Photo
* * * * - 5 votes

Trade deadline fast approaching - who should we target?

• Please log in to reply
1869 replies to this topic

#541 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,626 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 01:16 PM

I realize it sounded like I just compared him to Feds and Nash.... shame on me if I made it sound that way.  I was just stating the situation was the same and compared it.  If Boston wants him and if Anaheim wants him, it should cost Boston more because of the division aspect...

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#542 wingedominance13

wingedominance13

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 01:58 PM

One guy that I believe could be available and gotten for mid tier prospects and picks is steve ott. I think Ott would be a great fit on this team, especially if Z is out for a long period of time. I don't think we would have to leverage the farm to get him either. I think it would cost us something like andersson, pulkinenen (terrible spelling), almquist and middle of the road picks.

#543 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,626 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 02:08 PM

Honestly, with Ott being a pending UFA, it may not cost a player at all, but I can see maybe Andersson at most when it comes to your suggestions.  Pukkinen is way to good compared to Ott when it comes to his potential and Almqvist is also a top prospect and would garner a better return that just Ott.

That being said, I would love Ott on this team for the playoff run and even re-signing him...

www.thinkdunes.com

#544 wings4thecup06

wings4thecup06

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 905 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 02:15 PM

Honestly, with Ott being a pending UFA, it may not cost a player at all, but I can see maybe Andersson at most when it comes to your suggestions.  Pukkinen is way to good compared to Ott when it comes to his potential and Almqvist is also a top prospect and would garner a better return that just Ott.

That being said, I would love Ott on this team for the playoff run and even re-signing him...

I'd be happy with that (Ott for Andersson that is). I don't really see where he (Andersson) fits in this team going forward, or maybe that's my skewed/biased look at the situation. just haven't been as impressed as I was last year by him, and I feel it's time to give some of the others from the plethora of young guys/3rd/4th line guys we have in the organisation

Edited by wings4thecup06, 17 February 2014 - 02:15 PM.

temp 1

#545 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,626 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 02:48 PM

Andersson does seem to be an odd man out, but he does kill penalties and to Babcock, that is priceless.  According to my buddy (the one who skates with a Wings trainer) that is why Tootoo doesn't get played and got waived.  He doesn't bring but a one dimensional element to the team.  Andersson can pop in the occasional goal, but is pretty reliable defensively.  That being said, I think Sheahan has outshined him in the small amount of time he has been here.  With Weiss coming back and the emergence of Sheahan, Andersson has become expendable, but will Babs hang on to him?

www.thinkdunes.com

#546 wings4thecup06

wings4thecup06

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 905 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 02:56 PM

Andersson does seem to be an odd man out, but he does kill penalties and to Babcock, that is priceless.  According to my buddy (the one who skates with a Wings trainer) that is why Tootoo doesn't get played and got waived.  He doesn't bring but a one dimensional element to the team.  Andersson can pop in the occasional goal, but is pretty reliable defensively.  That being said, I think Sheahan has outshined him in the small amount of time he has been here.  With Weiss coming back and the emergence of Sheahan, Andersson has become expendable, but will Babs hang on to him?

That's the thing. He's great on the PK yea, but how many guys have we got that can kill penalties? Miller, Helm, Glendening, Cleary (although you can strike up the one dimensional argument here, but thats for another time and place), Emmerton, Z, Datsyuk, hell I reckon Sheahan would be a good PK guy if he was given a shot. 

This just re-enforces the point. While he's valuable in that he plays well defensively, I agree, Sheahan has far surpassed him this year.  I'd like to think they would package him in a trade to upgrade us elsewhere, but who knows what the brain trust is thinking. One can only dream…..

temp 1

#547 Dave

Dave

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,179 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 03:11 PM

Detroit is middle of the pack on nearly every stat. The exception is the PK which is ranked 10th. The worst stats are holding leads. Detroit is in the bottom 3-5 teams for holding leads. That seems to indicate either goal tending/defense needs to improve. The goal tending part is all on Jimmy, hopefully he can rise to the occasion. There's really no reason to package up people for Steve Ott. It doesn't make any sense.

#548 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 03:17 PM

One guy that I believe could be available and gotten for mid tier prospects and picks is steve ott. I think Ott would be a great fit on this team, especially if Z is out for a long period of time. I don't think we would have to leverage the farm to get him either. I think it would cost us something like andersson, pulkinenen (terrible spelling), almquist and middle of the road picks.

WAY too much to give up for Ott. At most I'd go Andy plus one pick or prospect (and not a top one either). Also, how do we shoehorn in another $2M+ in cap?

#549 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,626 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 03:39 PM

This is assuming that Z may be out for the season.  No way does Ott replace Z, but he would make for a good fit in the center position.  Hopefully Z is cleared to play soon, but if he cannot contribute or worse yet, makes his injury worse, then please, PLEASE, take a seat Z and get healthy...

Ott shouldn't really cost more than a draft pick, but considering we don't have many roster spots open, I think Andersson would be more than enough to acquire a pending UFA...Drew Miller may be attractive to them to maybe lure Ryan Miller back as well...

As a matter of fact, when all players are healthy next season, we would need to make room for Ott if we kept him, so trading one of Andersson or Drew Miller makes sense.  Glendening will be re-signed, but since he has exemptions he can start the season in GR with no chance of losing him...I also think Holland will let Alfie do what he wants.  Come back or retire, Holland will do either.

Package Kindl and Smith for a better top 4 d-man who may be a pending UFA or need a change of scenery then get a different backup goalie (although I strongly believe Jimmy is Osgood with a lessor team in front of him.) I know Holland isn't trading Howard, even though trying to sign Miller in the off season is the way to go.  Keep Drew Miller, trade Andersson to BUF for Ott, trade Howard (I know, I know, NTC and Holland won't do it, but this is my suggestion) and sign Ryan Miller in the off-season along with a better back up...

Edited by LeftWinger, 17 February 2014 - 03:40 PM.

www.thinkdunes.com

#550 stillwater

stillwater

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 03:40 PM

A guy that can score 50 goals, fight, play top-4 defense in a pinch and makes the league minimum.

#551 Dominator2005

Dominator2005

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,223 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 03:45 PM

This is assuming that Z may be out for the season.  No way does Ott replace Z, but he would make for a good fit in the center position.  Hopefully Z is cleared to play soon, but if he cannot contribute or worse yet, makes his injury worse, then please, PLEASE, take a seat Z and get healthy...

Ott shouldn't really cost more than a draft pick, but considering we don't have many roster spots open, I think Andersson would be more than enough to acquire a pending UFA...Drew Miller may be attractive to them to maybe lure Ryan Miller back as well...

As a matter of fact, when all players are healthy next season, we would need to make room for Ott if we kept him, so trading one of Andersson or Drew Miller makes sense.  Glendening will be re-signed, but since he has exemptions he can start the season in GR with no chance of losing him...I also think Holland will let Alfie do what he wants.  Come back or retire, Holland will do either.

Package Kindl and Smith for a better top 4 d-man who may be a pending UFA or need a change of scenery then get a different backup goalie (although I strongly believe Jimmy is Osgood with a lessor team in front of him.) I know Holland isn't trading Howard, even though trying to sign Miller in the off season is the way to go.  Keep Drew Miller, trade Andersson to BUF for Ott, trade Howard (I know, I know, NTC and Holland won't do it, but this is my suggestion) and sign Ryan Miller in the off-season along with a better back up...

Keep Smith and play him with better player, Q is making Smith really bad. While he was playing with Kronwall he was pretty solid.
"Some guys dream about scoring goals, or making big saves... I swear to God I dream about kicking ass in a hockey fight - no other way to say it than I love to do it, its who I am"... Brian McGrattan

#552 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,467 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 05:07 PM

I realize it sounded like I just compared him to Feds and Nash.... shame on me if I made it sound that way.  I was just stating the situation was the same and compared it.  If Boston wants him and if Anaheim wants him, it should cost Boston more because of the division aspect...

So if 2 teams want him and both are offering a similar package, trade him out of the division.  If Anaheim will only give up a 6th and Boston will give up a 4th, take the 4th.  Like I said, Quincey is not a guy you worry about coming back to haunt you with his new team.

