• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

nyqvististhefuture

Trade deadline fast approaching - who should we target?

Rate this topic

Sproul, Mrazek, Mantha, Athanasiou, Jurco and Jarnkrok all have top end potential. Pulkinen and Sheahan are potential 2nd line forwards. Marchenko, Ouellet, Backman, and Jensen all project as solid to good NHL d-men. Then there are Nyquist, Tatar, and Dekeyser. This team will not go the way of the Flames.

Athanasiou doesn't have top end potential. Sproul could, but, defensemen are a crapshoot especially early in their career, look at Smith and Kindl. Jarnkrok outside of his current hotsteak hasn't adjusted that well to the North American game and I would still label him as boom-bust. Pulkkinen will be the next Gretzky, no one is allowed to question that.

But if half of them become everyday NHL players the Red Wings will have hit gold, and even if only 1/3rd pan out they will consider those draft years successful. But as I said, other than Mantha not one of those are blue-chip talent, they all could be NHL players, or they could not, its still up in the air.

Also you have to take the time consideration into it by the time most of these players make it to the NHL, if they ever do, and adjust enough to make an impact more than likely Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Kronwall, and Franzen are either retired or declining.

Edited by Shaman

Sproul, Mrazek, Mantha, Athanasiou, Jurco and Jarnkrok all have top end potential. Pulkinen and Sheahan are potential 2nd line forwards. Marchenko, Ouellet, Backman, and Jensen all project as solid to good NHL d-men. Then there are Nyquist, Tatar, and Dekeyser. This team will not go the way of the Flames.

Agreed. We've all probably been frustrated at one time or another (or all the time for some people) with Holland's fear of making big-ish moves via trade over the years, but I still give him and the rest of the front office credit for drafting from low rounds quite well for so many years. Some of these long-term contracts and re-signings made me do a face-palm like many others. Maybe people are right for hammering him over his propensity to err on the side of caution, but I'm still happy to see the young talent we've got coming up (even if many of them age in the minors longer than we'd like). This is all part of the payment for how much we got to enjoy the run from the mid-90s to 2009. All that said, damn it would be cool to see a real move at the deadline for somebody who can help right now on the blue line or a power forward or something.

Athanasiou doesn't have top end potential. Sproul could, but, defensemen are a crapshoot especially early in their career, look at Smith and Kindl. Jarnkrok outside of his current hotsteak hasn't adjusted that well to the North American game and I would still label him as boom-bust. Pulkkinen will be the next Gretzky, no one is allowed to question that.

But if half of them become everyday NHL players the Red Wings will have hit gold, and even if only 1/3rd pan out they will consider those draft years successful. But as I said, other than Mantha not one of those are blue-chip talent, they all could be NHL players, or they could not, its still up in the air.

What makes you say that about Athanasiou? He has size, elite speed, is scoring a ton and is willing to work at his weaknesses. Sproul might end up not making it, but the same can be said for anyone. I'd say that Jarnkrok's hot streak means he's adjusted. Pulk might not make it but his overall game has already improved and the kid is a sponge for info.

What makes you say that about Athanasiou? He has size, elite speed, is scoring a ton and is willing to work at his weaknesses. Sproul might end up not making it, but the same can be said for anyone. I'd say that Jarnkrok's hot streak means he's adjusted. Pulk might not make it but his overall game has already improved and the kid is a sponge for info.

Athanasiou's numbers look good in the OHL, but, he's not like Mantha in the QMJHL where it's his second season, Athanasiou is I believe in his 4th year in the OHL. Players who take that long to develop in the OHL tend not to translate well into the AHL/NHL. He projects to be a 2nd/3rd line tweener if he makes it, and that would only happen if he decides to play on both sides of the puck, his defensive work ethic has been a huge sticking point of his.

Athanasiou's numbers look good in the OHL, but, he's not like Mantha in the QMJHL where it's his second season, Athanasiou is I believe in his 4th year in the OHL. Players who take that long to develop in the OHL tend not to translate well into the AHL/NHL. He projects to be a 2nd/3rd line tweener if he makes it, and that would only happen if he decides to play on both sides of the puck, his defensive work ethic has been a huge sticking point of his.

It's Mantha's 3rd season. Athansiou has played one more year and is only 1 month older than Mantha....

It's Mantha's 3rd season. Athansiou has played one more year and is only 1 month older than Mantha....

He's also the second oldest in the top ten scorers for the OHL, and in some cases its by 3-4 years. He's a man playing against boys.

The OHL is one of the most heavily scouted leagues, there is a reason why he went in the fourth round, not the first.

Edited by Shaman

He's also the second oldest in the top ten scorers for the OHL, and in some cases its by 3-4 years. He's a man playing against boys.

The OHL is one of the most heavily scouted leagues, there is a reason why he went in the fourth round, not the first.

