• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

nyqvististhefuture

Trade deadline fast approaching - who should we target?

Rate this topic

Yeah, a lot of them road hot goalies. As for Edmonton it's more their drafting philosophy of taking the best player available and not the best player that fits their needs that has screwed them up so bad.

I agree, I was readying an interesting article awhile back that said something like Franchise players don't get picked outside the top four picks. The chances of finding one outside the top two picks are slim at best.on a good success rate. Everything after that is more luck based. Same article also mentioned how Detroit has been the best franchise of the last decade. Granted the article was a few years old.

Andersson isn't an nhl player. Proved it tonight. We can find bottom liners that can PK like him and still pitch in. Andersson is slow as s*** and doesn't do much out there even strength. Even with Franzen and Nyquist he looked bad.

I can't believe they didn't call up Jarnkrok to play, Babs must have some weird Cleary like love for Andersson to play him so much. The guy looked good for 2 months playing with Nyquist and Brunner because their speed made up for his anchors on his feet. In the offensive zone, he's a dud. Should be in the minors, but the injuries are just... ridiculous.

Andersson isn't an nhl player. Proved it tonight. We can find bottom liners that can PK like him and still pitch in. Andersson is slow as s*** and doesn't do much out there even strength. Even with Franzen and Nyquist he looked bad.

He proved it tonight?? Andersson was setup for failure by babs. He's not a 1st line center, he just isn't. But to say he doesn't belong in the nhl is stupid. He's a good pker, and fits well on a checking line. Not everyone can be a superstar.

Let me lay it all out in one post so the people who keep trying to argue me can actually understand:

In the NHL today a majority of teams make the playoffs. It is not a huge accomplishment in and of itself to keep making the playoffs. This team will continue to be mediocre if it's goal is only to make the playoffs every year without doing what it takes to be a real contender. The decision needs to be made quickly or it will be made for the Wings, as Datsyuk, and Franzen are both over 35 and Zetterberg's back seems to be getting worse every season.

In order to be a real contender one of two things need to be done:

#1 If they choose to try to do it before the window closes for Z, D and Mule they must trade some assets to solidify the defense (a #2 or #3 RHD PPQB) and a top 6 winger.

Or

#2 Decide to take a long view and try to develop a team that is built to contend for multiple years by developing youth, getting rid of some of the vets, and stocking up on draft picks/prospects.

Currently Ken Holland is the king of half measures. In the offseason instead of trying to address the need for a top 6 winger of a top 3 Dman he goes after an oft-injured Weiss, resigns Cleary and doesn't clear any of the bottom 6 logjam. Thus reducing both the Wings chances of contending for a cup, and limiting the spots younger players can have to start developing in the NHL.

Now if he makes a "hockey trade" for a bottom 6 defender (I would assume this would be the only type of move he'd make, as he has been clear hockey trade means roster player for roster player, no prospects no picks on the table), it may increase the Wings' chances of retaining the #8 spot, but realistically does anyone believe a "hockey trade" makes this team a contender? And if the Wings' aren't a contender why not actually rebuild? Young players since the new CBA are pretty much indentured slaves of the team that drafts them, and they also make great pieces for trades for more established talent.

So TL:DR goes like this:

The Wings need to commit to an actual strategy, win now, or build for the future.

Edited by Shaman

The sooner we realize Holland isn't going to make a trade the more painless it will be. Holland won't overpay for someone at the deadline and instead wait till July 1st to sign someone for free. Then after realizing no one will sign here, he will resign Bertuzzi and Quincey. Lol

The sooner we realize Holland isn't going to make a trade the more painless it will be. Holland won't overpay for someone at the deadline and instead wait till July 1st to sign someone for free. Then after realizing no one will sign here, he will resign Bertuzzi and Quincey. Lol

Gosh that was a tough pill to swallow reading that... sad part is it has a 95% chance of being true.

Actually over half the teams make the playoffs, there are 16 spots for 30 teams. And you're right that you don't need a top pick to win, but, the team is suffering from years of not having much talent in the farm system. How about I ask the Pens, or the Blackhawks how they like having some early picks or how about Colorado?

Try asking Edmonton, NY Islanders, Columbus, Atlanta, Florida....

Try asking Edmonton, NY Islanders, Columbus, Atlanta, Florida....

