• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

nyqvististhefuture

Trade deadline fast approaching - who should we target?

Rate this topic

I read an interesting quote from Royals GM Dayton about the Will Myers trade:

"If you focus on what youre losing, youll never make a deal. Youll be paralyzed. You have to focus on what youre getting in return and thats what we focused on."

I know it's not about Hockey, but I think it fits with the theme and philosophy of the trade deadline or trades in general.

Moore had to say something to attempt to save face from one of the worst trades in MLB history.

I agree but I believe the shift in philosophy post-cap is responsible for this and Wings fans just really struggle with this because we are so used to elite teams and acquiring top players.

I would say get used to this style of low-risk management because it's best for long-term sustainability and it's not changing.

Not saying we'll never make a big move but they will be very few and far between. At least till the cap gets much higher. Regardless with the way profit-sharing works I wouldn't expect a return of the old days anytime.

I think that where a lot of the anger comes in is when the team has had cap space and what Holland decided to do with it. Instead of spending the cap space on top guys we get deals such as Ian White and Sammy which seems like a waste of cap space. But yeah I agree with you I see no end in sight for Hollands low-risk management style.

I think that where a lot of the anger comes in is when the team has had cap space and what Holland decided to do with it. Instead of spending the cap space on top guys we get deals such as Ian White and Sammy which seems like a waste of cap space. But yeah I agree with you I see no end in sight for Hollands low-risk management style.

True but at the same time we can't act like every FA wants to come here. We're not that team every wants to come to anymore.

We used to be 1 of like 6 attractive destinations. There's now around 20 and every team is spending more and more money because the structure of the league has changed.

We couldn't get the 1-2 first tier guys so we had to pick from the leftovers and went with familiar guys and still managed to snag Alfie and Weiss (who believe it or not were 2 of the best FAs last year)

True but at the same time we can't act like every FA wants to come here. We're not that team every wants to come to anymore.

We used to be 1 of like 6 attractive destinations. There's now around 20 and every team is spending more and more money because the structure of the league has changed.

We couldn't get the 1-2 first tier guys so we had to pick from the leftovers and went with familiar guys and still managed to snag Alfie and Weiss (who believe it or not were 2 of the best FAs last year)

I agree, but it's a double edged sword. We won't become the class of the league again unless we get better. And it will be tough to get free agents to take less to play here until we get better.

Not really sure what to make of Weiss though, I liked the move when he signed. But he seems to be a completely different player then what I thought he was. I hope it was the injury that slowed him down but I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Nick Kypreos and a few Vancouver beat guys seem to think were in on Kesler. Please god no, will cost too many pieces and that guy is an absolute puke.

Agreed. Stay far away from Kesler. Roll with this forward group, hopefully get into the playoffs and see what happens with Z coming back. I am terrified of what it would take to get Kesler.

How bout Weiss, Anderson, Quincey, and Almquist for Kesler, Edler, and prospect.

Kesler-Datsyuk- Alfy

Nyquist- Helm- Franzen

Tatar-Sheahan-Jurco

Abby-glendening/eaves/miller/

Kronwall-Ericsson

Edler-DeKeyser

Smith-Lashoff

Kesler scores like crazy when he's on Sedins wing. He's a Diva, but maybe Wings leadership can keep him in check.

Edited by T.Low

If Buffalo is selling everyone. Wings should be talking Christian Ehrhoff.

I want Stafford.

Myers is available via TSN apparently.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=444838

We could try to buy lowish on him considering he has regressed.

Was listening to the Marek v Wysh podcast. Marek was talking to (can't remember his name) a beat writer for the Buffalo News.

He said that EVERYONE not named Girgensons is on the block.

Although the same beat writer said that Buffalo is looking for younger forward prospects not picks...

...so it would depend on what Buffalo was asking for but, I've always liked Ehrhoff and wouldn't have a problem with grabbing him up if possible.

Buffalo doesn't seem to be a good fit for him and playing for a bad team isn't making it any better

Ehrhoff actually has strung together a couple good games since the Olympic Break. 2 G 1A +1 TOI: over 20:00/game

Yeah, he's got that super-long contract, but 18 of the 40 million has already been paid out.

$4 million cap hit. Current salary at $4 million w/ salary going tp $3 million in 17-18 and $1 million through the final 3.

He's gotta be better than Q and K, no?