• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

nyqvististhefuture

Trade deadline fast approaching - who should we target?

Rate this topic

Holland's quote from today:

“Tonight (at Montreal) we’re going to sit out veteran players who could play in the NHL. I don’t know that I can make a deal that there’s many players out there that are better than those forwards.”

Is he seriously saying he can't make a trade for a better player then Cleary?

If TB trades him, it's going to be for immediate help on the wing or at center. Nyquist or Tatar would have to be part of the deal, along with a prospect or high draft pick. Even then I'm not sure that's enough.

This is Holland's shot at bringing in some offensive help in Zetterberg's absence, and with Yzerman at the other end, he might have a shot. Nyquist and a 2nd would be a decent return now that word is out St Louis asked for a trade. Remember, St Louis is 38, he is not going to play forever.

Holland's quote from today:

“Tonight (at Montreal) we’re going to sit out veteran players who could play in the NHL. I don’t know that I can make a deal that there’s many players out there that are better than those forwards.”

Is he seriously saying he can't make a trade for a better player then Cleary?

He's reffering to the young guys who are playing over veterans. Not the veterans (like Cleary) that are scratched.

He's saying, I'm not going to trade Nyquist, Sheahan, Tatar, or Jurco, because they are all better or will be better than the forwards on the market.

He's said this before as well, before Sochi.

This is Holland's shot at bringing in some offensive help in Zetterberg's absence, and with Yzerman at the other end, he might have a shot. Nyquist and a 2nd would be a decent return now that word is out St Louis asked for a trade. Remember, St Louis is 38, he is not going to play forever.

Exactly. He's not going to play forever, and I'm not sure that's going to be enough for Yzerman to move him. Someone else would probably be able to give up a better package. Beyond that, I don't necessarily want to move Nyquist for a 38 year old winger straight up, much less including anything else it would take. Unless there's a corresponding upgrade to the D, I don't see St. Louis making that much of a difference anyway. Then there's Holland's statement that he feels they're set up front even without Zetterberg because of Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, and Sheahan. http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2014/02/red_wings_ken_holland_says_hed.html

Rumour is he wants to go to New York. His home is in Greenwich. With that NTC he somewhat controls his destiny.

Besides I'm not so sure I'd be in favour of a deal including any of Nyquist, Jurco, Tatar for a 38 year old. If we were a serious contender then absolutely but we're just not there yet.

Exactly. He's not going to play forever, and I'm not sure that's going to be enough for Yzerman to move him. Someone else would probably be able to give up a better package. Beyond that, I don't necessarily want to move Nyquist for a 38 year old winger straight up, much less including anything else it would take. Unless there's a corresponding upgrade to the D, I don't see St. Louis making that much of a difference anyway. Then there's Holland's statement that he feels they're set up front even without Zetterberg because of Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, and Sheahan. http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2014/02/red_wings_ken_holland_says_hed.html

if St Louis is serious about wanting out, Yzerman's got no choice but to trade him. Holland has said a lot of things during the years. If he is in a position to extend the streak for 23 straight post season's without sacrificing too much, then he has to do it. Nyquist is a reasonable price I think.

if St Louis is serious about wanting out, Yzerman's got no choice but to trade him. Holland has said a lot of things during the years. If he is in a position to extend the streak for 23 straight post season's without sacrificing too much, then he has to do it. Nyquist is a reasonable price I think.

Why does Yzerman have no choice?

Rumour is he wants to go to New York. His home is in Greenwich. With that NTC he somewhat controls his destiny.

Besides I'm not so sure I'd be in favour of a deal including any of Nyquist, Jurco, Tatar for a 38 year old. If we were a serious contender then absolutely but we're just not there yet.

He might not be in favor of it, but to compare Marty to other 38 year olds is also unfair. He might be 38 but he's playing like he is 28.

He might not be in favor of it, but to compare Marty to other 38 year olds is also unfair. He might be 38 but he's playing like he is 28.

Yeah no s***, not a lot of 38 year olds winning Art Ross Trophies. Dude is awesome. Of course, without the second best goal scorer in the world on his line he doesn't put those numbers either.

Yeah no s***, not a lot of 38 year olds winning Art Ross Trophies. Dude is awesome. Of course, without the second best goal scorer in the world on his line he doesn't put those numbers either.

I'm sure he'd do just fine playing with Pav. And even though we all know that Holland won't trade for him it's still fun to imagine Pav playing with an actual scorer for once.

I'm sure he'd do just fine playing with Pav. And even though we all know that Holland won't trade for him it's still fun to imagine Pav playing with an actual scorer for once.

They'd be terrible together. They play almost the EXACT same game. Both need the puck on their stick to make things happen and neither are particularly good offensively without the puck. Stamkos would be good on Pav's wing, and St. Louis would be good with Ovie or Neal (shooters). But sticking a puckhandling playmaker with another puckhandling playmaker isn't a recipe for success.

Trade for Boyes, Morris and/or Mitchell....please. Not even sure if Morris or MItchell are available, but I would love those two guys on our D... Boyes helps with PP and Shootout...

Small veteran moves that wouldn't cost too much. A sensible hockey deal... re-sign all three over the summer to help usher in the kids...

