Photo
* * * * - 5 votes

Trade deadline fast approaching - who should we target?

• Please log in to reply
1869 replies to this topic

#61 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,726 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 08:45 AM

I'd trade anyone but Zetterberg, Helm, Dekeyser, Smith and Howard for a powerforward. Even Datsyuk. Then add an enforcer. The complexion of this team must change to compete in the east. This would be a start.

I just want to be clear, you'd trade Datsyuk for a powerforward but Smith is untouchable?

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#62 Spongewingredpants

Spongewingredpants

Blade Brunner

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 08:51 AM

we have no assets to trade (oh, and no cap room)

a trade for somebody like Vanek will not magically make us win games in sequence anyway. We are missing on any given day 3-7 of our top players. what is one trade going to accomplish?

Bring back No. 91

#63 RyanBarnes!

RyanBarnes!

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,858 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:02 AM

I just want to be clear, you'd trade Datsyuk for a powerforward but Smith is untouchable?

Yes. Detroit has played fairly well at times without Datsyuk this season (significantly better than without Zetterberg). Smith has improved a lot already but will only get better. He is yet to play a full season in the NHL and to trade him now would be incredibly stupid.
"Joey (Kocur) has no fear" -Lyndon Byers
"Empty-net goals are for homos" -Al Iafrate

#64 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:05 AM

don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but supposidly callahan is available out of new york..

http://prohockeytalk...in-trade-talks/

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#65 RyanBarnes!

RyanBarnes!

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,858 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:22 AM

don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but supposidly callahan is available out of new york..

Would be a great aquisition but I wonder about the asking price? There are already quite a few long term contracts on this team too.

#66 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,726 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:28 AM

Yes. Detroit has played fairly well at times without Datsyuk this season (significantly better than without Zetterberg). Smith has improved a lot already but will only get better. He is yet to play a full season in the NHL and to trade him now would be incredibly stupid.

I mean, I get that Smith is going to improve.  I agree actually, he'd almost have to.  But apparently you think he's going to improve so much that you'd rather move Datsyuk than him?  Do you really believe his ceiling is that high?

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

#67 Trastion

Trastion

Prospect

• 42 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:35 AM

Are there any "veterans" who are about to retire or who have retired in the last 2 years that we can dump Tatar, Nyquist & Jurco for? That would be the only trade I can see Holland making. He doesn't even try anymore.

#68 RyanBarnes!

RyanBarnes!

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,858 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:40 AM

I mean, I get that Smith is going to improve.  I agree actually, he'd almost have to.  But apparently you think he's going to improve so much that you'd rather move Datsyuk than him?  Do you really believe his ceiling is that high?

Well let's be honest Datsyuk is 35 and closer to the end of his career. I'm not sure what he'd be worth but if trading him means landing a top 6 power forward I would be interested. I think Smith has looked pretty good this season after a slow start. I think Smith can be every bit as good as Kronwall is and maybe more, so yes.

#69 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:51 AM

This might be the first tdl were the Wings are finally going to be sellers now the question is, who can bring in the most ?

Assuming Nyquist, Tatar are going nowhere without ridiculous overpayment

Thats leaves Alfie, Weiss, Mule as the next "high tier" players, because I don't think guys like Kindl, Abdelkader, Smith will return us a first rounder.

lidsretire2.jpg

Thank you so much perfect human being #5

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

Phase I: injury rattled roster Phase II: BABCOCK Phase III: Playoffs XXIII !

#70 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,726 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:54 AM

Well let's be honest Datsyuk is 35 and closer to the end of his career. I'm not sure what he'd be worth but if trading him means landing a top 6 power forward I would be interested. I think Smith has looked pretty good this season after a slow start. I think Smith can be every bit as good as Kronwall is and maybe more, so yes.

I'm sorry I'm asking a lot of questions, I'm just trying to follow your line of thought.  You'd keep Smith because of his upside as a young defenseman, but you'd trade Dekeyser?  I mean, doesn't he have even more defensive upside than Smith?

#71 The Secret

The Secret

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 10:21 AM

I'm sorry I'm asking a lot of questions, I'm just trying to follow your line of thought.  You'd keep Smith because of his upside as a young defenseman, but you'd trade Dekeyser?  I mean, doesn't he have even more defensive upside than Smith?

He say he would NOT trade Dekeyser or Smith and would trade Datsyuk right now for a top 6 power forward. I like his thinking for the right guy... Datsyuk is Datsyuk but he is getting closer to the end of his career and if his value could bring in that Shanahan type player we are missing I see it as a no brainer!

#72 RyanBarnes!

RyanBarnes!

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,858 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 10:28 AM

No, re-read my original post and you will find that Dekeyser's name is there too.

#73 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,245 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 10:30 AM

You don't trade Datsyuk.  Around the league he is the PLAYERS choice for best player in the league.  If ANYONE is going to want to come here and play, it's to be able to play with Datsyuk, not Zetterberg.  I'm sorry, Zetterberg is a star, but he is an average star, there are a bunch of players in the NHL that I would rather have on this team than Zetterberg.  Pav, is a Superstar, there is nobody in this league that is a better complete NHL superstar, and nobody you could offer me that I would trade him for...

I am not saying trade Zetterberg either, but if it came down to another "choice," Zetterberg would be the one to go everyday of the week.

Laugh it up, delete it all, I'll be laughing when it happens! -4/17/14

#74 Hey man nice shot!

Hey man nice shot!

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 10:38 AM

You don't trade Datsyuk.  Around the league he is the PLAYERS choice for best player in the league.  If ANYONE is going to want to come here and play, it's to be able to play with Datsyuk, not Zetterberg.  I'm sorry, Zetterberg is a star, but he is an average star, there are a bunch of players in the NHL that I would rather have on this team than Zetterberg.  Pav, is a Superstar, there is nobody in this league that is a better complete NHL superstar, and nobody you could offer me that I would trade him for...

I am not saying trade Zetterberg either, but if it came down to another "choice," Zetterberg would be the one to go everyday of the week.

I hate to agree on this, but i do.

#75 The Secret

The Secret

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 10:42 AM

I hate to agree on this, but i do.

I'd be happy keeping Datsyuk and trading Zetterberg for that right player.

#76 RyanBarnes!

RyanBarnes!

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,858 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 10:49 AM

Detroit has a better record with Zetterberg only than Datsyuk only this season and I dont think it is coincidence. Now I dont necessarily want to trade Datsyuk (and I certainly dont expect it to happen) but it supports my standing that this team need a radical makeover.

#77 BadgerBob

BadgerBob

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 10:56 AM

I get that if Gretzky can be traded, anyone can, but there's no way this team trades Dats or Z. These two and Kronwall are the only players we have that are above average right now. These are the guys that will be showing these rookies how things are done around here, setting an example that was put in them by some of the best players to ever play the game. They're both way too important to the team to even consider trading them.

#78 jimmyemeryhunter

jimmyemeryhunter

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 774 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:14 AM

Detroit has a better record with Zetterberg only than Datsyuk only this season and I dont think it is coincidence. Now I dont necessarily want to trade Datsyuk (and I certainly dont expect it to happen) but it supports my standing that this team need a radical makeover.

He didn't question zetterbergs standing as this teams leader, because everyone knows he absolutely is, which is why you see the w-l record that way.

the kids on this team were just being born or are too young to remember when steve y was made captain, and most of them were in the org when they gave z the c.
Three captains in their lifetime, and they're part of the legacy of the third one.
They rely on him emotionally, just like we did with lids.

When Datsyuk hangs his skates up hell be in the conversations of best two way centers to ever play the game for years to come.
You don't trade that.
And realistically, what power forward would you accept for him?

As for the whole "if Gretzky can be traded" argument, id have believes any blockbuster trade was an option, had the wings traded stevie y.
The red wings are loyal to a fault, they're not going to trade away one of the most gifted, and humble players to ever play.
Had feds not made such a big deal out of getting his paycheck, he would've retired a wing too.

Edited by jimmyemeryhunter, 29 January 2014 - 11:14 AM.

#79 GoWings!

GoWings!

Rookie

• Pip
  • 192 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:38 AM

Z and Dats aren't gonna get traded. Simple as that. Anyone else except Howard(I'd get rid of him in a heartbeat, though,if we can get another starting goalie in return), Kronwall and probably Dekeyser can be moved.

Edited by GoWings!, 29 January 2014 - 11:39 AM.

#80 Cloune

Cloune

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 11:38 AM

no way, Hudler and Brunner inc !