 5 chance.

I do agree that over the past couple of years Holland put himself in a bad position. multiple bad contracts to old broken vets that used up all our cap room. That is about to change this summer. We will see if anything major happens. I doubt it does between now and March 5.

Now if we stand pat, and I hope we do, play the following lineup:

Nyqusit-Datsyuk-Alfie

Franzen-Weiss-Pulkinnan

Jurco-Sheahan-Tatar

Abby-Helm-Callahan

E-Kronwall

DD-Kindl/Q

Lashoff-Smith

Let the kids play and see what we got. Once Franzen and Weiss get hurt again-within 10 games is my bet, move in Glendening and Miller. Everyone else can sit the bench, go play in GR or be cut.

I hate to disagree, but picks have just been devalued. Next year just about every team has 15+ million in cap space, thanks to the new TV deal. There are also very few high value UFA's out there. The cap has just become a non factor for about 3 years.

Now yes in general you need to draft well to be good. Let me rephrase that. You have to draft early to be good. About 2/3 of all 1st round players become career NHLers. After that it is a 1 in 5 chance.

I do agree that over the past couple of years Holland put himself in a bad position. multiple bad contracts to old broken vets that used up all our cap room. That is about to change this summer. We will see if anything major happens. I doubt it does between now and March 5.

Maybe I'm not understanding what you have said, but how have picks been "devalued". Can you elaborate?

Just because the cap is going up over the next three years does not mean that clubs don't need to continue to draft well.

Maybe what you're saying is that Holland can afford to trade picks away to land a Weber-type guy because we can safely fit him in under the cap, when it goes up?

Even though our top 6 can't compare to the top 5-10 teams in hockey right now. And our top 6 has two of the top 10 overall players in hockey. Our top six needsTWO players. While we have Alfie it's just one but after he goes, which I assume will be after this year cause he wants to win, we will need two.

Whereas our defense actually looks better moving forward.

Actually, our top 6 stacks up reasonably well against the top teams. If we assume Weiss can be productive here, he essentially replaces Alfie (assuming he doesn't come back). Add in some others and we have the making of some very nice depth. Fortunately, we could have a couple openings, and the cap space, to improve that even further. Possibly even some pretty big improvements.

Our defense needs work. While Smith and Dekeyser may still improve, and we have some decent prospects, I think we need more. We need to be steadier on the bottom pair, a better #4, and much better on offense. I wouldn't want to count on Smith and the kids to provide that. At least not this year or next.

But I think we're getting our threads crossed here. This is the deadline thread, not the next year thread.

Hank's surgery gives us a bit of flexibility, but I still don't think we have the pieces to add multiple players (good ones anyway). Maybe a cheap depth scorer currently under the radar. Can't think of anyone off the top of my head. Mostly I'd focus on "cheap". I don't think we're in a position where it makes any sense to give much away.

Earnhardt died Feb 18, 2001. Hasek trade was July 1st, 2001. but I do agree that I don't expect much in the way of moves from the Wings

I was sitting in frankenmuth with my dad when we got hasek and we got so excites we were giving high fives as the news of dale earnhardt passing was the focus in the news.
It looked bad.
Ha.
I've got to think now that z will probably be on ltir that a trade is more of a possibility, but I'm Still not expecting much.
Depth defenseman maybe but there won't be any blockbuster, we have some good forwards going forward and no one would give us enough for us to trade them.

Now if we stand pat, and I hope we do, play the following lineup:

Nyqusit-Datsyuk-Alfie

Franzen-Weiss-Pulkinnan

Jurco-Sheahan-Tatar

Abby-Helm-Callahan

E-Kronwall

DD-Kindl/Q

Lashoff-Smith

Let the kids play and see what we got. Once Franzen and Weiss get hurt again-within 10 games is my bet, move in Glendening and Miller. Everyone else can sit the bench, go play in GR or be cut.

No way in hell does Pulk's get slotted into the top 6. If Tatar can't make it, no way Pulks does.