Photo
* * * * - 5 votes

Trade deadline fast approaching - who should we target?

• Please log in to reply
1869 replies to this topic

#901 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 04:42 PM

It's obvious what your point was and that you were not analyzing the trade itself or some baseball GMs career. He must be having a really bad day. lol

No doubt Holland has this problem at times as he seems to get a little too connected to guys once they get on the Wings roster.

However it's also important to always keep in mind the direction and state of the franchise as well. I don't envy a GM's job.  Ok I do, but I don't pretend it's as easy as people think.

I agree being a GM is a tough tough job especially with an entire fan base constantly screaming and scrutinizing your every move, not that he cares.

But ever since the 09 season Holland seems to be in a holding pattern, he's been waiting for things to happen instead of making them happen. When the team has been good enough to contended he says that we already have the players we need to win, and when we are struggling he says that being a bubble team it's hard to upgrade. He seems to have an excuse for not making a move every year.

When Rafalski retired and he had cash he didn't get a replacement. And when Holmstrom and Lidstrom retired he failed to replace their production. And yet the Wings keep insisting on playing a puck possession game when they don't have the players to do it anymore.

I envy holland. He gets paid loads of money lately to sit on his hands. The scouts are doing a lot of the dirty work finding the young talent and holland just has to make sure they actually get a roster spot when they are ready (something he blows at). If he was making big moves or solid UFA acquisitions I would be impressed but the latest acquisitions of Quincey, Sammy, Tootoo, Coliacovo, White, Commodore, Weiss?? were all terrible and low risk/reward type. The only deal I applaud him for lately was Alfie who was pretty much ready to come anyways. Holland HAS been able to sign our talent at reasonable deals which is nice I guess.

I'll commend him on getting guys to buy into the Wings system, but I'm sure the passionate fan base and great ownership has a lot to do with players wanting to stay with the Wings.

"He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero. Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there." ~ Franzen 

#902 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 04:45 PM

I agree being a GM is a tough tough job especially with an entire fan base constantly screaming and scrutinizing your every move, not that he cares.

But ever since the 09 season Holland seems to be in a holding pattern, he's been waiting for things to happen instead of making them happen. When the team has been good enough to contended he says that we already have the players we need to win, and when we are struggling he says that being a bubble team it's hard to upgrade. He seems to have an excuse for not making a move every year.

When Rafalski retired and he had cash he didn't get a replacement. And when Holmstrom and Lidstrom retired he failed to replace their production. And yet the Wings keep insisting on playing a puck possession game when they don't have the players to do it anymore.

I agree but I believe the shift in philosophy post-cap is responsible for this and Wings fans just really struggle with this because we are so used to elite teams and acquiring top players.

I would say get used to this style of low-risk management because it's best for long-term sustainability and it's not changing.

Not saying we'll never make a big move but they will be very few and far between.  At least till the cap gets much higher.  Regardless with the way profit-sharing works I wouldn't expect a return of the old days anytime.

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#903 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,226 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 04:50 PM

I read an interesting quote from Royals GM Dayton about the Will Myers trade:

"If you focus on what youre losing, youll never make a deal. Youll be paralyzed. You have to focus on what youre getting in return and thats what we focused on."

I know it's not about Hockey, but I think it fits with the theme and philosophy of the trade deadline or trades in general.

Moore had to say something to attempt to save face from one of the worst trades in MLB history. 

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#904 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 04:54 PM

I agree but I believe the shift in philosophy post-cap is responsible for this and Wings fans just really struggle with this because we are so used to elite teams and acquiring top players.

I would say get used to this style of low-risk management because it's best for long-term sustainability and it's not changing.

Not saying we'll never make a big move but they will be very few and far between.  At least till the cap gets much higher.  Regardless with the way profit-sharing works I wouldn't expect a return of the old days anytime.

I think that where a lot of the anger comes in is when the team has had cap space and what Holland decided to do with it. Instead of spending the cap space on top guys we get deals such as Ian White and Sammy which seems like a waste of cap space. But yeah I agree with you I see no end in sight for Hollands low-risk management style.

