• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

nyqvististhefuture

Trade deadline fast approaching - who should we target?

Rate this topic

I hope not. Edler is good, but it would cost us a lot in assets... I do not want to give away any of our kids that are already up. The only prospects I am comfortable with giving away are Almqvist and Ferraro. And I am on the fence with Ferraro, because I would like to see him prosper or fail here, instead of prosper somewhere else...

The good about Edler is, he is signed for a few more years and with the cap going up, we could still get a solid #3-#6 D man and try to address our #1 line scorer.

If we dumped Q and K and acquired Edler, our D is much better, so I would be good with that. Would still love to have a guy like Morris on the second pairing...even with Edler.

Kronwall - Edler

Ericsson - Morris

Dekeyser - Smith (unless he is dealt for Edler)

Lashoff/Marchenko

I could be happy with that. Edler is not a rental and he is a veteran of sorts, its a hockey move, and he is Swedish...has Holland written all over it! :lol:

Edited by LeftWinger

Question. How active do you think you will be (at the deadline).

Holland - No interest in a rental, only a "hockey deal" because of our playoff uncertainty.

Continues on to say..."It'd be pretty hard to miss the playoffs and then go to the draft and we've got a top 14 pick and we don't own it."

"We feel good about our goaltending"

"We feel good about our depth up front with the way the kids have played"

"We would love to have one more veteran defenceman. All our defencemen in the AHL are really just kids."

Then continued with a recap that he's going to work the phones looking for a hockey deal or for a veteran defencemen. That's the plan.

LINK

Ever since the cap era started; Holland has been passive on the trade front and I wouldn't expect this year to be any different. He had been unwilling to upgrade the club at the deadline in the years the Wings had a great chance at winning the Cup, and now with a chance at winning the Stanley Cup minimal he has very little motivation in upgrading the team with proven players while trading picks or prospects.

Frankly I'm tired of watching the trade deadline special every year and hoping against hope that Holland and Co. will make a move; while knowing damn well that no trade will come.

Holland is like the guy with the dollar bill on the string in the old prank. Every time we at LGW think that he will finally make a move he just pulls the string with the dollar bill away and we end up with nothing but air.

I just don't see why we would make a move now. Our season is crap and going to get worse. Unless we are getting Crosby for Quincey, there isn't a good fit atm. Deadline deals are very expensive. More than off season deals. Why pay the higher prices now, when we need several pieces. better off waiting until summer. let the kids come up and play and see what they can do.

I just don't see why we would make a move now. Our season is crap and going to get worse. Unless we are getting Crosby for Quincey, there isn't a good fit atm. Deadline deals are very expensive. More than off season deals. Why pay the higher prices now, when we need several pieces. better off waiting until summer. let the kids come up and play and see what they can do.

This was how I felt last year, but then we made the playoffs and took off. So while the chance to make the playoffs hasn't completely evaporated, the brass should do all they can to upgrade the team even though we all know they won't.

Love Callahan if available, would be a great fit.

Meh, if he's really looking for a deal in the 7yr/$6.5-7M range, I want no part of him.

This was how I felt last year, but then we made the playoffs and took off. So while the chance to make the playoffs hasn't completely evaporated, the brass should do all they can to upgrade the team even though we all know they won't.

That depends on what you mean by "do all they can" and "upgrade the team".

If you mean upgrade for this year, there's a hell of a lot that could be done that would be incredibly stupid from an organizational standpoint. If you mean upgrading the organization as a whole, upgrading for the future without sacrificing this year or upgrading this year without sacrificing the future (or both), that "all they can" list is likely to be pretty short.

Sounds to me like you just want to see something happen so you have some news to get excited about. But easing fan boredom is a poor excuse for making a trade.

I would agree (though not necessarily with "crap and going to get worse" part), and it would seem Holland does too. However, not all deadline deals are expensive and/or rentals. Something like the Stuart deal would make sense; a veteran defensive defenseman wouldn't likely cost a lot. Most teams looking for defenseman at the deadline tend to focus on puck-movers.

A scorer probably isn't likely, since the demand is usually so high. But there's a lot of teams with little cap space, so who knows.

