• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

nyqvististhefuture

Trade deadline fast approaching - who should we target?

Rate this topic

Yeah but jagr didn't even talk about retirement so he could play a few more years

Neither did lidstrom. And we all saw what chelios ended up like, point is nick knows his body better then anyone. We would all love to have him back, but who knows how well he would keep up at 44 years old

Dark, I put Pulk on the "second" line because he isn't a checker for Helms line nor do I want to break up the Jurco-Sheahan-tatar trio, they are/were playing well.

Rick, what I mean is/was, in a league were everyone is cap tight, having CHEAP young talent is very important. With the Cap jumping back up and everyone having lots of cap room the premium on CHEAP disappears. BTW according to Cap Geek as of today 23 teams have 15+ million in cap space for next year. Most of the 7 teams with less than 15 million still have buyouts they could use. What this does is puts the focus back on talent-regardless of cost. teams have the room to do whatever they believe they need.

Dark, I put Pulk on the "second" line because he isn't a checker for Helms line nor do I want to break up the Jurco-Sheahan-tatar trio, they are/were playing well.

Rick, what I mean is/was, in a league were everyone is cap tight, having CHEAP young talent is very important. With the Cap jumping back up and everyone having lots of cap room the premium on CHEAP disappears. BTW according to Cap Geek as of today 23 teams have 15+ million in cap space for next year. Most of the 7 teams with less than 15 million still have buyouts they could use. What this does is puts the focus back on talent-regardless of cost. teams have the room to do whatever they believe they need.

I would love to see him there, but I look at your 4th line and notice someone that almost always plays in the top 6.

Rick, what I mean is/was, in a league were everyone is cap tight, having CHEAP young talent is very important. With the Cap jumping back up and everyone having lots of cap room the premium on CHEAP disappears. BTW according to Cap Geek as of today 23 teams have 15+ million in cap space for next year. Most of the 7 teams with less than 15 million still have buyouts they could use. What this does is puts the focus back on talent-regardless of cost. teams [without an internal budget] have the room to do whatever they believe they need.

Most of the teams anyways...

Probably more than he's worth, given the year he's having. Also don't think the Isles would trade him.

That depends on if you consider the year he's having a breakout year and sign of things to come, or whether it's just a freak occurrence. I don't know the answer to that, but it's worth noting that he's generally trended upward (with the exception of an injury year and the lockout year) after being brought into the league too early and having to learn on the fly in the NHL. It's not unreasonable to think that he's a star in the making and this is his coming out party. Then again, it's not unreasonable to think he's just having a freak year either.

Edited by kipwinger

For me, I think Nyquist's upside is more than I'm willing to trade. For me, I said. I honestly don't know much about Okposo at this point though, although, it appears he's having an amazing season. Especially playing on the Island.

Apparently, the Steve Ott rumors are starting to ramp up again. I actually think he'd be a nice addition, considering what we lack and what he brings to the table. But IMO if Kenny is gonna make a move it should really be a d-man. I know we lost Hank for the rest of the reg season. But with all the promising young guys we have, along with a healthy Weiss and a healthy Franzen, defense needs to be the number 1 focus (although I still highly doubt we'll be making any moves before the deadline).

I do like the idea of Ott, but is he a center? I think with the four centers we have and with Weiss coming back soon, we are pretty stacked at center. Even with sending Glendening back down, we still have Dats, Helm, Sheahan, Weiss and Andersson... Not saying Ott is beyond playing on the wing, but I am like you, the D is of utmost importance. I only like Ott if we can re-sign him and utilize his abilities for a few years, not just a month...

Trade: Quincey, Kindl, Almqvist, Andersson and draft picks to get the things we need for the playoff run. If we shore up the D this week, then we can maybe focus on a #1 scorer in July. I posted in the other thread my interest in Derek Morris and Willie Mitchell AND the prospects of keeping them around for two more years... Those two could (on the cheap) solidify our D and then we could go after a big gun over the summer...

I do like the idea of Ott, but is he a center? I think with the four centers we have and with Weiss coming back soon, we are pretty stacked at center. Even with sending Glendening back down, we still have Dats, Helm, Sheahan, Weiss and Andersson... Not saying Ott is beyond playing on the wing, but I am like you, the D is of utmost importance. I only like Ott if we can re-sign him and utilize his abilities for a few years, not just a month...

Trade: Quincey, Kindl, Almqvist, Andersson and draft picks to get the things we need for the playoff run. If we shore up the D this week, then we can maybe focus on a #1 scorer in July. I posted in the other thread my interest in Derek Morris and Willie Mitchell AND the prospects of keeping them around for two more years... Those two could (on the cheap) solidify our D and then we could go after a big gun over the summer...

Ott plays LW a lot too. I don't think Babs would like him too much thou

Question. How active do you think you will be (at the deadline).

Holland - No interest in a rental, only a "hockey deal" because of our playoff uncertainty.

Continues on to say..."It'd be pretty hard to miss the playoffs and then go to the draft and we've got a top 14 pick and we don't own it."

"We feel good about our goaltending"

"We feel good about our depth up front with the way the kids have played"

"We would love to have one more veteran defenceman. All our defencemen in the AHL are really just kids."

Then continued with a recap that he's going to work the phones looking for a hockey deal or for a veteran defencemen. That's the plan.

LINK

Holland - No interest in a rental, only a "hockey deal" because of our playoff uncertainty.

Continues on to say..."It'd be pretty hard to miss the playoffs and then go to the draft and we've got a top 14 pick and we don't own it."

"We would love to have one more veteran defenceman. All our defencemen in the AHL are really just kids."

Then continued with a recap that he's going to work the phones looking for a hockey deal or for a veteran defencemen. That's the plan.

