• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
ash11

Tips on hockey

Rate this topic

hey guys, huge hockey fan, love the wings, but im stuck. I want to join a hockey leauge, im 20 and I played from 6 yrs old to about 16, so i havent played in about 4 years. I would need to buy equipment, I can still skate, and i would need to find my legs and hands again but i want to join a leauge around michigan! any tips, I live in livonia. i would figure that you guys could point me in the right direction

I'm not sure if there are any rinks within MSE near Livonia, or how far you'd be willing to drive, but I play in a league oragnized by them out of Fraser and they cover a pretty decent amount of teams and skill levels over a few different ice rinks. Pretty affordable too.

https://msehockey.com/index.cfm

edit: other than that, I'd just say check out your local rink and i'm sure they have info on adult leagues. and as far as equipment go, if you can find a play it again sports, you can get all your equipment real cheap. all my friends who didn't play when they were younger but just got into hockey have bought used equipment there.

Edited by amato

If you go to play it again sports, watch the prices. Last time I was there the equipment was obviously used, but it was almost as much as brand new gear. Every rink I've been in has had a board with people selling stuff though. If you want to take your time and do it, you can get good used stuff, or just wait until there's a big sale somewhere.

I'm not sure if there are any rinks within MSE near Livonia, or how far you'd be willing to drive, but I play in a league oragnized by them out of Fraser and they cover a pretty decent amount of teams and skill levels over a few different ice rinks. Pretty affordable too.

https://msehockey.com/index.cfm

edit: other than that, I'd just say check out your local rink and i'm sure they have info on adult leagues. and as far as equipment go, if you can find a play it again sports, you can get all your equipment real cheap. all my friends who didn't play when they were younger but just got into hockey have bought used equipment there.

Hey I used to play at Frasier through MSE, then moved to Mt Clemens! My team was the NADS. My friends are still playing but I decided to quit because I started school and wasn't sure I could juggle both.

Ash, there are a lot of leagues around the Livonia area. Some only accept team registrations, but some accept individuals as well.

Here are the leagues I know of that accept individuals. Either they are draft leagues, will place you with teams looking for players, or have sub lists:

www.rspi.net/ Plymouth/Canton area rinks

www.suburbanicefarmingtonhills.com Suburban Ice in Farmington Hills (beginner league)

www.noviicearena.com Novi

www.hna.com Hockey North America (Dearborn, Melvindale, City Sports in Detroit)

There are other leagues that only take full teams:

Livonia, Garden City, Hat Trick Hockey (Canfield/Redford), Farmington Hills...

And plenty of other leagues if you're willing to drive, like Troy, Royal Oak, Hazel Park, Detroit Skating Club in Bloomfield Hills, Kensington Valley in Brighton, MSE in Trenton, Fraser, and Mt. Clemens, Rochester Onyx, Ann Arbor Ice Cube...

Your best bets are to talk to any friends who play in a league and see if they need subs or know of any teams looking for players, and to hit up some of the local rinks for drop-in hockey or "sticks and pucks" and talk to players there.

I play in the Livonia league on Friday nights, it's pretty well-run and competitively balanced, we have a lot of fun!

Good luck, I hope this helps!!