Photo
* * * * - 5 votes

Trade deadline fast approaching - who should we target?

• Please log in to reply
1869 replies to this topic

#1401 marcaractac

marcaractac

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,326 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 05:05 PM

I think the best move for the team is to do next to nothing. If you can offload some unnecessary players for late round picks, great, otherwise just stand pat with what you have.

The cost of guys like Kesler and Edler will be our youth that has resurrected our season (Nyquist, Tatar, Sheahan, Jurco, Dekeyser), and neither would make us a significantly better team when you subtract the guys it would cost to get them here.

Trades are good when you're looking to add that final piece to a cup contender, or if you're looking to blow things up and start over. The Wings aren't in either situation. They could possibly become a cup contender should a bunch of things work out in our favor but realistically we should be happy if we are able to make the playoffs considering the injuries we've had to deal with. 

This is why we make a deal with Buffalo and not Vancouver. It would only take picks and prospects, not roster players. sure they'd probably have to take 1 or 2 of our bad expiring contracts as well (as they'd probably need to to stay above the cap floor anyway if they sell off everyone).

#1402 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,917 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 05:17 PM

I think the best move for the team is to do next to nothing. If you can offload some unnecessary players for late round picks, great, otherwise just stand pat with what you have.

The cost of guys like Kesler and Edler will be our youth that has resurrected our season (Nyquist, Tatar, Sheahan, Jurco, Dekeyser), and neither would make us a significantly better team when you subtract the guys it would cost to get them here.

Trades are good when you're looking to add that final piece to a cup contender, or if you're looking to blow things up and start over. The Wings aren't in either situation. They could possibly become a cup contender should a bunch of things work out in our favor but realistically we should be happy if we are able to make the playoffs considering the injuries we've had to deal with.

I am so not partying with you...

#1403 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,841 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 05:30 PM

This is not a Red Wing thing, but how long are the Canucks go to keep torturing Luongo? They should just trade him and get it over with, in fact they should have traded him last year and kept Schneider. 

"He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero. Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there." ~ Franzen 

#1404 brooklynsour

brooklynsour

Fedorov

• PipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 05:31 PM

I agree with flashy but management needs to trade for a dman preferably Weiss and quincy for a strong dman

#1405 FlashyG

FlashyG

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 05:37 PM

This is why we make a deal with Buffalo and not Vancouver. It would only take picks and prospects, not roster players. sure they'd probably have to take 1 or 2 of our bad expiring contracts as well (as they'd probably need to to stay above the cap floor anyway if they sell off everyone).

If they're taking back bad expiring contracts they're going to want even better prospects in return, who do we part with, Sproul, Ouellet, Backman, Mantha, Mrazek? Not to mention our 1st rounder.

What happens if Datsyuk decides he can't play on his injured knee any further and gets shut down for the year. is our team even with Ehrhoff good enough to make the playoffs missing both the eurotwins? Then we'd be in a situation where we'd have a lottery pick for the first time since its been in existence and it would be Buffalo's.

Unfortunately we're caught in limbo between being a buyer and a seller and generally its smarter to do nothing in that situation. 

#1406 marcaractac

marcaractac

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,326 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 05:39 PM

This is not a Red Wing thing, but how long are the Canucks go to keep torturing Luongo? They should just trade him and get it over with, in fact they should have traded him last year and kept Schneider. 

I feel awful for him. I always have been, and still am convinced that Lou's struggles at times during the playoffs were the fault of his surroundings. Can you imagine what goes on in that guys head at this point? I bet if he ever were to get away from Vancouver, he'd be back to his old form in no time. That entire organization is a mess. All I can say is good luck to them ever luring a big name UFA.

#1407 FlashyG

FlashyG

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 05:40 PM

I agree with flashy but management needs to trade for a dman preferably Weiss and quincy for a strong dman

The problem there is that Weiss is a huge question mark having played so few games over the past 2 seasons and being locked into such a long term expensive deal.

Quincey on the other hand is on an expiring contract so he'd be nothing more than a rental to a contender.

You'll need to add a 1st round pick, or a couple blue chip prospects to that if you want to get a top pairing defenceman (which is what we need) and even then it doesn't mean anything if we don't have Datsyuk and Zetterberg healthy come playoff time.

#1408 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,841 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 05:47 PM

I feel awful for him. I always have been, and still am convinced that Lou's struggles at times during the playoffs were the fault of his surroundings. Can you imagine what goes on in that guys head at this point? I bet if he ever were to get away from Vancouver, he'd be back to his old form in no time. That entire organization is a mess. All I can say is good luck to them ever luring a big name UFA.

Exactly, they traded Schneider and dangled playing time in front of Luongo; now they are screwing with him again. If he were a dog PETA would be all over the Canucks for abuse. I wouldn't blame him if he just held out playing and demanded a trade. He was one of the best goalies in the world and he could be again on another team. 