That depends on what you mean by "do all they can" and "upgrade the team".

If you mean upgrade for this year, there's a hell of a lot that could be done that would be incredibly stupid from an organizational standpoint. If you mean upgrading the organization as a whole, upgrading for the future without sacrificing this year or upgrading this year without sacrificing the future (or both), that "all they can" list is likely to be pretty short.

Sounds to me like you just want to see something happen so you have some news to get excited about. But easing fan boredom is a poor excuse for making a trade.

Well let me be a bit more clear. I never advocated mortgaging the future for a quick fix, but let's not kid ourselves whether we're talking about this year, next year or 4 years down the line this team needs to upgrade. IMHO the worst thing an organization can do is over value their prospects, which is something that the Wings organization is prone to do. While it's fun to watch all these young kids play, very few prospects turn into good NHL players and even fewer prospects turn into stars. There is a reason that Holland went out and spent 30 mil on Weiss: there is just no way to build a competitive team with only AHL players. So what happens to all the prospects the WIngs have in Grand Rapids? They can't all play for the Wings. Some will end up stuck in Grand Rapids for far too long overshadowed by overpriced veterans as in Nyquist's case while the team suffers, other will be playing for the WIngs but will spend much less time on the ice which will hinder there development. So while it might hurt to part with younger talent(who we can;t be sure are even going to be any good), it is a necessary part of the business. That being said every team should have their untouchables; a list which should include guys like: Tatar, Nyquist, and several others. They just can't all be labeled untouchable. Kindle had a good season last year, which most likely raised his value on the open market but management overvalued him, held on to him and now he is struggling. Holland believes in his prospects so much that he went out and got Quincey back for a first rounder after just letting him leave because of roster space.

Injuries not withstanding this team was built with far too many holes in it, and to plug those holes trades have to be made. Ever since more and more teams started re-signing their young players before they become free agents; the free agent market has had fewer top players on it and most of them want big bucks. Even mediocre players are cleaning up. With the Salary cap, free agency has become a terrible place to rebuild a team. As much as we would all love to keep our young prospects for the fear of them becoming good players somewhere else it's just not plausible. So I beliveve that there is nothing wrong with trading a few younger players along with draft picks to help improve a team, you just have to be smart about the trade you make. Quincey for a first rounder equals bad trade, but finding a way to get a guy like Vanek or Girardi for example and having exclusive negotiating rights with them, will help the team now and in the future.

Well let me be a bit more clear. I never advocated mortgaging the future for a quick fix, but let's not kid ourselves whether we're talking about this year, next year or 4 years down the line this team needs to upgrade. IMHO the worst thing an organization can do is over value their prospects, which is something that the Wings organization is prone to do. While it's fun to watch all these young kids play, very few prospects turn into good NHL players and even fewer prospects turn into stars. There is a reason that Holland went out and spent 30 mil on Weiss: there is just no way to build a competitive team with only AHL players. So what happens to all the prospects the WIngs have in Grand Rapids? They can't all play for the Wings. Some will end up stuck in Grand Rapids for far too long overshadowed by overpriced veterans as in Nyquist's case while the team suffers, other will be playing for the WIngs but will spend much less time on the ice which will hinder there development. So while it might hurt to part with younger talent(who we can;t be sure are even going to be any good), it is a necessary part of the business. That being said every team should have their untouchables; a list which should include guys like: Tatar, Nyquist, and several others. They just can't all be labeled untouchable. Kindle had a good season last year, which most likely raised his value on the open market but management overvalued him, held on to him and now he is struggling. Holland believes in his prospects so much that he went out and got Quincey back for a first rounder after just letting him leave because of roster space.

Injuries not withstanding this team was built with far too many holes in it, and to plug those holes trades have to be made. Ever since more and more teams started re-signing their young players before they become free agents; the free agent market has had fewer top players on it and most of them want big bucks. Even mediocre players are cleaning up. With the Salary cap, free agency has become a terrible place to rebuild a team. As much as we would all love to keep our young prospects for the fear of them becoming good players somewhere else it's just not plausible. So I beliveve that there is nothing wrong with trading a few younger players along with draft picks to help improve a team, you just have to be smart about the trade you make. Quincey for a first rounder equals bad trade, but finding a way to get a guy like Vanek or Girardi for example and having exclusive negotiating rights with them, will help the team now and in the future.

