Photo
* * * * - 5 votes

Trade deadline fast approaching - who should we target?

• Please log in to reply
1869 replies to this topic

#1821 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 10:14 PM

RAW_1003_Photo_152.jpg

He's not very good on skates.

(AtomicPunk @ February 4, 2010 - 12:16AM)

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.

#1822 DannyD

DannyD

Rookie

• Pip
  • 163 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 10:16 PM

Welp I hate being negative but if Helm is going to be out for any length of time we should find someone to unload Alfie on as rental. He could always resign next season if he really likes it in Detroit but I want the guy to have a chance to win a cup. Get a pick, prospect idc. We aren't going anywhere with Pav, Z, Helm, Weiss all hurt. I had faith until Helm went down. Let Alfie get a chance to win a cup and bring Pulk up to see what he's got for the rest of the year. Play the kids and build towards next year because we don't have the ammo to make a big trade with so many guys hurt. 

#1823 Nevermind

Nevermind

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 10:17 PM

RAW_1003_Photo_152.jpg

He's not very good on skates.

Can't be much worse than Quincey.

#1824 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,697 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 10:25 PM

Holland should shut it down for the season if Helm is out over 2 weeks. Sell Quincey at the deadline and bring up a kid to learn the ropes a bit. We end up with a better draft pick as we slip and in the end we start next year the great team we are now - without Q, Bert, Cleary, Sammy of course.

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#1825 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 10:27 PM

If you're okay with years of what we are seeing this season fine. As I said there are two options, you are debating against one of them.

Holland either needs to make at least 2 trades to address the two biggest holes on this team (top 6 winger and #2-#3 RH D-man) or he has to go into full rebuild. Either way, this 'rebuild on the fly' is not a tenable solution as I keep saying.

Your second option I'll agree with, Holland has to upgrade this team not just patch up its holes.

"He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero. Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there." ~ Franzen 

#1826 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 10:33 PM

Your second option I'll agree with, Holland has to upgrade this team not just patch up its holes.

This was the point I was making the whole time, being sick of his half measures. I am ambivalent on which strategy to take. On one hand I hate the idea of suffering through a season or two of them sucking, but on the other hand, I love the idea of young big name talent to build around, a new Yzerman to watch like my dad had.

Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#1827 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 10:34 PM

Welp I hate being negative but if Helm is going to be out for any length of time we should find someone to unload Alfie on as rental. He could always resign next season if he really likes it in Detroit but I want the guy to have a chance to win a cup. Get a pick, prospect idc. We aren't going anywhere with Pav, Z, Helm, Weiss all hurt. I had faith until Helm went down. Let Alfie get a chance to win a cup and bring Pulk up to see what he's got for the rest of the year. Play the kids and build towards next year because we don't have the ammo to make a big trade with so many guys hurt. 

They need a center who can do something offensively, I'd rather see Jarnkrok.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#1828 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 10:48 PM

This was the point I was making the whole time, being sick of his half measures. I am ambivalent on which strategy to take. On one hand I hate the idea of suffering through a season or two of them sucking, but on the other hand, I love the idea of young big name talent to build around, a new Yzerman to watch like my dad had.

Half measures blow, and while I don't agree with your argument I get where you're coming from. But the Wings are on the periphery of being really good and blowing up the team now wouldn't make any sense.

"He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero. Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there." ~ Franzen 

#1829 DannyD

DannyD

Rookie

• Pip
  • 163 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 10:51 PM

They need a center who can do something offensively, I'd rather see Jarnkrok.

Either way. I'd rather bring a kid up and see what they have. Can't see us making the playoffs with all these injuries. Build for the future. Let the kids play and grow. Send Quincey and Kindl to some poor saps for picks and try to get Alfie to a cup caliber team.  Bring up one of the young kids to play D and Jarnkrok or whoever to fill the other role Alfie leaves.

Go ahead and let Pav have surgery so he is 100% for next year along with Z and Weiss.

