• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

nyqvististhefuture

Trade deadline fast approaching - who should we target?

Rate this topic

PK Subban is a Norris Trophy winner. Tyler Myers is a chronic underachiever whose team is desperately trying to get rid of him. If you think that comparison is valid I don't know what to tell you.

and Myers won the Calder .... Subban won the Norris but it was a shortened season so as nice as that was for him doesn't mean as much to me as someone who wins during a full seAson

And Subban was benched for team canada for a reason

We probably wouldn't have to overpay...because he's not very good and he's signed to a prohibitive contract. There's a reason you'd get him cheap...he's not worth the money. Just because you CAN get a guy doesn't mean you should. We're right in the thick of a playoff race and we're seriously talking about trading for a guy who makes more money and plays worse than the guy we're talking about moving out...all because a change of scenery MIGHT do him good? No thanks. Trade for Gilbert, or MacDonald, or Erhoff. At least they've got a track record of success. Or don't trade for anyone. All of those options are better than trading for a guy who's not very good in hopes that years from now he'll improve.

If Holland traded Quincey for Myers and we missed the playoffs...particularly if Myers continued with his piss poor defensive play...everyone here would be ready to burn them both at the stake.

I don't care if we trade Quincey for a bag of Doritos. Mmmmm nacho cheese....

But I digress, you make Myers sound like the second coming of Lebda. He's a good not great player but he's certainly not as horrible as you make him seem. Yeah, he's been bad lately, but so was Cleary before Holland signed him. I think he would do great in the Wings environment. Erhoff and Edler would be preferable but would cost an arm and a leg, and if I'm overpaying I'd rather get a scorer.

and Myers won the Calder .... Subban won the Norris but it was a shortened season so as nice as that was for him doesn't mean as much to me as someone who wins during a full seAson

And Subban was benched for team canada for a reason

Wow I feel like you're accidentally trying to make my points for me. PK Subban was benched on a stacked Team Canada. Tyler Myers didn't even get a try out for a less stacked Team USA. Why do you keep trying to compare Subban to Myers? Subban is clearly 2,000,000 times better than Myers. They're not even close to comparable.

That 7 yr contract would be a nightmare In 3-4 yrs

A 4 million cap hit would be a nightmare? For a solid, proven dman? I'll tell you what contract is a nightmare. It's the 5.5 mil cap hit that follows Tyler Myers that is absolutely untradable.

There will always be a bottom feeder willing to take a player like Erhoff to reach the cap floor if he were to not be effective 4 years down the road. Good luck getting someone to take on 5.5 mil for a 6'8 turnover machine

There's not a disconnect at all. He plays a similar style to Pronger or Chara...if Pronger or Chara were bad instead of really good. He's a defensive d-man who gets PP points because of a big shot. Myers is absolutely nothing like Green...who is essentially another forward.

Not sure what your point is since Chara and Pronger are offensive D-man that play good defense. Myers is also an offensive d-man he's just not as good defensively. Bad contract but still only 24.

I don't care if we trade Quincey for a bag of Doritos. Mmmmm nacho cheese....

But I digress, you make Myers sound like the second coming of Lebda. He's a good not great player but he's certainly not as horrible as you make him seem. Yeah, he's been bad lately, but so was Cleary before Holland signed him. I think he would do great in the Wings environment. Erhoff and Edler would be preferable but would cost an arm and a leg, and if I'm overpaying I'd rather get a scorer.

I'm not saying Myers is horrible. I'm saying he's not very good. He's Smith...except he makes 6 million bucks. So signing him would be HORRIBLE. He turns the puck over a lot and blows coverage, just like a lot of young d-men. But he doesn't get paid like a young defeseman who's still learning, he gets paid like a stud (he's not). He's not an upgrade over either Quincey or Dekeyser, so why trade for him (unless you want 6 million bucks on your third pair). I don't.

Not sure what your point is since Chara and Pronger are offensive D-man that play good defense. Myers is also an offensive d-man he's just not as good defensively. Bad contract but still only 24.

Chara and Pronger are offensive defensemen? You realize that when people talk about offensive minded defensemen they're not talking about guys who score on the PP right? They're talking about guys who look to generate 5-on-5 offense from the back end, like Mike Green, Keith Yandle, Dan Boyle, Brian Campbell.

Pronger and Chara are not offensive minded d-man. Not in this world or any other. If you think so, I don't know what to tell you.

@ wings87 sorry chara is by no means a offensive dman he has (had) better defense than anyone... Pronger was a beast!!

Chara is not as big of an offensive force anymore because they inexplicably put him in front of the net and not blasting shots from the point on the PP. Whose bright idea was that?

Hated the guy but damn was Pronger awesome, shame what happened to him he still had a few good years left.

In the end, Myers would be a HUGE risk. That isn't Holland's style, and I'm thankful for that. All these kids in the lineup we all love? We wouldn't have half of them if Holland made all the trades a lot of people here keep wanting.

