Photo
* * * * - 5 votes

Trade deadline fast approaching - who should we target?

• Please log in to reply
1869 replies to this topic

#341 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,086 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 02:15 PM

Report: Islanders projected to get a lot for Vanek [ProHockeyTalk]

Report: 'More than a dozen' teams have contacted Buffalo about Moulson [ProHockeyTalk]

Don't Toews me, bro!

#342 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,625 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 02:28 PM

Heck, the way things are going, I really don't want to get rid of Sheahan, Nyquist, Tatar or Jurco.  I am not saying these guys are the end all be all of our woes, but I really look forward to having these guys all play together for years and years.  We have to start a core somewhere...BUT, I also am not saying that we do not need a legit scorer and a #1/2 defenseman...  If these is to be a trade, I would like to target Bogosian and either Ladd or Booth.  I think that Holland will be able to address the #1 winger spot over the summer...

I say we trade Cleary to Philly.  I know he has a NTC, but he already agreed to a contract there once this season, and Philly would be paying him about half of what they agreed to pay him before the season.  Philly could trade us a 7th or conditional pick.  Franzen I believe needs to be put on LTIR until he is healed completely.  Thus opening up some needed cap space to acquire someone.

Andersson is very tradable, he probably wouldn't bring us much in return, with the emergence of Sheahan, he becomes expendable.  Unfortunately it would cost us a ton for Bogo/Ladd or Booth, so I am just going with the team we have.  I don't see Holland trading Smith and unfortunately I don't anyone would give us anything of value for Quincey.  We sure don't have enough assets to acquire Vanek via trade.  I believe the same about Bogo.  We just have a log jam of players that are (almost) ready to step up this (off) season and nobody wants our old timers...

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#343 jimmyemeryhunter

jimmyemeryhunter

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 02:31 PM

Goals or points?

Points.
Ha.
Good call I'm gonna edit that now.
Thanks for pointing it out.

#344 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,775 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 02:34 PM

Heck, the way things are going, I really don't want to get rid of Sheahan, Nyquist, Tatar or Jurco.  I am not saying these guys are the end all be all of our woes, but I really look forward to having these guys all play together for years and years.  We have to start a core somewhere...BUT, I also am not saying that we do not need a legit scorer and a #1/2 defenseman...  If these is to be a trade, I would like to target Bogosian and either Ladd or Booth.  I think that Holland will be able to address the #1 winger spot over the summer...

I say we trade Cleary to Philly.  I know he has a NTC, but he already agreed to a contract there once this season, and Philly would be paying him about half of what they agreed to pay him before the season.  Philly could trade us a 7th or conditional pick.  Franzen I believe needs to be put on LTIR until he is healed completely.  Thus opening up some needed cap space to acquire someone.

Andersson is very tradable, he probably wouldn't bring us much in return, with the emergence of Sheahan, he becomes expendable.  Unfortunately it would cost us a ton for Bogo/Ladd or Booth, so I am just going with the team we have.  I don't see Holland trading Smith and unfortunately I don't anyone would give us anything of value for Quincey.  We sure don't have enough assets to acquire Vanek via trade.  I believe the same about Bogo.  We just have a log jam of players that are (almost) ready to step up this (off) season and nobody wants our old timers...

It doesn't work that way with LTIR unless you know 100% the player has an injury where you know he's out long long term. ex. Savard, Pronger.  Franzen is not that case.

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#345 cnot19

cnot19

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 02:42 PM

I would not want Moulson for what I am sure his price will be. I watch alot of Islanders games theyre my second team, however there are alot of holes in his game. Id much prefer a gritty guy for the playoffs than Moulson, sure he has some grit in front but he is invisible when it comes to hitting.

Get me a real fourth line Kenny!