"He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero. Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there." ~ Franzen 

#1409 marcaractac

marcaractac

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,326 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 05:48 PM

If they're taking back bad expiring contracts they're going to want even better prospects in return, who do we part with, Sproul, Ouellet, Backman, Mantha, Mrazek? Not to mention our 1st rounder.

What happens if Datsyuk decides he can't play on his injured knee any further and gets shut down for the year. is our team even with Ehrhoff good enough to make the playoffs missing both the eurotwins? Then we'd be in a situation where we'd have a lottery pick for the first time since its been in existence and it would be Buffalo's.

Unfortunately we're caught in limbo between being a buyer and a seller and generally its smarter to do nothing in that situation. 

Ehrhoff is signed beyond this year though. Getting him makes this team better going forward regardless of how you look it at. Whether we are in limbo right now or not, it would be a great pick up. They can't revolve decisions like these based around what ifs. If we have someone hurt, than we need to get better. Not stand pat and be all "better luck next year". 

Mantha and Mrazek you'd have to think are untouchable. Especially Mantha. But for Sproul or Oulette to be a part of a package for Ehrhoff? No brainer really. We have plenty of kids in the system. 

What you are saying makes sense as far as trading for a rental goes. But that wouldn't be the case here. Ehrhoff is a proven player who can improve this team. Sproul and Oulette are 2 guys who MIGHT improve the team a few years from now. 

#1410 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,434 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 05:50 PM

Realistically, bringing Kesler here would almost require a 3 way trade.  Weiss has no real value right now because of his injuries unless Vancouver decides they don't care if they make the playoffs.  So it'd have to be something where Kesler comes here, a center goes to Vancouver, and the Wings send out younger guys and prospects.  Legwand, Stastny, Gagner, Zajac, Ennis, Dubinsky, and Kadri are possibilities for that.  

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#1411 marcaractac

marcaractac

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,326 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 05:50 PM

Exactly, they traded Schneider and dangled playing time in front of Luongo; now they are screwing with him again. If he were a dog PETA would be all over the Canucks for abuse. I wouldn't blame him if he just held out playing and demanded a trade. He was one of the best goalies in the world and he could be again on another team. 

For sure. I've gained so much respect for him with how he handled it all really

#1412 pucktividi

pucktividi

the usual suspect

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 06:15 PM

Why should we go after another center even if it's Kesler?Yeah Pasha,Z and Weiss have injury problems at the moment,but they will be here next season and there are Helm,Sheahan and Jarnkrok too.I'd rather go after Moulson,who's ufa winger and should cost much less than Kesler.

#1413 nyqvististhefuture

nyqvististhefuture

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 06:29 PM

If the Wings can add a good defenseman, I think they're going to be dangerous.  If they can get Kesler and a defenseman, they'll be one of the better teams.

Ya and they'd only have to give up something like Tatar jarnkrok ouellet mantha and a 1st to get those 2 guys .... But hey it's worth it

#1414 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,434 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 06:43 PM

Ya and they'd only have to give up something like Tatar jarnkrok ouellet mantha and a 1st to get those 2 guys .... But hey it's worth it

Would you trade those guys if it meant winning the Cup this year?

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#1415 brett

brett

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,975 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 06:53 PM

if it makes you happy eklund says wings are in for vanek

only way that makes any sense is if amac is dealt too.

ive heard a lot of bad things about amac do not really want him.

#1416 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,434 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 06:54 PM

It does make me happy because that means the Wings won't get him.  How anyone still pays attention to eklund is beyond me.

#1417 marcaractac

marcaractac

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,326 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 06:58 PM

Would you trade those guys if it meant winning the Cup this year?

The way I see it, with the potential Mantha has, to trade him it has to be a package that gets us a non-rental star in return. You don't give up Mantha for someone like Kesler or Edler. You give up Mantha if you have a shot at a guy like Stamkos or Toews. Someone who can become an integral part of the team going forward for years to come. We have other prospects that can get guys like Kesler if Holland wanted him bad enough.

Wings aren't going to go after a rental

#1418 ShanahanMan

ShanahanMan

DUUUUUUUUH

• Silver Booster
  • 5,652 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 07:00 PM

Sedin looks like he was injured pretty bad tonight. There's no way Vancouver trades Kesler when Sedin is down and the team can't score.

All but certain Edler with his -23 gets moved though.

I HATE JASON WILLIAMS

#1419 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,917 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 07:02 PM

He is easy to trade, but his contract is not.

And I wouldn't mind living his "tortured" life.

#1420 marcaractac

marcaractac

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,326 posts

Posted 02 March 2014 - 07:04 PM

He is easy to trade, but his contract is not.

And I wouldn't mind living his "tortured" life.

Money isn't everything to some people