Photo
* * * * - 5 votes

Trade deadline fast approaching - who should we target?

• Please log in to reply
1869 replies to this topic

#41 brett

brett

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,013 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 09:19 PM

i am willing to now trade nyquist quincey/kindl and a 1st for a top dman 

Edited by brett, 28 January 2014 - 09:20 PM.

#42 gcom007

gcom007

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,142 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 09:31 PM

As much as I tend to think that at some point Holland will crack and really get his hands dirty making moves in the cap era, perhaps for better or for worse, I don't really believe it will happen anytime soon. I don't think the prices will be right and I don't think we have the assets to move in order to bring in anyone meaningful. We've got quality role players that we literally haven't been able to give away this year. What makes anyone think they're suddenly going to have trade value? We can't/won't move any of the better players we have. I just don't see much happening this year, nor do I see us having a big off-season.

I really think our best case scenario as far as "deadline moves" as Holland defines them is getting Weiss back and him actually getting things going and if Franzen isn't out for the year. That's a rough best-case...
-Elliot...does not panic.

#43 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 09:41 PM

i am willing to now trade nyquist quincey/kindl and a 1st for a top dman 

That probably won't do it.  If I'm a GM trading a top D, I want Sproul or Ouellet too.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#44 fat guy in a maltby jersey

fat guy in a maltby jersey

3rd Line Checker

• Restricted
  • PipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 10:03 PM

SELL

SELL

SELL

#45 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,094 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 10:07 PM

As much as I tend to think that at some point Holland will crack and really get his hands dirty making moves in the cap era, perhaps for better or for worse, I don't really believe it will happen anytime soon. I don't think the prices will be right and I don't think we have the assets to move in order to bring in anyone meaningful. We've got quality role players that we literally haven't been able to give away this year. What makes anyone think they're suddenly going to have trade value? We can't/won't move any of the better players we have. I just don't see much happening this year, nor do I see us having a big off-season.

I really think our best case scenario as far as "deadline moves" as Holland defines them is getting Weiss back and him actually getting things going and if Franzen isn't out for the year. That's a rough best-case...

The one thing we have going for us, asset-wise, is our prospect pool. We have one of the better collections in the league. Jurco, Jarnkrok, Pulkkinen, Mantha, Ouellet, Sproul - it's good stuff. Of course, we also kind of need as many good kids in the pipeline as we can get. Tough situation.

That probably won't do it.  If I'm a GM trading a top D, I want Sproul or Ouellet too.

Agreed. If we're going to have a chance at a really big name, we're probably going to have to part with Sproul or Ouellet, even if it's a forward we're bringing in.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#46 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 10:11 PM

Considering they have more prospects than spots to play them, they should be looking to trade one or two of them.  There isn't a single prospect or young player I wouldn't trade in the right deal.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#47 Andy Pred 48

Andy Pred 48

Coming soon,"the slovak line" Marek and 2 Toms!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,865 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 10:11 PM

no playoffs = no trades. the next 5 games before the Olympic break will define our season and need to trade.

"What are you guys doing?" Reggie Dunlop
"Putting on the foil coach" Jeff Hanson
"Yeah, every game, you want some coach?" Steve Hanson
"Er, no. No thanks guys." Reggie Dunlop
"Make sure they don't leave the bench!" Reggie Dunlop.

#48 nyqvististhefuture

nyqvististhefuture

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,313 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 10:16 PM

I personally don't think our chances of winning the cup are great so I wouldn't even consider giving up any of our top 10 prospects (from what I see on redwingscentral)and I wouldn't touch mattias janmark either .....there's just so much upside there to even risk losing it

I'd stay away from the players that would cost us a lot vanek/moulson etc ... And go for grinder type veteran forward(ott) and/or veteran d man

For now I'd call up marchenko he's played really well with the griffins , played with men in the khl and Babcock praised him in his 1 game here ... I know he just has 1 nhl game but I think he could be really good paired with dekeyser and then we see what happens at the deadline

Edited by nyqvististhefuture, 28 January 2014 - 10:17 PM.

#49 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,094 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 10:32 PM

I still think Ott might be interesting. He'd probably have to play wing, but he can play all three forward positions, so that wouldn't really be an issue.

You'd like to see us do better than Steve Ott. But I just don't see it. Maybe an Ales Hemsky (can't have too much scoring depth), but it's doubtful.

Actually, re: Hemsky/EDM - Why wouldn't "Mac-T" be interested in Kindl and Quincey? Each is a defenseman with two arms and two legs. That'd be a major upgrade for the Oil, no?

