Photo
* * * * - 5 votes

Trade deadline fast approaching - who should we target?

• Please log in to reply
1869 replies to this topic

#601 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 03:25 PM

Kronwall - Ericsson
Smith - DeKeyser

Lashoff - Griffin

^^^^ Is not a D corp I want entering the playoffs. We are weakest at D, why would we want to make that worse by making Lashoff a regular, a rookie a regular, and giving Smith more ice time? What happens if one, or even multiple, D-men go down with injuries? We'd really be up sh**s creek then. Just cause our young forwards have flourished this season doesn't mean our young D-men will too. Case and point: Smith and Kindl. We should be trimming forwards and adding defensive depth.

About Zidlicky, you're correct about his injuries. I think his injury in Minnesota a few years ago just stuck out in my mind cause he was on my fantasy team that year, other than that you're right, he's been pretty healthy. He's a great puck mover and for an offensive D-man he isn't afraid to hit at all. I just think members around here would start throwing fits about his defense... though he's no worse than Q and the gang at this point either like you said.

At the end of the day, whether he were to re-sign at the end of the season with us or not, at 37 years old he's a rental. I might be willing to part with our 1st for that this year, if the draft class really is as weak as they say.

You're forgetting that the whole point of moving those guys was to bring in Zidlicky (and Jagr in LWs proposal). Basically the same defense we have now, just with Zidlicky in Quincey's spot, and Ouellet/Marchenko/Sproul in the 7 spot. Depth may be a little worse, but the top 6 is better. It also frees up a bit of cap space.

But I agree that a lot of people here would hate him.

#602 Dominator2005

Dominator2005

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 03:34 PM

Kulemin... OMG, exactly what we need another forward
"Some guys dream about scoring goals, or making big saves... I swear to God I dream about kicking ass in a hockey fight - no other way to say it than I love to do it, its who I am"... Brian McGrattan

#603 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 04:21 PM

NO FORWARDS, OUR 2ND BEST SCORING D-MAN HAS 13 PTS

#604 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,107 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 04:30 PM

And our top scoring forward is 66th in the nhl. Team is 19th in goals for. Defense would be fine if babs could have a proper lineup for once in his life.

#605 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 04:44 PM

And our top scoring forward is 66th in the nhl. Team is 19th in goals for. Defense would be fine if babs could have a proper lineup for once in his life.

They have 3 top 4 d-men.  Their top goal scorer has 16 goals and they're 19th in goals scored because all of their scorers have played fewer than 50 of their 58 potential games, and only Tatar has played in more than 80% of the possible games.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#606 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,482 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 04:54 PM

Yeah any defense that relies on Smith, Kindl, Quincey, to fill out their second pair will not be "fine". 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#607 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,107 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 05:01 PM

Actually it would. Smith looked great when he was with kronwall so why not keep it going and have big e with dekeyser. OMG SOMETHING THAT MIGHT ACTUALLY MAKE SENSE noooooooo

#608 PumpkinEscobar

PumpkinEscobar

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 06:06 PM

We like our team

Edited by PumpkinEscobar, 19 February 2014 - 06:07 PM.

#609 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 06:39 PM

We like our team

I like the team, I'm just not sure I LIKE like the team, and I really question whether or not I love the team.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#610 PumpkinEscobar

PumpkinEscobar

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 06:46 PM

Gonna be an interesting deadline

Edited by PumpkinEscobar, 19 February 2014 - 08:45 PM.

#611 Dominator2005

Dominator2005

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 08:29 PM

How can you judge our offense with all injuries that we had so far???

Our "new" 2nd line was complete for like 15 games... our biggest problem is our DEF and now there is Z injury also.

Our 1st line should be fine: Nyquist - Dats - Alf

2nd line: Jurco - Sheahan - Tatar

3rd line: Abdelkader - Helm - Weiss/Eaves

4th line: Miller - LG - Andersson/Eaves

Kenny should bring up Callahan - would love to see him on the 4th line.

Spares: Tootoo, Bert, Cleary

Still have Franzen and Z which could/should be back sometime (at least for the playoff's).

Our DEF is so bad: Smith should be playing with Kronwall, he was really solid with K.

DeKe - E

Kindl / Q = GARBAGE, bring up Marchenko and Ouellet at worst case but STOP playing those two.

Edited by Dominator2005, 19 February 2014 - 08:39 PM.

"Some guys dream about scoring goals, or making big saves... I swear to God I dream about kicking ass in a hockey fight - no other way to say it than I love to do it, its who I am"... Brian McGrattan

#612 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,184 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 12:59 PM

The reason why defense should be the priority is that addressing it would, in theory, help both our defense and our offense. Good offense starts with good defense. Good defense is a team concept, but it of course begins and ends with the blue line (and the man between the pipes, but yeah). A good blue line has a very strong top four. We have a decent top three with Kyle Quincey rounding out the top four. And then Brendan Smith and Jakub Kindl. If the goal is to go deep in the playoffs, our D corps is not going to cut it.