"He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero. Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there." ~ Franzen 

#905 Ally

Ally

just figured out how to change my title

• PipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 04:54 PM

Canucks fan friend: Nyquist, Mantha, and a second seems fair for Kesler, right?
Me: HA!

"Everything he does is exciting to watch.” -Holmstrom describes Datsyuk

#906 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 05:12 PM

I think that where a lot of the anger comes in is when the team has had cap space and what Holland decided to do with it. Instead of spending the cap space on top guys we get deals such as Ian White and Sammy which seems like a waste of cap space. But yeah I agree with you I see no end in sight for Hollands low-risk management style.

True but at the same time we can't act like every FA wants to come here.  We're not that team every wants to come to anymore.

We used to be 1 of like 6 attractive destinations. There's now around 20 and every team is spending more and more money because the structure of the league has changed.

We couldn't get the 1-2 first tier guys so we had to pick from the leftovers and went with familiar guys and still managed to snag Alfie and Weiss (who believe it or not were 2 of the best FAs last year)

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#907 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 05:20 PM

True but at the same time we can't act like every FA wants to come here.  We're not that team every wants to come to anymore.

We used to be 1 of like 6 attractive destinations. There's now around 20 and every team is spending more and more money because the structure of the league has changed.

We couldn't get the 1-2 first tier guys so we had to pick from the leftovers and went with familiar guys and still managed to snag Alfie and Weiss (who believe it or not were 2 of the best FAs last year)

I agree, but it's a double edged sword. We won't become the class of the league again unless we get better. And it will be tough to get free agents to take less to play here until we get better.

Not really sure what to make of Weiss though, I liked the move when he signed. But he seems to be a completely different player then what I thought he was. I hope it was the injury that slowed him down but I guess we'll find out soon enough.

#908 Internet.Unknown

Internet.Unknown

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 05:56 PM

Gotta get rid of cleary big Bert and Weiss

Judging Weiss by his performance this season while injured is unwise.

#909 darkmanx

darkmanx

Toronto's Finest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,617 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 06:54 PM

If Buffalo is selling everyone. Wings should be talking Christian Ehrhoff.

Edited by darkmanx, 27 February 2014 - 06:54 PM.

#910 number9

number9

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,210 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 07:21 PM

Don't think he's on the block

#911 brett

brett

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,974 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 07:33 PM

should get alfie to convince karlsson to come here :)

kesler for franzen and a pick

Edited by brett, 27 February 2014 - 07:39 PM.

#912 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 08:29 PM

I want Stafford.

#913 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,026 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 08:31 PM

Nick Kypreos and a few Vancouver beat guys seem to think were in on Kesler. Please god no, will cost too many pieces and that guy is an absolute puke.

#NOMOREKINDL

#914 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,963 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 08:35 PM

I wouldn't mind Kes as a Wing, we'd slap the diving out of him. That being said, I shudder to think what we'd have to give up to get him.

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

#915 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,226 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 08:51 PM

Nick Kypreos and a few Vancouver beat guys seem to think were in on Kesler. Please god no, will cost too many pieces and that guy is an absolute puke.

Agreed. Stay far away from Kesler. Roll with this forward group, hopefully get into the playoffs and see what happens with Z coming back. I am terrified of what it would take to get Kesler.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#916 GoWings!

GoWings!

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 09:15 PM

Ottawa announcers are absolute imbeciles. Franzen is lucky tonight and only scores against the Sens. Seriously? Just accept the beatdown.

#917 MasterPavel

MasterPavel

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 09:18 PM

Ottawa announcers are absolute imbeciles. Franzen is lucky tonight and only scores against the Sens. Seriously? Just accept the beatdown.

Wrong thread but I agree. Not one of his goals were luck.

#918 GoWings!

GoWings!

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 09:20 PM

Damn it! Sorry..but yea..dumb announcers. :nono:

#919 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 09:35 PM

There was a story up on NBCsports.com saying that the Wings, pens, and a couple of others were all trying to land Kesler.

#920 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,822 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 10:18 PM

Great win, but just another excuse Kenny can use to not make a trade.