Columbus has 1 point more than us I believe, Winnipeg is currently in 9th place and could easily end up in the dance.The Islanders were a playoff team last season and were only one point behind Detroit. Finally Florida clinched the Southeast not two seasons ago as top seed.

Edited by Shaman

Welp I hate being negative but if Helm is going to be out for any length of time we should find someone to unload Alfie on as rental. He could always resign next season if he really likes it in Detroit but I want the guy to have a chance to win a cup. Get a pick, prospect idc. We aren't going anywhere with Pav, Z, Helm, Weiss all hurt. I had faith until Helm went down. Let Alfie get a chance to win a cup and bring Pulk up to see what he's got for the rest of the year. Play the kids and build towards next year because we don't have the ammo to make a big trade with so many guys hurt.

Holland should shut it down for the season if Helm is out over 2 weeks. Sell Quincey at the deadline and bring up a kid to learn the ropes a bit. We end up with a better draft pick as we slip and in the end we start next year the great team we are now - without Q, Bert, Cleary, Sammy of course.

If you're okay with years of what we are seeing this season fine. As I said there are two options, you are debating against one of them.

Holland either needs to make at least 2 trades to address the two biggest holes on this team (top 6 winger and #2-#3 RH D-man) or he has to go into full rebuild. Either way, this 'rebuild on the fly' is not a tenable solution as I keep saying.

Your second option I'll agree with, Holland has to upgrade this team not just patch up its holes.

Your second option I'll agree with, Holland has to upgrade this team not just patch up its holes.

This was the point I was making the whole time, being sick of his half measures. I am ambivalent on which strategy to take. On one hand I hate the idea of suffering through a season or two of them sucking, but on the other hand, I love the idea of young big name talent to build around, a new Yzerman to watch like my dad had.

Welp I hate being negative but if Helm is going to be out for any length of time we should find someone to unload Alfie on as rental. He could always resign next season if he really likes it in Detroit but I want the guy to have a chance to win a cup. Get a pick, prospect idc. We aren't going anywhere with Pav, Z, Helm, Weiss all hurt. I had faith until Helm went down. Let Alfie get a chance to win a cup and bring Pulk up to see what he's got for the rest of the year. Play the kids and build towards next year because we don't have the ammo to make a big trade with so many guys hurt.

They need a center who can do something offensively, I'd rather see Jarnkrok.

This was the point I was making the whole time, being sick of his half measures. I am ambivalent on which strategy to take. On one hand I hate the idea of suffering through a season or two of them sucking, but on the other hand, I love the idea of young big name talent to build around, a new Yzerman to watch like my dad had.

Half measures blow, and while I don't agree with your argument I get where you're coming from. But the Wings are on the periphery of being really good and blowing up the team now wouldn't make any sense.

They need a center who can do something offensively, I'd rather see Jarnkrok.

Either way. I'd rather bring a kid up and see what they have. Can't see us making the playoffs with all these injuries. Build for the future. Let the kids play and grow. Send Quincey and Kindl to some poor saps for picks and try to get Alfie to a cup caliber team. Bring up one of the young kids to play D and Jarnkrok or whoever to fill the other role Alfie leaves.

Go ahead and let Pav have surgery so he is 100% for next year along with Z and Weiss.

Nyquist - Sheahan - Franzen

Tatar - Jarnkrok - Jurco

Abby - Andersson - Pulk

Miller - Glendening - Eaves

Kronwall - Big E

Dekeyser - Smith

Lashoff - Oullet

Looks ugly, but I'd rather watch the kids than Cleary, Sammy or Bertuzzi.

A guy like Luke Schenn would help out greatly and I think his asking price won't be as high as Ehrhoff's

Other than that looking at the big picture standing pat wouldn't be too bad yeah I could mean missing the playoffs but it also means a better draft pick and a chance to accelerate the rebuild in the McDavid year.

Either way. I'd rather bring a kid up and see what they have. Can't see us making the playoffs with all these injuries. Build for the future. Let the kids play and grow. Send Quincey and Kindl to some poor saps for picks and try to get Alfie to a cup caliber team. Bring up one of the young kids to play D and Jarnkrok or whoever to fill the other role Alfie leaves.

Go ahead and let Pav have surgery so he is 100% for next year along with Z and Weiss.

