• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Dabura

The Hudler Factor

Rate this topic

So I was talking with a Flames fan. At one point in our conversation he playfully trolled me about how the Flames "stole" Hudler from us, and how his absence will be the end of us. I played along, wink wink, but I slowly realized he was actually semi-serious. Not because he's especially fond of Hudler (though "Happy" has, in fact, been one of the Flames more valuable players), but because of our troubles this season. Shootout woes? Hudler. Goal-scoring woes? Hudler. Second-line center hole? Hudler.

Wouldn't it be something if we miss the playoffs because of our total incompetence in shootouts? Should that come to pass, do we hang the first person who says, "Should've kept Hudler"? Or would he have a point? And, if so, does the universe implode?

I hated Hudler as a Wing. To me, he encapsulated everything that was misguided and wrong about our team. I was glad to see him go. But let's talk about him, knowing full well that Kenny will bring him back, sooner or later.

Do we miss Jiri Hudler?

Hudler would only be one more thing to complain about. Don't miss him at all. The Flames can have him.

It must be pathetic to be a Flames fan, when Hudler is one of the things you puff your chest out about.

Edited by stillwater

No, I don't miss him. He wasn't a good fit here, and was often a detriment to the team due to his small size and getting constantly knocked off the puck by everyone else on the ice.

But hey, Sammy and Quincey were OK here and then left and we brought them back only for them to suck. Maybe it'll be the opposite with Hudler.

I'm with rick on this.

Fil was always one I had high hopes for, I was a little sad to see him go, and never cared for hudler.

I met him when I played for belle tire, he was goofy as hell,and kind of an ass, he wouldn't sign my practice jersey.

And flames fans are crazy.

I was on a flames board lookin to see what they thought of cammaleri and they said jurco, sheahan,aand someone else were fourth borderline 3rd line players.

I liked Hudler, and always thought that he got way too much crap. But, they had Tatar and Nyquist coming, and you only need so many small wingers on your team, so I wasn't really upset that he left.

I couldn't wait to see Filppula leave town. He had one season of over 40 points despite playing in the top 3 or 4 ice time for forwards and I always thought his defense, while pretty good, was overblown by his defenders. Last year he acted like he just plain didn't care.

Hudler could have helped with scoring, but so would any of the players who are currently or have previously been injured for long stretches this season (Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Franzen, Helm, Alfredsson, etc.) Hudler was never over-overwhelmingly good in the shootout either, so I don't see how he is a game-changer there. His skating and defense were both weak, and he never really played much center when he was here if I recall correctly, nor would he now when we're healthy.

I don't really see how Hudler helps us this season. Our problems scoring and with the second-line center position have to do with injuries to players who are better than Hudler (especially how he was when he was here). Our problem in the shootout should be remedied by playing stronger in regulation and OT to close out games before the skills competition. As bleak as things look at times, we are tied in points for the last playoff spot in the East despite missing significant players, subpar goaltending at times, being unable to gain any momentum or chemistry, and all the while during what was bound to be the big transition year we've all been dreading.

Get healthy, get settled down and familiar (read: gain consistent lineup and establish chemistry), and make a push for the playoffs, then anything can happen - as we saw again last season when we went from getting a spot the last day and sticking around 14 games and several OTs against two teams that should have been head-and-shoulders better than us.

EDIT: Sorry, started with the Hudler thread and got sidetracked. The point, however, should be in tact. Of all the things we need to be better, losing Hudler is hardly the cause, nor would it be resolved if he was still here.

Edited by b.shanafan14

I think if we had Hudler back Babcock's head might explode. He'd stick Huds on the third line with Tatar and some center, and they'd be the highest scoring 3rd in the league and Babs would be sooooooooooo pissssssssssssssssed.

Hudler would never have the same role here and ice time that he is receiving in Calgary. Over there he is a top 2 forward. Here he barely cracks the top 6. His success is based around their need for him in Calgary and having no other options.

I do miss the freaky happy face and the humorous photoshop options.

I remember thinking that paying 4 mill a season for him and 5 for fill was way overpayment. Now I think we may have just been spoiled. I know I'd much much rather have hudler than Sammy and tootoo. I always liked fill and I really liked the fill hank huds line.

I just can't stop picturing our roster with those two on it instead of all the garbage that replaced them. But hindsight is 20/20. I just wish fill had found his shot while he was in Detroit.

Don't miss hudler , he was a contributor in our back to back cup finals but was just time to let him go , same as filppula who never became what we hoped he would .....so long to both

Our problems aren't cause we let them go .... Our problems is because we kept bringing back players that had no business ever coming back (Samuelson,cleary,bertuzzi) and always keep delaying bringing in some prospects 1-2 at a time and let them develop here and learn from the veterans while they can

Nyquist and Tatar should of been here last Season and if they were they'd be better players right now and we'd be better off

Edited by nyqvististhefuture

I guess my memory of Hudler is warped. I remember him being a beast in the shootout, spending time as a center, and having a knack for scoring clutch goals that we all wished someone else on our team had scored.

I remember Hudler always leading off in shootouts, missing, but giving Pavs an opportunity to see what the goalie was doing before he shot. As others have already said, