Photo
* * * * - 5 votes

Trade deadline fast approaching - who should we target?

• Please log in to reply
1869 replies to this topic

#641 Andy Pred 48

Andy Pred 48

Coming soon,"the slovak line" Marek and 2 Toms!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,886 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 07:03 PM

I never said Grabner was available. I'm saying given the choice Id take him over Vanek. He's 4 years younger has a another 2 years on a $3m a year contract which is over $4m a year less than Vanek is on and will want. He is being way miss-used by the Isle's. He has a great set of wheels with elite level speed, plus a good goalscorer in a scoring role. I just feel you'd get more for your $ by getting Grabner in a trade and using him to compliment his skill set than you will by signing Vanek  as a UFA, at the $7m+ he is going to demand. Just my opinion thats all no suggestion thats what the Wings should do. 

"What are you guys doing?" Reggie Dunlop
"Putting on the foil coach" Jeff Hanson
"Yeah, every game, you want some coach?" Steve Hanson
"Er, no. No thanks guys." Reggie Dunlop
"Make sure they don't leave the bench!" Reggie Dunlop.

#642 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,394 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 07:26 PM

I never said Grabner was available. I'm saying given the choice Id take him over Vanek. He's 4 years younger has a another 2 years on a $3m a year contract which is over $4m a year less than Vanek is on and will want. He is being way miss-used by the Isle's. He has a great set of wheels with elite level speed, plus a good goalscorer in a scoring role. I just feel you'd get more for your $ by getting Grabner in a trade and using him to compliment his skill set than you will by signing Vanek  as a UFA, at the $7m+ he is going to demand. Just my opinion thats all no suggestion thats what the Wings should do. 

Look I*m not disagreeing with you in fact I agree with you. Vanek is going to be the hot price come UFA no doubt about that but personally I'd rather go "expensive" on the defensive side of the game and try to add guys like Grabner to our two Star centers. In terms of speed I would not be surprised if this guy is top 5.

Cammaleri is an interesting choice but only for a modest price if it involes a first pass.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

<< Win it for Mr. Hockey !

#643 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,118 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 07:47 PM

Nothing against grabner but to me that seems like making a move to make a move. I think we got guys in house that can provide what he does. What we don't have is a vanek type player that can score 35, 40+ goals a year.

So for me to be a buyer it'd have to be to obtain something we don't have and that we need. But I also won't trade a lot for a rental, vanek won't be worth what the isles want unless we work out an extension before hand.

Same thing with a number one defenseman. I'd love to get an elite number one but come on, is it realistic? No.

That's why I'd be ok with being sellers unless some sort of deal falls in our lap...which it most likely won't. Now who can we sell? Quincey and ummmmmm that's about it.

#644 Richdg

Richdg

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,000 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 08:34 PM

Grabner would require a trade. In other words cost us more than Vanek. Vanek can be sgned as a UFA. To get Grabner we would have to send a nyquist and oullett type combo.

Just to repeat: No rentals!

#645 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,483 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 08:38 PM

With Z going on LTIR (most likely) I can totally see Holland making a move now, provided he can free up enough cap space. I just pray it’s not a dumb one. 

"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#646 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,639 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 08:42 PM

Stand pat. First time in awhile, I will actually defend Holland for "kicking the tires". The Red Wings weren't a player away from championship contention with Henrik Zetterberg and now they are down their MVP. I do wish the streak will remain intact, but I don't want to give up assets for a rental player or marginal impact player that won't change the Red Wings fortunes of borderline playoff team. Nyquist and Tatar are basically untouchable to me if they are going to be dangled for some "quick fix" just because Z is out. 

Hope Weiss and Franzen get/stay healthy, let Sheahan and Jurco continue to play and build a solid foundation for next season and beyond. Trade Quincey for whatever the hell you can get in return and use the cap space created from the dead weight being gone to fix the defense this summer. 

Edited by GoWings1905, 21 February 2014 - 08:46 PM.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#647 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,024 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 08:51 PM

Trade Q ASAP for best return possible (some pick) no clue what value he has to other teams. Use the cap space generated by moving Q and sending Sammy and Eaves (i wish Cleary) back down to swing a trade. Either a top 4 dman or vanek/moulson. Z is back for playoffs and BOOM.