Nyquist - Sheahan - Franzen

Tatar - Jarnkrok - Jurco

Abby - Andersson - Pulk

Miller - Glendening - Eaves

Kronwall - Big E

Dekeyser - Smith

Lashoff - Oullet

Looks ugly, but I'd rather watch the kids than Cleary, Sammy or Bertuzzi.

2 of those 3 guys are already sitting. I also don't know what's wrong with Datsyuk's knee, and unless you're on the Wings' medical staff or know someone who is, I doubt you do either, so know the hell knows if it's an injury that needs surgery.

I think that if they call up Jarnkrok and/or make a move to bring in someone, they'll be able to hold onto the playoff spot, which I think is the mandate from ownership. Hell, even shifting Mule over to center could be enough if Datyuk is going to be back in a few games.

2 of those 3 guys are already sitting. I also don't know what's wrong with Datsyuk's knee, and unless you're on the Wings' medical staff or know someone who is, I doubt you do either, so know the hell knows if it's an injury that needs surgery.

I think that if they call up Jarnkrok and/or make a move to bring in someone, they'll be able to hold onto the playoff spot, which I think is the mandate from ownership. Hell, even shifting Mule over to center could be enough if Datyuk is going to be back in a few games.

I know they are sitting, but it doesn't mean Babcock won't put them in instead of bringing some kids up from GR.

I don't know what's wrong with Pav's knee but I would assume he needs some sort of surgery or at least a good deal of rest. I feel like he probably needs some sort of surgery but is trying to tough it out for the team in hopes of at least playing a few games. Can you imagine how much easier, yet tough to swallow, Hollands job would be right now if both Pav and Z were out the rest of the season? I don't think we would be talking about a trade at all, if we did it would be more selling than buying, imo.

I know they are sitting, but it doesn't mean Babcock won't put them in instead of bringing some kids up from GR.

I don't know what's wrong with Pav's knee but I would assume he needs some sort of surgery or at least a good deal of rest. I feel like he probably needs some sort of surgery but is trying to tough it out for the team in hopes of at least playing a few games. Can you imagine how much easier, yet tough to swallow, Hollands job would be right now if both Pav and Z were out the rest of the season? I don't think we would be talking about a trade at all, if we did it would be more selling than buying, imo.

With our injuries... what exactly are we selling that we aren't all looking to dump/willing to part with anyway?

Kindl, Quincey, Eaves, Andersson, Tootoo?

(sammy... clears... yeah, right!?)

Anyway, like Dickie said:

You can't rule out Dats, Helm, Weiss returning before the playoffs... Z at the playoffs.

Alfie is going nowhere unless he wants to be traded. Bert isn't ideal, but he's certainly still serviceable.

You take those any/some/all aforementioned expendables, add a prospect and/or picks that we seem to be flush with, and we first upgrade our D.

Say, Ehrhoff and Tom Gilbert.

Now play with those lines.

EDIT: I know that a lot of this post drags this thread off-topic, but I would like to remind everyone that Ehrhoff and Gilbert would be great targets for Kenny Holland and the DRW.

Edited by e_prime

I'd like to see pulkkinen called up with the injuries to datsyuk zetterberg helm weiss it be nice to have someone with a lethal shot to try and help us get Into the post season .... If anything just for 2-3 games see how he does , if the nhl is too much for him now we send him down

I was thinking Franzen played center before right?

Was thinking lines of

Nyquist Franzen jurco

Tatar sheahan pulkkinen

Gives us 2 shooters In the top 2 in mule and pulkkinen .... Or something I can see more happening maybe since we're missing a lot of centers but might be risky cause he's doing good and we don't wanna f*ck it up ..... Call up jarnkrok instead? He plays good 2 way hockey which I'm sure Babcock would love more

Top swedish line of nyquist jarnkrok Franzen ?

Again this would only be short term so try not to blast me too much guys lol

Edited by nyqvististhefuture

Heartbroken, as much as I hate it I have to agree and say Kenny should start preparing for next season, dump some cap and ship out rentals for some picks or maybe a veteran dman, get our young bloods some serious ice time and exp, so going into next year we'll know where we stand with our prospects

Get z and Pablo back to 100% and ready to beast next year!!

Edited by brooklynsour