LINK

Honestly the way this season has played out, I would rather just let the kids play if we miss the playoffs. I do not want him to make any moves that cause any of the kids to be traded away, and watch them flourish somewhere else. I know you have to give to get, but unless it's the absolute right move, let's keep our top 14 pick, our youth and the experience they gained this year and start fresh next. Cut the losers like Cleary, Sammy, Bert and don't replace them with other plays just like them.

LINK

Was about to post this. Pretty much what I was thinking though. Add depth to the back end. Besides saying he wants to keep our first, he wasn't too clear about what he wants to move.

About a week to the trade deadline. It should heat up this weekend. Can anyone give even a partial rundown of who is on the market?

hi-res-a7bd095b357b0998f87d49f4fd342c2a_Scott Audette/Getty Images

The NHL roster freeze that was put into effect while the Olympics took place has been lifted. In other words, let the free-for-all on the trade market before the March 5 deadline begin!

With many folks still hockey crazed after a great Olympic tournament, all eyes will now turn to the trade market, as contenders will look to bolster their rosters and the bottom-feeders look to sell off their stars to the highest bidder.

Let's take a look at the latest NHL buzz.

Martin St. Louis, Ryan Callahan and Dan Girardi

hi-res-2244988f49c71f074df4b5adf819fc0c_ Scott Levy/Getty Images

Could Martin St. Louis be angling for a trade away from the Tampa Bay Lightning? He certainly was thought to want out earlier this month, according to Nick Kypreos of Sportsnet:

Larry Brooks of the New York Post adds to that report:

Blueshirts
’ general manager Glen
Sather
has inquired about a potential swap of team captains in which pending free agent Ryan Callahan would go to the Lightning in exchange for St. Louis, but (Lightning general manager Steve) Yzerman’s absolute lack of interest in dealing his leading scorer in exchange for a rental property has been made clear to the Rangers.

The Rangers have made no progress whatsoever in bridging the gap regarding a contract extension with Callahan, who is due in New York on Monday on his return trip from
Sochi
. His asking price of seven years at approximately $6.75 million per year is believed well beyond what the Lightning would be willing to pay to keep him from hitting the open market.

Sather
, who has thus far been willing to go five years for approximately $6 million per (perhaps a tad more) to keep Callahan in New York, appears committed to dealing the 28-year-old, two-time USA Olympian to the highest bidder rather than allowing him to escape
scot
-free on July 1.

According to Brooks, Dan Girardi could also be put on the trading block if he doesn't agree to a contract extension. Expect the Rangers to be quite busy ahead of the trade deadline.

As for St. Louis' situation, you'd have to imagine the Lightning don't want to lose him. He's scored 25 goals and has totaled 56 points so far this season and is showing no signs of slowing down at the age of 38.

The Lightning are currently second in the Atlantic Division and third in the Eastern Conference, so shaking up the team by moving a player as important as St. Louis would be risky and likely a very unpopular move with the fans.

As of now, it still seems unlikely to happen. But stay tuned.

Michael Cammalleri, Jaromir Jagr and the New Jersey Devils

hi-res-734fea99eb4544b2ed575b7a0ba53318_ Michael Martin/Getty Images

According to Wes Gilbertson of the Calgary Sun, the New Jersey Devils could either be buyers or sellers at this deadline:

Despite their scoring struggles, the Devils currently sit three points out of the final playoff spot in the Eastern Conference. Devils GM Lou
Lamoriello
is rumoured to have interest in (Mike)
Cammalleri
, but there is also talk he might make ageless wonder Jaromir Jagr available at the trade deadline, so the next few games could be the determining factor in whether this squad is buying or selling. The Devils don’t have a first-round pick in the 2014 NHL Draft and need to re-stock their farm system, so they’ll have to decide if they’re willing to surrender any assets for a playoff push.

Gilbertson speculates that the Anaheim Ducks, Los Angeles Kings and Pittsburgh Penguins could also potentially make a push for Cammalleri, so the Calgary Flames should have some options if they decide to make him available.

Gilbertson also suggests the Flames could decide to sign him to a contract extension.

The 31-year-old has scored 13 goals and added eight assists for the Flames this season, so he would be a nice complementary piece for a contender down the stretch. He's a safe bet to reach 20 goals this season, so expect teams to inquire about Cammalleri right up until the deadline.

Odds and Ends

hi-res-04f47edf960c804bcbe1f191e843a766_ Mike Stobe/Getty Images

Brett Cyrgalis of the New York Post thinks it is "inevitable" that New York Islanders general manager Garth Snow will trade Thomas Vanek before the deadline and is looking for a "first-round pick, in addition to a second-rounder or a high-level prospect."

To his credit, Vanek is taking the rumors in stride, telling Cyrgalis, "It’s part of the business. I’ve been through it once now, and whatever happens, happens. I’m happy to be back here today to see the guys and practice and get ready for Thursday.”

According to that report, Snow could also look to move defenseman Andrew MacDonald.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1971735-nhl-trade-rumors-latest-buzz-following-2014-winter-olympics

Edited by darkmanx

a hockey deal for a veteran defenseman sounds a lot like Mitchell and Morris could fit that bill... I can hope something like that happens...

I like what Holland says about the team. It's been pretty much my view as well. O is good, need help on D. Of course I am not the biggest Howard fan, but if he can turn it around and do it soon...hey maybe we get to see that USA helmet that he had made for the Olympics, because like I said in the thread, not going to see it in the press box...

Trade Q and K and Almqvist.

Vanek ----------- definitely moving
MacDonald
Visnovsky ------ rumors he wants out
Miller
Moulson
Ott
Tallinder
Cammalleri ------ contract talks reportedly going very badly
Hemsky --------- always rumored to be on the move
Legwand
Callahan -------- contract talks not going well