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#648 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,621 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 08:53 PM

Nothing against grabner but to me that seems like making a move to make a move. I think we got guys in house that can provide what he does. What we don't have is a vanek type player that can score 35, 40+ goals a year.
So for me to be a buyer it'd have to be to obtain something we don't have and that we need. But I also won't trade a lot for a rental, vanek won't be worth what the isles want unless we work out an extension before hand.
Same thing with a number one defenseman. I'd love to get an elite number one but come on, is it realistic? No.
That's why I'd be ok with being sellers unless some sort of deal falls in our lap...which it most likely won't. Now who can we sell? Quincey and ummmmmm that's about it.

Vanek isn't a 35 or 40 goal guy anymore. He's a 30 goal guy.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#649 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,118 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 09:18 PM

Go wings 1905 I completely agree with that.

And Dickie he is 30 right? And with buffalo he literally had no one around him. Give him z or dat and I be the is. But with that said I still don't want to trade for him. No sense in giving up assets for a rental. And we're not going to compete for cup this year.

Edited by DeGraa55, 21 February 2014 - 09:19 PM.

#650 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,621 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 09:28 PM

Go wings 1905 I completely agree with that.
And Dickie he is 30 right? And with buffalo he literally had no one around him. Give him z or dat and I be the is. But with that said I still don't want to trade for him. No sense in giving up assets for a rental. And we're not going to compete for cup this year.

He had decent linemates still. I can't see him all of a sudden jumping up 5 or 10 goals a year playing in Detroit. First, the offense wouldn't be centered around getting him shots. Second players tend to see their numbers level off and drop after 30.

Don't get me wrong, I'd take him on a 4 or 5 year contract , but no longer than that and not for more than $7 mil per.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#651 PumpkinEscobar

PumpkinEscobar

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 09:29 PM

Mantha with #50 tonight

#652 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,118 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 09:56 PM

Dickie I agree on contract I wouldn't go more than 7 either.

But if he plays with dat I do believe the offense on that line is centered around him. It's no secret dat is always in pass first mode so I do think his goals would go up just from that.

After the juniors season is up can mantha play with the griffins then? I'm assuming juniors ends earlier than ahl does. If he has 50 all ready I gotta imagine he is ready to take that next step.

Edited by DeGraa55, 21 February 2014 - 09:57 PM.

#653 PumpkinEscobar

PumpkinEscobar

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 10:52 PM

When his season is over he'll join the Griffins..same with Athanasiou

#654 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,195 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 11:42 PM

edit

Edited by Dabura, 21 February 2014 - 11:48 PM.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#655 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,195 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 11:51 PM

Wait, why are we talking about Mantha? He's still a few years away. Or are we thinking about trading him?

Don't Toews me, bro!

#656 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,611 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 12:54 PM

I'm curious ti see how Z's injury affects Holland's strategy. We wont be sellers, there's no point. I think he still makes a move. All we have to do Is float around .500 and then Z will be back for playoffs (hopefully). So he should stick to his game plan. Maybe this puts an emphasis on getting a scorer, too, but overall our franchise goal stays the same. Improve defensively for a playoff run.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#657 Nyquistfan14

Nyquistfan14

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 01:04 PM

I would look to bring in a guy like hemsky, and then a guy like zidlicky. Mine out Quincey, Anderson, cleary if possible, tootoo

#658 sjr2012

sjr2012

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 03:55 PM

we need to do somethng

try to get something by me i dare you

:goalie:

#659 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,195 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 05:17 PM

Helm, Quincey, Kindl, and a 1st for Girardi (if it comes to that with him and the Rangers). I doubt any top free agent is going to want to "make Alfie's mistake" in signing with the Wings unless we get to the guy first, i.e. trade for him this season.

Abdelkader  Datsyuk  Alfredsson

Franzen  Weiss  Nyquist

Jurco  Sheahan  Tatar

Miller  Andersson  Eaves

(Z on LTIR)

Kronwall  Ericsson

Smith  Girardi

DeKeyser  Marchenko

meh

Don't Toews me, bro!

#660 Dominator2005

Dominator2005

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 05:23 PM

Grabner would require a trade. In other words cost us more than Vanek. Vanek can be sgned as a UFA. To get Grabner we would have to send a nyquist and oullett type combo.

Just to repeat: No rentals!

Nyquist and Ouellet for Grabner... I quit
"Some guys dream about scoring goals, or making big saves... I swear to God I dream about kicking ass in a hockey fight - no other way to say it than I love to do it, its who I am"... Brian McGrattan