Photo
* * * * - 5 votes

Trade deadline fast approaching - who should we target?

• Please log in to reply
1869 replies to this topic

#1801 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 09:05 PM

It's more realistic then Holland selling the entire team and hoping he gets Mcdavid.

Saying every team is a few players away is just not accurate, only half the teams make the play offs which means that only half the teams have the chance to contend for the Cup. The wings are in the playoffs right now, 50 % of the league would love to be in the same position we are. Ask fans of the Panthers or Oilers and see if they are happy to continue to pick early.

The Wings haven't had a top pick in a long time and that didn't stop them from drafting Pav, Z, or Lidstrom. They don't need the top pick to Win.

Actually over half the teams make the playoffs, there are 16 spots for 30 teams. And you're right that you don't need a top pick to win, but, the team is suffering from years of not having much talent in the farm system. How about I ask the Pens, or the Blackhawks how they like having some early picks or how about Colorado? 

Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#1802 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,045 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 09:11 PM

After tonight, time to make a decision. Either sell our UFAs, or acquire some help. Because guys are dropping like flies, and our depth is seriously lacking.

#NOMOREKINDL

#1803 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,290 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 09:20 PM

After tonight, time to make a decision. Either sell our UFAs, or acquire some help. Because guys are dropping like flies, and our depth is seriously lacking.

Kick tires, say they will be active in free agency this summer, won't "overpay" for impact players. Go into next season hoping for health. The Holland cycle of making moves.

Edited by GoWings1905, 04 March 2014 - 09:22 PM.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#1804 Nhurdi

Nhurdi

• PipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 09:23 PM

How about I ask the Pens, or the Blackhawks how they like having some early picks or how about Colorado? 

Why not ask Edmonton too. There are teams that have picked early for years and never got out of the basement and perhaps never will.

On a different point, In the playoffs anything can happen. A injury or two can decimate a teams chances. One player getting hot can vastly improve them. Calgary went deep, Edmonton too, who would have though Carolina would win a cup for christ sake?

Edited by Nhurdi, 04 March 2014 - 09:23 PM.

#1805 Shaman

Shaman

• Silver Booster
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 09:26 PM

Why not ask Edmonton too. There are teams that have picked early for years and never got out of the basement and perhaps never will.

On a different point, In the playoffs anything can happen. A injury or two can decimate a teams chances. One player getting hot can vastly improve them. Calgary went deep, Edmonton too, who would have though Carolina would win a cup for christ sake?

Yeah, a lot of them road hot goalies. As for Edmonton it's more their drafting philosophy of taking the best player available and not the best player that fits their needs that has screwed them up so bad.

Im Wasser verbrannt

#1806 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,873 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 09:34 PM

Actually over half the teams make the playoffs, there are 16 spots for 30 teams. And you're right that you don't need a top pick to win, but, the team is suffering from years of not having much talent in the farm system. How about I ask the Pens, or the Blackhawks how they like having some early picks or how about Colorado?

My bad 47.7 percent are jealous of us not 50. We where good while Colorado, Chicago, and the Pens were collecting their picks, would you rather we had sucked alongside them so we could have had those same picks? What you're proposing is nonsensical not to mention highly improbable, and I just can't debate this anymore.

"He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero. Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there." ~ Franzen 

#1807 fat guy in a maltby jersey

fat guy in a maltby jersey

3rd Line Checker

• Restricted
  • PipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 09:39 PM

"who should we target?"

draft picks and prospects, that's who.

this team is going nowhere this season.

#1808 Shaman

Shaman

• Silver Booster
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 09:40 PM

My bad 47.7 percent are jealous of us not 50. We where good while Colorado, Chicago, and the Pens were collecting their picks, would you rather we had sucked alongside them so we could have had those same picks? What you're proposing is nonsensical not to mention highly improbable, and I just can't debate this anymore.

If you're okay with years of what we are seeing this season fine. As I said there are two options, you are debating against one of them.

Holland either needs to make at least 2 trades to address the two biggest holes on this team (top 6 winger and #2-#3 RH D-man) or he has to go into full rebuild. Either way, this 'rebuild on the fly' is not a tenable solution as I keep saying.

Im Wasser verbrannt

#1809 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,045 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 09:40 PM

Well, what's it gonna be Kenny. 3 games this weekend, 2 important eastern conference games. If Helm and Datsyuk aren't good to go, and we don't make a deal, how the f*** can we compete with Andersson on the top line? The guy is a marginal NHL talent, if we were ever 100% healthy he should be up in the press box having a protein bar with Dano and Bert.

#NOMOREKINDL

#1810 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,734 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 09:43 PM

Well, what's it gonna be Kenny. 3 games this weekend, 2 important eastern conference games. If Helm and Datsyuk aren't good to go, and we don't make a deal, how the f*** can we compete with Andersson on the top line? The guy is a marginal NHL talent, if we were ever 100% healthy he should be up in the press box having a protein bar with Dano and Bert.

Andersson isn't an nhl player. Proved it tonight. We can find bottom liners that can PK like him and still pitch in. Andersson is slow as s*** and doesn't do much out there even strength. Even with Franzen and Nyquist he looked bad. 