WAY too much to give up for Ott. At most I'd go Andy plus one pick or prospect (and not a top one either). Also, how do we shoehorn in another $2M+ in cap?

Ott for Andersson, a 4th, and Samuelsson, if I was able to talk to Ott and he said he was willing to sign a reasonable extension.  Otherwise I wouldn't give up more than a 3rd if they took back Samuelsson to make the salary work.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#553 wings4thecup06

wings4thecup06

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 905 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 06:44 PM

Personally I wouldn't trade Miller. Damn good PKer, feisty at times, kind of grinder type player that takes it on the chin and doesn't complain and brings it night in night out. May not be worth much offensively, but still, I wouldn't ship him out. 

I agree with trading Kindl, but not Smith. I think Lashoff has somewhat surpassed Kindl in most areas. Smith on the other hand, isn't going anywhere I don't think. While first round picks aren't sacred, he has a ton of potential, and we've seen flashes of greatness at times this year, and really all he has to do is iron out the kinks.

I may be wrong on both counts, but just my 2 cents.  

temp 1

#554 pucktividi

pucktividi

the usual suspect

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 07:07 PM

Ott for Andersson, a 4th, and Samuelsson, if I was able to talk to Ott and he said he was willing to sign a reasonable extension.  Otherwise I wouldn't give up more than a 3rd if they took back Samuelsson to make the salary work.

Leino-Andy-Sammy.That Sabres line would be something.

:lol:

#555 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 08:04 PM

Dom, no where did I say anything about playing 2-3 rookies on D next year. I didn't even hint at such a thing. As of today, we have 7 Dman for next season, 1 of which is a rookie. As of today the 7 Dmen are: Kronwall, E, Dekeyser, Kindl, Smith, lashoff, and Almqvist. yes we should upgrade from Kindl if we can. I don't think anyone disagrees with that idea. The how is the question. Kindl alone isn't going to upgrade for himself, so others have to be added. To get a top 4 Dman will take Kindl plus a guy like Nyquist (as an example) plus something else, prospect or high pick. Yes that would make our 15th ranked D better. But it would also make our 19th ranked O worse. This is where we have to be carefull. This is why I want to sign Vanek if possible. His 35+ goals more than replaces the goals scored if we have to move a guy like Nyquist to upgrade the D.

#556 PumpkinEscobar

PumpkinEscobar

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 464 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 09:44 PM

I'll be shocked if Almqvist is on the team next year

#557 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,556 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 01:12 AM

Buyout Zetterberg

Edit: wrong thread

Edited by number9, 18 February 2014 - 01:12 AM.

#558 Andy Pred 48

Andy Pred 48

Coming soon,"the slovak line" Marek and 2 Toms!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,865 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 07:31 AM

i said before the olympics started that we should look at the other Austrian on the Isle's roster. Well after the Austria team were knocked out by the minnows from Slovenia today, Vanek's performance was shall we say, unnoticeable. In fact he has had a mare of a tournament and finished the comp with just a single assist -4 in 4 games. Grabner lead his team in scoring 5+1 in 4 games with a -2. As far as im concerned if we are to trade id go for the younger faster Grabner whose cap hit is half of Vaneks, and although he has 2 years left on his contract may well be the cheaper option in any trade. This Olympics hasn't done anything for Vaneks stock.

"What are you guys doing?" Reggie Dunlop
"Putting on the foil coach" Jeff Hanson
"Yeah, every game, you want some coach?" Steve Hanson
"Er, no. No thanks guys." Reggie Dunlop
"Make sure they don't leave the bench!" Reggie Dunlop.

#559 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 09:02 AM

haha Omark got waived from the sabres and refuses to play in the AHL.. they'll terminate his contract.

is there a lower low (NHL wise) than getting waived from a team as bad as buffalo? :P

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#560 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,467 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 09:06 AM

haha Omark got waived from the sabres and refuses to play in the AHL.. they'll terminate his contract.

is there a lower low (NHL wise) than getting waived from a team as bad as buffalo? :P

Being drafted in the first round by Columbus?  That seems to be the kiss of death to any aspirations of being a star player.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!