Sure the potential reward for landing Myers would be big. Far too big a risk to take. Ehrhoff is the safe option. He is the kind of player who would fit in with this team well. The guy can put up 50 points a season, and when paired with the right person, hold his own in the defensive side of things. 4 million per year is very reasonable for what he would bring to the table. Especially when pretty well half of the salary for his contract has already been paid to him. He'd be a steal for this team, and make our back end a lot better going forward.

The team as a whole sucks .... They have multiple players In The -20s and teens and I won't pretend to know the numbers but I'm guessing myers probably logs the most ice time ....Subban getting benched by thierren yesterday cause of his mistake was a big story all day In montreal , your telling me you wouldn't take Subban cause he's always making mistakes on defense?

Myers on the right team might bounce back

Fixed that for ya. Unless they can get him for next to nothing, that contract is too bad to take the risk.

Chara and Pronger are offensive defensemen? You realize that when people talk about offensive minded defensemen they're not talking about guys who score on the PP right? They're talking about guys who look to generate 5-on-5 offense from the back end, like Mike Green, Keith Yandle, Dan Boyle, Brian Campbell.

Pronger and Chara are not offensive minded d-man. Not in this world or any other. If you think so, I don't know what to tell you.

For.sure can probably add subban doughty somewhat and def karlsson... I agree both chara and pronger were d first but pronger was able to do it all till maybe last 2 years he played

Fixed that for ya. Unless they can get him for next to nothing, that contract is too bad to take the risk.

If we can add Stewart some way (I'm not sure of his cap # tho)

Edited by brooklynsour

I'm not saying Myers is horrible. I'm saying he's not very good. He's Smith...except he makes 6 million bucks. So signing him would be HORRIBLE. He turns the puck over a lot and blows coverage, just like a lot of young d-men. But he doesn't get paid like a young defeseman who's still learning, he gets paid like a stud (he's not). He's not an upgrade over either Quincey or Dekeyser, so why trade for him (unless you want 6 million bucks on your third pair). I don't.

You can't seriously be trying to tell me that Pronger and Chara don't create offense? Come on.

Anyway, as far as Myers goes maybe I don't watch him enough but as a fall back from the big boys I think he would be an upgrade.

Edited by wings87

Jesus, The Fourth Period has the Wings in on Edler AND Kesler. Says the asking price is a young proven roster player, top prospect, and high draft pick for each. I don't know who they'd want or who Holland considers untouchable, but could you imagine?

People complained about J-Bo's cap hit when he was being shopped, yet some are ok with Myers. I don't get it.

Jesus, The Fourth Period has the Wings in on Edler AND Kesler. Says the asking price is a young proven roster player, top prospect, and high draft pick for each. I don't know who they'd want or who Holland considers untouchable, but could you imagine?

Would be nice to land both. Just hate to see what it would cost us. I think Ehrhoff and Stewart can be had for cheaper. I think we can take comfort in the fact that Holland will not sell the farm for these guys.

I'd guess Jarnkrok, Jurco and Nyquist would be the names for top prospects. For proven roster players your guess is as good as mine.

You can't seriously be trying to tell me that Pronger and Chara don't create offense? Come on.

Anyway, as far as Myers goes maybe I don't watch him enough but as a fall back from the big boys I think he would be an upgrade.

You can't seriously have read my last post and thought that what I said was "Pronger and Chara don't create offense". They do. But they're defense first defenseman who chipped in offense. But chipping in offense wasn't their main responsibility or concern. Compare that to Erik Karlsson...who is an offensive defenseman. If you still don't recognize the difference you're being intentionally obstinate.

They generate offense but defense first they wouldn't (particularly chara) just take the puck and attempt to skate goal lie to goal line

How many defenceman do you know that take the puck end to end anymore? Are there any left? The offensive defenceman has evolved with the times.

How many defenceman do you know that take the puck end to end anymore? Are there any left? The offensive defenceman has evolved with the times.

Wait, so you REALLY don't see the difference between Pronger or Chara and Karlsson or Subban? You think they're all offensive defensemen? Really?

Edited by kipwinger

I'd guess Jarnkrok, Jurco and Nyquist would be the names for top prospects. For proven roster players your guess is as good as mine.

Nahh, Vancouver wants players who can grow into the type of guys they are trading. Q, one of our highly touted D prospects and a high draft pick for Edler would be my guess (as they want an NHL player back that can help them now). Don't rip on me for god sakes, I'm just trying to speculate. There is a reason I'm an Engineering student and not an NHL GM :lol:

Man, I just don't see the need for Kesler at all. Especially with Weiss coming back, the Red Wings are deep at forward. I'm really opposed to giving up Nyquist, Tatar or Jurco in a deal.

I'm okay with Kesler, I just don't think he'd wanna come here. I get the feeling he cannot stand Detroit. I'd rather Stewart if we get a forward.

Edit: But only if we land a top 4 dman as well, as that is the bigger need. A forward would be nice as to have someone to take Alfie's place going forward

Edited by marcaractac