#346 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,913 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 02:49 PM

I'd rather have a guy like Steve Ott although priority #1 needs to be the defense.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#347 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,625 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 02:56 PM

If it is deemed that Franzen would need an extended time off to become healthy enough to play symptom free, then why wouldn't he qualify for LTIR?  I am not saying just throw him on it today, but if today a Doctor said he recommended 3-5 months off, why wouldn't that be enough cause to qualify for LTIR?

www.thinkdunes.com

#348 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,086 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 03:08 PM

If it is deemed that Franzen would need an extended time off to become healthy enough to play symptom free, then why wouldn't he qualify for LTIR?  I am not saying just throw him on it today, but if today a Doctor said he recommended 3-5 months off, why wouldn't that be enough cause to qualify for LTIR?

It's not that he wouldn't qualify, it's that you generally don't look to bring in a key player with the space freed up by an LTIR assignment.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#349 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,775 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 03:14 PM

What Dabura said. My point wasn't overly clear.  I was referring to the thought of replacing his contract.

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#350 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,625 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 03:25 PM

AH!! I get what you were saying now!

www.thinkdunes.com

#351 matthewdanna

matthewdanna

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 03:38 PM

I say we delay the retirement of #5 and get Swede to play a half season and the playoffs... if only hockey players were like Brett Farve

#352 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,943 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 03:50 PM

Ya I don't see the obsession with Callahan. The guy just had a two goal night to reach the coveted 10 goal mark

#353 BadgerBob

BadgerBob

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 04:10 PM

I say we delay the retirement of #5 and get Swede to play a half season and the playoffs... if only hockey players were like Brett Farve

I know what you mean, I wish he'd come back too. Also I'm a Packer fan, so what you're saying is you want Lidstrom to go play a season in Dallas then sign with the Blackhawks after? :confused:

#354 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,943 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 04:15 PM

This team needs a Chris Neil type. Then I would absolutely love our forward group

#355 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,086 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 05:00 PM

I love me some Ryan Callahan, but even I'll tell you 49/7 is loo-dic-rous. If I were Glen Sather, I'd tell him to get the hell of my team immediately, and I'd probably call him a no-good pinko commie, while smoking a 60-million-dollar cigar. Because I'm Glen Sather.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#356 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,086 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 05:31 PM

How about Visnovsky?

Don't Toews me, bro!

#357 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,086 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 05:36 PM

Kronwall  DeKeyser

Visnovsky  Ericsson

Smith  Lashoff

I could dig that.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#358 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,943 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 05:44 PM

I still want Edler on this team I think he can be had w/o giving up Tatar or Nyquist

#359 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,705 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 06:27 PM

Edler

for

1st + Pulkkinen/Andersson + Kindl + Sammy (cap dump)

Kronwall - Ericsson

Edler - Dekeyser

Smith - Lashoff

Quincey

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#360 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,625 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 07:54 PM

I could get on board with Alex Edler or Visnovsky.

Vancouver wouldn't take Sammy back though, I wouldn't think.  I know he had success there with the twins one year, but he is older and slower now...I wouldn't be opposed to offering him to them though!

I also would love Booth or Burrows on this team...

to VANTemmu Pulkkinen, Joakim Andersson, Landon Ferraro, Jakub Kindl, 2014 1st. (Sammy if they'd take him)

to DETAlexander Edler, David Booth (or Burrows,) 2014 2nd.

also:

to NYI:  Kyle Quincey, Adam Amqvist

to DET: Lubomir Visnovsky

Post deadline roster:

Nyquist - Datsyuk - Zetterberg

Booth (or Burrows) - Helm - Alfredsson

Jurco - Sheahan - Tatar

MIller - Glendening - Abdelkader

Eaves

Edler - Kronwall

Visnovsky - Ericsson

Dekeyser - Smith

Lashoff

:lol: Then I wake up.  This scenario requires too much movement, it also includes waiving Cleary and Bertuzzi along with putting Franzen on LTIR.  Something like this may work in the off season, but this season it's too much of a fantasy trade...oh well.

www.thinkdunes.com