Photo
* * * * - 5 votes

Trade deadline fast approaching - who should we target?

• Please log in to reply
1869 replies to this topic

#1341 joesuffP

joesuffP

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,978 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 01:13 AM

RH physical, world class Defense, elite top 6 player. Naw I don't want him

#1342 marcaractac

marcaractac

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,327 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 01:19 AM

Truth. Sure we can also use a puck moving dman. as far as defense goes, adding Kesler would improve the teams overall ability to defend. I by no means expect the Wings to land Kesler, but I sure as hell wouldn't complain if it ended up happening. Especially if we were to land someone like Edler or Ehrhoff as well.

#1343 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,990 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 01:25 AM

Truth. Sure we can also use a puck moving dman. as far as defense goes, adding Kesler would improve the teams overall ability to defend. I by no means expect the Wings to land Kesler, but I sure as hell wouldn't complain if it ended up happening. Especially if we were to land someone like Edler or Ehrhoff as well.

Forgive my half-drunkedness but can someone please explain where the cap space would come from to add 9M-11M at the deadline? 

"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#1344 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 01:29 AM

This.

The opportunities to land a player of his caliber in a trade these days is very rare. He's a quirky dude, no doubt, but he can instantly make the Wings a major contender.

Edited by T.Low, 02 March 2014 - 01:29 AM.

#1345 marcaractac

marcaractac

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,327 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 01:32 AM

Forgive my half-drunkedness but can someone please explain where the cap space would come from to add 9M-11M at the deadline? 

Landing a legit top 4 makes quincey expendable. Hank's contract could come off the cap for the rest of the season due to his surgery. Going beyond this year, a lot of dead cap space comes off the books. You'd also have to think Alfie will probably hang it up. Kesler would be a nice way to replace his production going forward.We'd also have to give up a current roster player to land the Likes of Kesler as well. Either way, cap-wise it can definitely work for the rest of this season.

#1346 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,089 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 04:36 AM

You'd also have to think Alfie will probably hang it up.

I'm assuming he'll be back. He addressed the question a few days ago and basically said he's leaning that way, another season with the Wings.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#1347 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,089 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 05:15 AM

It's amazing how wrong you are.

This team is currently 7th in goals allowed

They are 12th in goals scored. 

This team is in bad need of finishers, the defense while not spectacular hasn't been as bad as many people think it is.

We have a solid top six and an electric third line, even with some key forwards injured. We don't have a legitimate top four, even with a fully healthy D corps. Given that defense wins championships (see: Team Canada), we should be looking to bolster our blue line. Take care of the defense and the offense should take care of itself. (Indeed, the main reason why our offense has been sagging is that our blue line isn't driving and directing the attack like it used to, when we had an actual top four with not one but three all-star offensive defensemen playing monster minutes.)

Don't Toews me, bro!

#1348 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,970 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 05:23 AM

Kesler is a guy a team adds to put them over the top = the range of cup favorites something the Wings are years away from being. Getting Kesler would mean see you to a first and one of Nyquist, Tatar, Sheahan + B level prospect = no thanks as a rebuilding/tooling team.

The defense is barely good enough to hang onto a wildcard spot so instead of adding offense this team needs a top 4 that deserves the name.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#1349 wings4thecup06

wings4thecup06

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 06:40 AM

Kesler for a 1st, Quincey, Kindl, Andersson and Samuelsson?? 

I'm just dreaming here I know and I doubt the Canucks would ever do that - for the record I haven't looked at the cap logistics of that because I know it won't happen….

temp 1

#1350 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,642 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 07:32 AM

Helm, Almqvist, 1st for Kesler. No more. If that ain't enough, then no thanks.

Kindl, 3rd for Derek Morris.

Deadline done, bring on the playoffs.

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#1351 Dominator2005

Dominator2005

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,227 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 07:33 AM

For what exactly? For another non Stanley cup, because Kesler is far from what they need. Yeah Shero go for it and waste another year of Crosby and Malkin. The penguins need defense and as long as they aren't improving their biggest weakness no offensive power is going to help them.Also Kesler would only be a number 3 center on their team just like here so no wax something like him accepts that.

FYI, Kesler can/will play RW.
"Some guys dream about scoring goals, or making big saves... I swear to God I dream about kicking ass in a hockey fight - no other way to say it than I love to do it, its who I am"... Brian McGrattan

#1352 Dominator2005

Dominator2005

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,227 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 07:46 AM

Helm, Almqvist, 1st for Kesler. No more. If that ain't enough, then no thanks.

Kindl, 3rd for Derek Morris.

Deadline done, bring on the playoffs.

Morris would be upgrade on DEF, our DEF is too weak and soft...
"Some guys dream about scoring goals, or making big saves... I swear to God I dream about kicking ass in a hockey fight - no other way to say it than I love to do it, its who I am"... Brian McGrattan

#1353 Dominator2005

Dominator2005

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,227 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 07:57 AM

This team is in bad need of finishers, the defense while not spectacular hasn't been as bad as many people think it is.

Kenny is saying that he's looking for D and our top 3 lines are stacked - problem is all injuries. So far our top 7 forwards missed 111 games and Dats is playing on one knee...

Kronwall is top 2 D but he's not the Top D.
E is top 4 playing top 2.
DeKe is top 4.
Q is bottom six playing top 4.
Smith is #5 playing top 4.
Kindl is bottom six playing sometimes top 4.
Lashoff is a solid AHL D playing #6.

Kenny should be looking for 4th line muscle - like Gazdic so he can take on Neil instead of having Franzen getting hurt again.

#1354 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,970 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 08:20 AM

FYI, Kesler can/will play RW.

Maybe but that doesn't help their defense. Even an amazing top 6 wouldn't enough to overcome their defensive shortcomings.

There is a reason why annual contenders are building from the net out. Anyway go for it Shero and be another third round exit hero. Pittsburgh is also ruining their future core by trading them away like nothing.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#1355 Dominator2005

Dominator2005

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,227 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 08:32 AM

Maybe but that doesn't help their defense. Even an amazing top 6 wouldn't enough to overcome their defensive shortcomings. There is a reason why annual contenders are building from the net out. Anyway go for it Shero and be another third round exit hero. Pittsburgh is also ruining their future core by trading them away like nothing.

Their D isn't that bad at all. They have been looking for the RW to play with Crosby and Kesler could be that player

#1356 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,479 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 09:35 AM

Kenny is saying that he's looking for D and our top 3 lines are stacked - problem is all injuries. So far our top 7 forwards missed 111 games and Dats is playing on one knee...
Kronwall is top 2 D but he's not the Top D.
E is top 4 playing top 2.
DeKe is top 4.
Q is bottom six playing top 4.
Smith is #5 playing top 4.
Kindl is bottom six playing sometimes top 4.
Lashoff is a solid AHL D playing #6.
Kenny should be looking for 4th line muscle - like Gazdic so he can take on Neil instead of having Franzen getting hurt again.

I agree that D is the bigger need, but unless you can show me 20 better d-men the Kronwall isn't a #1 thing is nonsense. Ericsson and Dekeyser are both better suited as a #3 though.

That said, a power forward is a close second on the list of what the team needs. Kesler would address that.

Tatar or Nyquist + a 1st+ D prospect + Helm or a B forward prospect.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#1357 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,797 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 09:43 AM

I think Kenny's being coy, he's trading that 1st in a package.  He's go so many quality prospects he's about to start losing them and this year's draft class is relatively thin...of all the years to trade your pick now is the time.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#1358 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,642 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 10:05 AM

repeat....Helm, Almqvist, 1st for Kesler...

Kindl, 3rd for Morris...

if not Morris then Kindl for Weaver...

www.thinkdunes.com

#1359 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,797 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 10:07 AM

repeat....Helm, Almqvist, 1st for Kesler...

Kindl, 3rd for Morris...

I think you'd probably have to give more to get Kesler.  Look at what Columbus got for Nash.  Probably have to upgrade the prospect part of it to Marchenko or Quellet at a minimum.

Edited by kipwinger, 02 March 2014 - 10:15 AM.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#1360 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

• Silver Booster
  • 8,642 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 10:27 AM

ya, but the fact that our 1st round pick will be almost 15 slots higher than, lets say, Pittsburgh, should add more value. Which we could send the lessor Almqvist. Plus Helm is a bit better all around than Sutter...

www.thinkdunes.com