Nyquist - Sheahan - Franzen

Tatar - Jarnkrok - Jurco

Abby - Andersson - Pulk

Miller - Glendening - Eaves

Kronwall - Big E

Dekeyser - Smith

Lashoff - Oullet 

Looks ugly, but I'd rather watch the kids than Cleary, Sammy or Bertuzzi.

#1830 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,849 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 10:53 PM

A guy like Luke Schenn would help out greatly and I think his asking price won't be as high as Ehrhoff's Other than that looking at the big picture standing pat wouldn't be too bad yeah I could mean missing the playoffs but it also means a better draft pick and a chance to accelerate the rebuild in the McDavid year.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#1831 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 10:56 PM

Either way. I'd rather bring a kid up and see what they have. Can't see us making the playoffs with all these injuries. Build for the future. Let the kids play and grow. Send Quincey and Kindl to some poor saps for picks and try to get Alfie to a cup caliber team.  Bring up one of the young kids to play D and Jarnkrok or whoever to fill the other role Alfie leaves.

Go ahead and let Pav have surgery so he is 100% for next year along with Z and Weiss.

Nyquist - Sheahan - Franzen

Tatar - Jarnkrok - Jurco

Abby - Andersson - Pulk

Miller - Glendening - Eaves

Kronwall - Big E

Dekeyser - Smith

Lashoff - Oullet 

Looks ugly, but I'd rather watch the kids than Cleary, Sammy or Bertuzzi.

2 of those 3 guys are already sitting.  I also don't know what's wrong with Datsyuk's knee, and unless you're on the Wings' medical staff or know someone who is, I doubt you do either, so know the hell knows if it's an injury that needs surgery.

I think that if they call up Jarnkrok and/or make a move to bring in someone, they'll be able to hold onto the playoff spot, which I think is the mandate from ownership.  Hell, even shifting Mule over to center could be enough if Datyuk is going to be back in a few games.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#1832 DannyD

DannyD

Rookie

• Pip
  • 163 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 11:12 PM

2 of those 3 guys are already sitting.  I also don't know what's wrong with Datsyuk's knee, and unless you're on the Wings' medical staff or know someone who is, I doubt you do either, so know the hell knows if it's an injury that needs surgery.

I think that if they call up Jarnkrok and/or make a move to bring in someone, they'll be able to hold onto the playoff spot, which I think is the mandate from ownership.  Hell, even shifting Mule over to center could be enough if Datyuk is going to be back in a few games.

I know they are sitting, but it doesn't mean Babcock won't put them in instead of bringing some kids up from GR.

I don't know what's wrong with Pav's knee but I would assume he needs some sort of surgery or at least a good deal of rest. I feel like he probably needs some sort of surgery but is trying to tough it out for the team in hopes of at least playing a few games. Can you imagine how much easier, yet tough to swallow, Hollands job would be right now if both Pav and Z were out the rest of the season? I don't think we would be talking about a trade at all, if we did it would be more selling than buying, imo.

#1833 e_prime

e_prime

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 11:29 PM

I know they are sitting, but it doesn't mean Babcock won't put them in instead of bringing some kids up from GR.

I don't know what's wrong with Pav's knee but I would assume he needs some sort of surgery or at least a good deal of rest. I feel like he probably needs some sort of surgery but is trying to tough it out for the team in hopes of at least playing a few games. Can you imagine how much easier, yet tough to swallow, Hollands job would be right now if both Pav and Z were out the rest of the season? I don't think we would be talking about a trade at all, if we did it would be more selling than buying, imo.

With our injuries... what exactly are we selling that we aren't all looking to dump/willing to part with anyway?

Kindl, Quincey, Eaves, Andersson, Tootoo?

(sammy... clears... yeah, right!?)

Anyway, like Dickie said:

You can't rule out Dats, Helm, Weiss returning before the playoffs... Z at the playoffs.

Alfie is going nowhere unless he wants to be traded.  Bert isn't ideal, but he's certainly still serviceable.

You take those any/some/all aforementioned expendables, add a prospect and/or picks that we seem to be flush with, and we first upgrade our D.