Well actually it's because he was fairly hidden on a stacked London Knights team and broke out after he was traded.

Also Mantha is a man against boys in his league as well...but doesn't seem to hurt his value...

Mantha also scored 50 last season ... I think his upside is way higher than athanasiou and I'd consider him above any other of our prospects if need be for a key trade

Disagree with mantha being the only high upside prospect though .... Someone mentioned jarnkrok only recently started playing good? Well isn't that what we want? Means he's finally getting it .... If he continues on this pace and gets a pt+ a game till the end of the season then there's a lot to be excited about

Pulkkinen's the same , wasn't sure on him but he's been scoring like crazy .... I do believe in a good situation with good linemates and his shot he can be at the least good for 20 goals

Petr mrazek has elite potential in my opinion .... Displayed dominating performances at the world juniors helped win the Calder cup In His first ahl season .... The kid just oozes confidence and nothing seems to phase him which is what a goalie needs to succeed

Only time will tell what happens to our prospects but I'd say we got way more player with high upside to be excited about

Edited by nyqvististhefuture

Well actually it's because he was fairly hidden on a stacked London Knights team and broke out after he was traded.

Also Mantha is a man against boys in his league as well...but doesn't seem to hurt his value...

He wasn't hidden, he was considered a first rounder for awhile... he dropped because of questions on how well his speed would transition, how well his tools could come together (my favorite line about him is 'he has a lot of tools, but no toolbox'), and his commitment to learning defensive play. By the time the draft rolled around he fell to the 4th round. But don't kid yourself, he wasn't hidden or unknown.

Also look at the top 20 for the QMJHL vs the OHL. The OHL has a much larger spread of age compared to the QMJHL, whereas AA is on the highest end of the spectrum, Mantha is closer to the average age of the other top scorers.

Edited by Shaman

Mantha also scored 50 last season ... I think his upside is way higher than athanasiou and I'd consider him above any other of our prospects if need be for a key trade

Nobody is arguing that.

He wasn't hidden, he was considered a first rounder for awhile... he dropped because of questions on how well his speed would transition, how well his tools could come together (my favorite line about him is 'he has a lot of tools, but no toolbox'), and his commitment to learning defensive play. By the time the draft rolled around he fell to the 4th round. But don't kid yourself, he wasn't hidden or unknown.

Also look at the top 20 for the QMJHL vs the OHL. The OHL has a much larger spread of age compared to the QMJHL, whereas AA is on the highest end of the spectrum, Mantha is closer to the average age of the other top scorers.

Sure is nice to see he's proving people wrong and living up to that high potential. Not sure what he has to do to get respect...

Nobody is arguing that.

Sure is nice to see he's proving people wrong and living up to that high potential. Not sure what he has to do to get respect...

It's also telling he didn't get an invite to the WJC camp for Canada. Again, this kid does not have top end talent. Everything about him shows if he makes it he will be a middle 6 player.

Omg Luongo and Thomas are teammates

For now... it has been a crazy day... tomorrow is gonna be interesting. I feel sorry for anyone that has to work or go to school tomorrow. I know every year since grade 9, I treated trade deadline day as a P.A day, will be the same this year as well haha.

He's not a man playing against boys. He's 19. Here's a website that shows the average age of The Erie Otters as 18.64, which is the youngest team in the league:

http://www.eliteprospects.com/team.php?team=868

Maybe other top scorers are younger, but the he's playing with players right around his age.

What does that have to do with anything? My point is the Wings have been following a recipe of mediocrity the last few seasons which leave them in the worst possible spot a team can be in: Too good for a high pick, too bad to be an actual contender.

So, just to be clear, you're saying you think Buffalo is currently in a better possible spot than Detroit is? And, if you could, you would switch Detroit and Buffalo in the standings to obtain said more preferable spot?

Holy ******* s*** Lou just goes from one pile to a smellier pile, I cannot believe he was dealt back to FL especially everything last season, pathetic team management

And I'm sure hes glad to be back

Edited by brooklynsour

So, just to be clear, you're saying you think Buffalo is currently in a better possible spot than Detroit is? And, if you could, you would switch Detroit and Buffalo in the standings to obtain said more preferable spot?

This season? No, next season? I'd rather see the Wings dead last than 7-10th place.

I think, at most, the Wings may get a depth d-man by the deadline. The combination of asking prices, reluctance to give up prospects and the Wings likely more than a player away from contention all signal no major move will be made.

At some point, Holland is going to have to move some of the abundance of prospects if the Red Wings are going to complete seriously with the Euro-Twins. There's almost too much youth lingering now. I believe (hope) the Red Wings will be more active this summer instead.

You would rather see them last then making the playoffs?

I'm sorry but that makes no sense.

What makes no sense? Having a shot at McDavid makes more sense than eeking into the playoffs and being eliminated in the first round.