They'd be terrible together. They play almost the EXACT same game. Both need the puck on their stick to make things happen and neither are particularly good offensively without the puck. Stamkos would be good on Pav's wing, and St. Louis would be good with Ovie or Neal (shooters). But sticking a puckhandling playmaker with another puckhandling playmaker isn't a recipe for success.

I disagree, Marty might be a playmaker but he can also score. And his playmaking abilities would also open up chances for Pav to score more.

Kinda like having Z and Pav together with Holmstrom several years back.

The other issue for trading for St. Louis is if he's pissed at being left off the Olympic team, why would he agree to waive his NTC to play for the coach of that team who had input into who made it and who was cut?

We are just spit-balling here, I don't think anyone actually thinks Holland will make the trade.

I disagree, Marty might be a playmaker but he can also score. And his playmaking abilities would also open up chances for Pav to score more.

Kinda like having Z and Pav together with Holmstrom several years back.

Hank led the team in shots and was top five in the league in shots back then (and is still quite close today). When he plays on Pav's wing he's looking to score goals. Pav doesn't shoot. Marty doesn't shoot that much either (compared to Z) so it would be silly to expect that much offense out of him. These days Marty makes his living feeding Stamkos and taking advantage of the Stamkos threat. We don't have anyone that good offensively (including Datsyuk) and so Marty wouldn't have the assists or free space to score goals.

Look, they're both great players and would surely have highlight reel goals from time to time. But anytime you take a force a guy to do something other than what makes him elite, you're being inefficient. If you have elite playmakers (St. Louis and Datsyuk) on the same line at least one of them isn't elite playmaking (trademarked) at any given time...which is inefficient (despite it being a Babcock wet dream). St. Louis would be better with Zetterberg, Alfie, or Franzen because he'd set them up and they'd finish...kinda like Dats already does.

Hank led the team in shots and was top five in the league in shots back then (and is still quite close today). When he plays on Pav's wing he's looking to score goals. Pav doesn't shoot. Marty doesn't shoot that much either (compared to Z) so it would be silly to expect that much offense out of him. These days Marty makes his living feeding Stamkos and taking advantage of the Stamkos threat. We don't have anyone that good offensively (including Datsyuk) and so Marty wouldn't have the assists or free space to score goals.

Look, they're both great players and would surely have highlight reel goals from time to time. But anytime you take a force a guy to do something other than what makes him elite, you're being inefficient. If you have elite playmakers (St. Louis and Datsyuk) on the same line at least one of them isn't elite playmaking (trademarked) at any given time...which is inefficient (despite it being a Babcock wet dream). St. Louis would be better with Zetterberg, Alfie, or Franzen because he'd set them up and they'd finish...kinda like Dats already does.

I agree that Dats would ideally like to have a pure scorer on his line but I think he would do just fine with Marty.

I knew you would bring up Z's shot totals and even though he shoots the puck a ton he has never been a great goal scorer. I still think of him as more of a great all around player but he's more of a playmaker that can score, same as Pav.

I agree that Dats would ideally like to have a pure scorer on his line but I think he would do just fine with Marty.

I knew you would bring up Z's shot totals and even though he shoots the puck a ton he has never been a great goal scorer. I still think of him as more of a great all around player but he's more of a playmaker that can score, same as Pav.

Zetterberg's goals per game is .36, St. Louis' is .35. They have the same assists per game at .58. So basically it's a wash. I concede.

i don't know why we are even discussing trades, as we all know there's more chance of me playing on the 1st line next season

than there is of Kenny making any move that involves us getting a top rated player in any deal this deadline.

For those who would like to have MSL, please take in consideration that:

Babs didn’t wanted him on the initial Canada hockey team in Sochi (this was largely discussed) MSL wasn’t happy with that. Once that Stamkos was rulled out, then Stevie decided to bring MSL instead of Giroux who seemed to be Babs 1st choice…
Do you really think that MSL would be interested to waive his NTC and get traded to Detroit?

If Kenny is going to make a move, I could see him going after:

* Jagr or Boyes (even if I think that we don't need more forwards).

* Gilbert or Zidlicky could be an options on DEF.

Part of me feels bad for Stevie Y, but the other part of me does not blame St Louis for being mad about not making team Canada. To this day, I have no idea how the eff Kunitz made the team over St Louis... Kunitz even looked like he could not keep up with that elite level of talent. In saying that, it takes away from Marty St Louis the person and leader. No matter what, a good leader does not just turn on his team, his teammates and his fan base like that.

Part of me feels bad for Stevie Y, but the other part of me does not blame St Louis for being mad about not making team Canada. To this day, I have no idea how the eff Kunitz made the team over St Louis... Kunitz even looked like he could not keep up with that elite level of talent. In saying that, it takes away from Marty St Louis the person and leader. No matter what, a good leader does not just turn on his team, his teammates and his fan base like that.

I think the Marty exodus started in the offseason when Vinny was bought out. And it only got worse when Stevie didn't add him to the Olympic team, again. I'm sure he has love for the fans and his teammates but it's tough when you feel like your boss has no confidence in you as a player.

Kunitz shouldn't have been there, but if he didn't go who would have carried Crosby's luggage around Sochi?