Then again, parting with either Kindl or Quincey would put our already iffy D corps back an NHL defenseman, unless we'd be getting a defenseman in return.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#50 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 11:23 PM

I'd trade Kindl to the Jets for Stuart and offer a package of Almqvist, Pulkkinen and Andersson for Bogosian.

I'd offer the Flyers McKee, Cleary and Ferraro for Brayden Schenn.   McKee fits their mould, they wanted Cleary in the offseason so they can have him and Ferraro could fit there as well as a 4th line C.

After that, I'd simply make the playoffs and possibly win the Cup, and the rest they say, is history.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#51 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 11:42 PM

I'd trade Kindl to the Jets for Stuart and offer a package of Almqvist, Pulkkinen and Andersson for Bogosian.

I'd offer the Flyers McKee, Cleary and Ferraro for Brayden Schenn.   McKee fits their mould, they wanted Cleary in the offseason so they can have him and Ferraro could fit there as well as a 4th line C.

After that, I'd simply make the playoffs and possibly win the Cup, and the rest they say, is history.

So in other words you want good players for garbage.  Cool.

#52 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 11:50 PM

Sell. We are not a SC contending team. No ifs ands or buts about it.

#53 WingsAlways

WingsAlways

Grind Line 2.0

• PipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 11:50 PM

Hell no. Vanek is 30 year old winger on a fat contract.. There is no way I'd make that trade even if they could make it work cap wise. In another year or two Nyquist is going to be as good, maybe better because he's already more defensively responsible than Vanek.

^ This.

No way would I give up Nyquist for Vanek, as much as I would love seeing him in the Winged Wheel. 

We need a top tier d-man more than anything, our kids are already starting to click and they only have room to grow.

"Wow Chicago, you've won four Stanley Cups? Me too! - Kris Draper"

#54 nawein

nawein

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 11:51 PM

Apparently we're going after Vanek which I would be okay with as long as we don't lose Tatar in the deal AND he agrees to resign. Honestly though if we're healthy we don't need a forward. I would trade Backman/Marchenko, Pulkkinen and our 1st for a #1/2 dman though. Probably have to sweeten the pot with a roster player though, Kindl or Q. Who knows if that would get us one, but that's where I'd start.

#55 BadgerBob

BadgerBob

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 12:09 AM

I know Holmgren is crazy, but he's not that crazy. No way do they do that.

Edited by BadgerBob, 29 January 2014 - 12:09 AM.

#56 Crashnburnluder

Crashnburnluder

Crashnburnluder

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,267 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 12:30 AM

Do people think we really are sellers, were 1 point out if playoffs and that while being not healthy. If were healthy we are maybe a D man short of being a real contender. Add a forward if Franzen is long term...

#57 PumpkinEscobar

PumpkinEscobar

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 464 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 12:36 AM

Apparently we're going after Vanek which I would be okay with as long as we don't lose Tatar in the deal AND he agrees to resign. Honestly though if we're healthy we don't need a forward. I would trade Backman/Marchenko, Pulkkinen and our 1st for a #1/2 dman though. Probably have to sweeten the pot with a roster player though, Kindl or Q. Who knows if that would get us one, but that's where I'd start.

no

#58 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,814 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 12:50 AM

Trade values seem to be pretty off around here. Let's look at last season's deadline while remembering the picks from that draft were worth much more.

Price for a proven top 6 forward:

Pominville + 4th = 1st, 2nd, Hackett, Larsson

Gaborik + depth = Brassard, Moore, Dorsett, 6th

Jagr = 2nd, Payne, McDermid

Roy = 2nd, Connauton

Clowe = 2nd, 2nd, 3rd

Iginla = 1st, Hanowski, Agostino

Morrow, 3rd = Morrow, 5th

Proven defencemen

Bouwmeester = 1st, 4th, Berra, Cundari

Regehr - 2nd, 2nd

Leopold = 2nd, 5th

Murray = 2nd, 2nd

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#59 nawein

nawein

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 12:58 AM

no

Care to elaborate? If it's because the value on our side isn't enough make the roster player Smith. Bottom line is we need a top dman. That's what I would go after.

Edited by nawein, 29 January 2014 - 01:26 AM.

#60 RyanBarnes!

RyanBarnes!

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,972 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 08:31 AM

I'd trade anyone but Zetterberg, Helm, Dekeyser, Smith and Howard for a powerforward. Even Datsyuk. Then add an enforcer. The complexion of this team must change to compete in the east. This would be a start.
"Joey (Kocur) has no fear" -Lyndon Byers
"Empty-net goals are for homos" -Al Iafrate