Nice wall of text, but to pretty much destroy it:

Current asking price for Steve Ott: First round draft pick and a top level prospect.

Any player that would constitute an upgrade and not a patch would be a player that would be a lot better than a Steve Ott level player. Thus would probably mean mortgaging the future to get said player.

Is Murray out of his mind a first and a top level! prospect for Steve Ott? Lol the Sabres better come to reality soon or Miller, Ott and Moulson are walking for zero in the summer.

Same goes to Snow and his asking prices no one will give up a first top level and b prospect for 2 months of Vanek.

Edited by frankgrimes

@AnsarKhanMLive: Holland said he will not sell at the trade deadline. Would like to make a hockey trade if possible. Trade that helps now and in future.

@AnsarKhanMLive: Holland won't trade a top prospect for a rental he said.

He shouldn't trade a top prospect for a rental, not necessarily trade a guy just to get a pick if it's going to hurt the chances of making the playoffs. I don't think dumping Quincey would be a big deal, and certainly if he can get a pick for Cleary or Bertuzzi he should, but anything else should be something that improves the team for this year and going forward.

Nice wall of text, but to pretty much destroy it:

Current asking price for Steve Ott: First round draft pick and a top level prospect.

Any player that would constitute an upgrade and not a patch would be a player that would be a lot better than a Steve Ott level player. Thus would probably mean mortgaging the future to get said player.

Trading prospects for good players and then keeping them is not the same thing as mortgaging your future for a patch.

There are always plenty of trades made and not all of them are of the Ott for the entire farm system variety.

Trading prospects for good players and then keeping them is not the same thing as mortgaging your future for a patch.

There are always plenty of trades made and not all of them are of the Ott for the entire farm system variety.

So you're talking a Bobby Ryan type deal or a lesser version of that or what?

Any way you look at it, if you have a proven roster player coming back with term and value then your going to give up a valuable roster player and/or top prospect and/or high draft pick.

Sproul being called up is interesting. Kindl is the only defenseman out from what I know. Could there be a trade?

Calling up a defenseman would then indicate that Holland is looking to move a defenseman, but any defenseman on the team must be replaced. Kronwall is not being traded. Dekeyser is not being traded. Lashoff will not yield much return. That leaves Ericsson, Smith and Quincey. Doubt they would trade Ericsson. To make a trade, it should be an upgrade. So maybe a Smith/Quincey and Nyquist for ?

I'm not sure what is out there, but Holland like veterans. I would hope someone with a physical presence.

Well let me be a bit more clear. I never advocated mortgaging the future for a quick fix, but let's not kid ourselves whether we're talking about this year, next year or 4 years down the line this team needs to upgrade. IMHO the worst thing an organization can do is over value their prospects, which is something that the Wings organization is prone to do.

I disagree with the premise that the Wings overvalue their prospects. Not trading prospects and not following through with some of the trade suggestions that fans make-some of which are completely off the wall, doesn't mean that they're overvaluing their prospects. It means that they place good value on them, and won't make a move just to make a move. They have a lot better handle on what they can be reasonably be expected to do than anyone outside of the organization, and generally keep the guys that turn into good players and the guys they move usually don't turn into anything special. Between the salary cap situation and a limited number of top players being moved compared to what it was like before the cap, it doesn't make a lot of sense to go over the top of some of the trades that are made, and a lot of fans tend to overvalue what the Wings have to trade anyway.

I'll use the Bobby Ryan trade as an example. I saw a lot of people saying that a package of Nyquist, Ouellet or Kindl, and a first would have been the same as Silfverberg and Noesen and a first. Not so. Silfverberg is bigger and younger than Nyquist, who at that point had just had a good career at Maine and a so-so NHL debut, and was a higher draft pick. Noesen was also bigger, younger, and projects to be as good or better than Ouellet, and is younger and potentially better than Kindl. In order to have gotten Ryan, Holland would have had to add value, and that's assuming the Ducks weren't set on getting SIlfverberg to the point of not wanting anyone the Wing had.