Putting Smith on the first pairing isn't really a plan for improvement. Nor is bringing up Callahan. We should be thinking about changes that might help us win a Cup.

Edited by Dabura, 20 February 2014 - 07:17 PM.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#613 GoWings!

GoWings!

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 01:31 PM

Wish we had enough talent on this team where we could pair Fedorov on defense with Larry Murphy. Those were the days...

#614 Andy Pred 48

Andy Pred 48

Coming soon,"the slovak line" Marek and 2 Toms!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 01:58 PM

Tallinder in as a stop gap vet presence on the D. Quincey out to Boston/whoever have actually inquired about him.

All depends on how Pav is and if Z is out for the season, which i feel he may be. Weiss due back and will get the

chance to C the 2nd line for remainder of the year, Cleary and Bert will get a reprieve because of the 4 player

movement rule after the deadline. I dont see kenny doing more than that. This summer is where he will make the big

changes. Who ? the best D available hopefully.

"What are you guys doing?" Reggie Dunlop
"Putting on the foil coach" Jeff Hanson
"Yeah, every game, you want some coach?" Steve Hanson
"Er, no. No thanks guys." Reggie Dunlop
"Make sure they don't leave the bench!" Reggie Dunlop.

#615 number9

number9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 04:43 PM

Tallinder in as a stop gap vet presence on the D. Quincey out to Boston/whoever have actually inquired about him.

All depends on how Pav is and if Z is out for the season, which i feel he may be. Weiss due back and will get the

chance to C the 2nd line for remainder of the year, Cleary and Bert will get a reprieve because of the 4 player

movement rule after the deadline. I dont see kenny doing more than that. This summer is where he will make the big

changes. Who ? the best D available hopefully.

He's literally a carbon copy of Ericsson, just older and declining. I like that he's a swede, but I just don't think another defense oriented guy is what we need. IMO we need that quarterback that can move things up the ice when Kronners is on the bench.

#616 Andy Pred 48

Andy Pred 48

Coming soon,"the slovak line" Marek and 2 Toms!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 05:53 PM

I agree, i just dont see us getting one in before the deadline. Ive just put what i thought would happen this deadline, and as far as i can see Kenny wont be doing any more than that.

"What are you guys doing?" Reggie Dunlop
"Putting on the foil coach" Jeff Hanson
"Yeah, every game, you want some coach?" Steve Hanson
"Er, no. No thanks guys." Reggie Dunlop
"Make sure they don't leave the bench!" Reggie Dunlop.

#617 number9

number9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 06:21 PM

I agree, i just dont see us getting one in before the deadline. Ive just put what i thought would happen this deadline, and as far as i can see Kenny wont be doing any more than that.

Yeah, my money is on a whole lotta nothing this deadline

#618 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,384 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 07:08 PM

Yeah, my money is on a whole lotta nothing this deadline

I don't think we'll be seeing a lot of moves overall, most contenders are tight to the cap and safe for the obvious players Vanek, Miller, Callahan and Girardi there is not much outthere.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

<< Win it for Mr. Hockey !

#619 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,017 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 07:20 PM

With Tavares done for the season and Z potentially being out too it might open up an opportunity for the wings to take on Vanek before the deadline (provided we can agree on a deal long term). I know its a long shot but it is a nice opportunity considering the Isles no longer have the option to compete this year and we have so much cap space going forward to next year. It would be tough to give up our 1st considering it could be in that non-playoff lottery...

I would go nuts if we ended up drafting in the top 10 and got a guy like Draisaitl who we have no business getting in most years considering our traditional draft position. 

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#620 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 07:46 PM

With Tavares done for the season and Z potentially being out too it might open up an opportunity for the wings to take on Vanek before the deadline (provided we can agree on a deal long term). I know its a long shot but it is a nice opportunity considering the Isles no longer have the option to compete this year and we have so much cap space going forward to next year. It would be tough to give up our 1st considering it could be in that non-playoff lottery...

I would go nuts if we ended up drafting in the top 10 and got a guy like Draisaitl who we have no business getting in most years considering our traditional draft position. 

We could only do a deal like that if we were sure Hank was out for the remainder of the season. As of yet, I haven't seen anything to suggest we're even sure he'll be out the 10 games necessary to LTIR him at all.

That said, on the page linked in the Tavares injury thread, some Isles fan suggested trading Vanek and their first for Martin Jones. That'd be a move I think even Snow would be ashamed of (and technically I don't think they can trade their 1st at the deadline), but if we could pull off that kind of robbery... :)