Say, Ehrhoff and Tom Gilbert.

Now play with those lines.

EDIT:  I know that a lot of this post drags this thread off-topic, but I would like to remind everyone that Ehrhoff and Gilbert would be great targets for Kenny Holland and the DRW.

Edited by e_prime, 04 March 2014 - 11:45 PM.

(AtomicPunk @ February 4, 2010 - 12:16AM)

Imma let you finish, and your cap numbers are all good and all that, but imma let Kenny figure it out. Kenny's cap numbers were the best cap numbers this year.

#1834 nyqvististhefuture

nyqvististhefuture

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts

Posted 04 March 2014 - 11:39 PM

I'd like to see pulkkinen called up with the injuries to datsyuk zetterberg helm weiss it be nice to have someone with a lethal shot to try and help us get Into the post season .... If anything just for 2-3 games see how he does , if the nhl is too much for him now we send him down

I was thinking Franzen played center before right?

Was thinking lines of

Nyquist Franzen jurco

Tatar sheahan pulkkinen

Gives us 2 shooters In the top 2 in mule and pulkkinen .... Or something I can see more happening maybe since we're missing a lot of centers but might be risky cause he's doing good and we don't wanna f*ck it up ..... Call up jarnkrok instead? He plays good 2 way hockey which I'm sure Babcock would love more

Top swedish line of nyquist jarnkrok Franzen ?

Again this would only be short term so try not to blast me too much guys lol

Edited by nyqvististhefuture, 04 March 2014 - 11:40 PM.

#1835 brooklynsour

brooklynsour

Fedorov

• PipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 12:17 AM

Heartbroken, as much as I hate it I have to agree and say Kenny should start preparing for next season, dump some cap and ship out rentals for some picks or maybe a veteran dman, get our young bloods some serious ice time and exp, so going into next year we'll know where we stand with our prospects Get z and Pablo back to 100% and ready to beast next year!!

Edited by brooklynsour, 05 March 2014 - 12:18 AM.

#1836 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,445 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 12:25 AM

It's probably a good thing that Ehrhoff has a long contract. That could drive the price down far enough for Holly to actually make a move

#1837 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,445 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 12:37 AM

Out the gate, I admit I'm a Holland fan. I agree with his long-term conservative approach to the game in the cap era. I share his view on avoiding trades and overpaying. I agree that overall strategy should be quality draft acquisitions. I agree that prospects should be forced into the minors as long as possible.

Where I don't agree is this whole "hockey trade" thing. He's acting old and out dated if he thinks he's going to move the guys he doesn't want (Bertuzzi, Cleary, etc.) for a guy he does want. The reality of the cap era game is it involves moving picks and prospects for the guys you want. In that sense I think he's wrong. If in his position right now, I would still play close to the vest, but I would definitely be chasing a puck moving D-man hard. A trade invloving picks and prospects. I would not be after a high profile guy like Vanek or Kesler though.

#1838 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 12:42 AM

Heartbroken, as much as I hate it I have to agree and say Kenny should start preparing for next season, dump some cap and ship out rentals for some picks or maybe a veteran dman, get our young bloods some serious ice time and exp, so going into next year we'll know where we stand with our prospects
Get z and Pablo back to 100% and ready to beast next year!!

The issue is we don't have any rentals that will fetch anything.

Edited by wings87, 05 March 2014 - 12:43 AM.

#1839 brooklynsour

brooklynsour

Fedorov

• PipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 12:46 AM

For sure package off a pick with one of the vets bert cleary eaves Quincey Samuelson, it sucks cuz nobody really wants who I just named =[ lol.... Unless were getting a solid player on contract for at least next 2 years, I don't think we should trade the first pick
@wings87 Yea lol.... If Kenny only seen this thread haha....

#1840 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 08:42 AM

Oh, well as long as you FEEL that he needs surgery, by all means they should schedule it ASAP.

Babcock has been sitting Cleary every game for quite awhile now.  Once he runs out of other bodies that might change out of necessity.  Samuelsson is "hurt" again so that's not an option.