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#1811 Nhurdi

Nhurdi

• PipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 09:44 PM

Yeah, a lot of them road hot goalies. As for Edmonton it's more their drafting philosophy of taking the best player available and not the best player that fits their needs that has screwed them up so bad.

I agree, I was readying an interesting article awhile back that said something like Franchise players don't get picked outside the top four picks. The chances of finding one outside the top two picks are slim at best.on a good success rate. Everything after that is more luck based. Same article also mentioned how Detroit has been the best franchise of the last decade. Granted the article was a few years old.

#1812 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,045 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 09:46 PM

Andersson isn't an nhl player. Proved it tonight. We can find bottom liners that can PK like him and still pitch in. Andersson is slow as s*** and doesn't do much out there even strength. Even with Franzen and Nyquist he looked bad. 

I can't believe they didn't call up Jarnkrok to play, Babs must have some weird Cleary like love for Andersson to play him so much. The guy looked good for 2 months playing with Nyquist and Brunner because their speed made up for his anchors on his feet. In the offensive zone, he's a dud. Should be in the minors, but the injuries are just... ridiculous.

#NOMOREKINDL

#1813 Dave

Dave

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 09:47 PM

He proved it tonight?? Andersson was setup for failure by babs. He's not a 1st line center, he just isn't. But to say he doesn't belong in the nhl is stupid. He's a good pker, and fits well on a checking line. Not everyone can be a superstar.

#1814 Shaman

Shaman

• Silver Booster
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 09:54 PM

Let me lay it all out in one post so the people who keep trying to argue me can actually understand:

In the NHL today a majority of teams make the playoffs. It is not a huge accomplishment in and of itself to keep making the playoffs. This team will continue to be mediocre if it's goal is only to make the playoffs every year without doing what it takes to be a real contender. The decision needs to be made quickly or it will be made for the Wings, as Datsyuk, and Franzen are both over 35 and Zetterberg's back seems to be getting worse every season. 

In order to be a real contender one of two things need to be done:

#1 If they choose to try to do it before the window closes for Z, D and Mule they must trade some assets to solidify the defense (a #2 or #3 RHD PPQB) and a top 6 winger.

Or

#2 Decide to take a long view and try to develop a team that is built to contend for multiple years by developing youth, getting rid of some of the vets, and stocking up on draft picks/prospects. 

Currently Ken Holland is the king of half measures. In the offseason instead of trying to address the need for a top 6 winger of a top 3 Dman he goes after an oft-injured Weiss, resigns Cleary and doesn't clear any of the bottom 6 logjam. Thus reducing both the Wings chances of contending for a cup, and limiting the spots younger players can have to start developing in the NHL. 

Now if he makes a "hockey trade" for a bottom 6 defender (I would assume this would be the only type of move he'd make, as he has been clear hockey trade means roster player for roster player, no prospects no picks on the table), it may increase the Wings' chances of retaining the #8 spot, but realistically does anyone believe a "hockey trade" makes this team a contender? And if the Wings' aren't a contender why not actually rebuild? Young players since the new CBA are pretty much indentured slaves of the team that drafts them, and they also make great pieces for trades for more established talent. 

So TL:DR goes like this:

The Wings need to commit to an actual strategy, win now, or build for the future. 

Edited by Shaman, 04 March 2014 - 09:56 PM.

Im Wasser verbrannt

#1815 Datsyukian-Deke

Datsyukian-Deke

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 09:57 PM

The sooner we realize Holland isn't going to make a trade the more painless it will be. Holland won't overpay for someone at the deadline and instead wait till July 1st to sign someone for free. Then after realizing no one will sign here, he will resign Bertuzzi and Quincey. Lol

#1816 Hockey13Playa

Hockey13Playa

Here's my card.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,413 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 10:03 PM

The sooner we realize Holland isn't going to make a trade the more painless it will be. Holland won't overpay for someone at the deadline and instead wait till July 1st to sign someone for free. Then after realizing no one will sign here, he will resign Bertuzzi and Quincey. Lol

Gosh that was a tough pill to swallow reading that... sad part is it has a 95% chance of being true.

Posted Image

#1817 barabbas16

barabbas16

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 408 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 10:05 PM

Try asking Edmonton, NY Islanders, Columbus, Atlanta, Florida....

#1818 Shaman

Shaman

• Silver Booster
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 10:08 PM

Try asking Edmonton, NY Islanders, Columbus, Atlanta, Florida....

Columbus has 1 point more than us I believe, Winnipeg is currently in 9th place and could easily end up in the dance.The Islanders were a playoff team last season and were only one point behind Detroit. Finally Florida clinched the Southeast not two seasons ago as top seed.

Edited by Shaman, 04 March 2014 - 10:11 PM.

Im Wasser verbrannt

#1819 cnot19

cnot19

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 10:10 PM

I want someone who is physical and would get after a clowe or Neil
Get me a real fourth line Kenny!

#1820 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,759 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 10:13 PM

I want someone who is physical and would get after a clowe or Neil

RAW_1003_Photo_152.jpg

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.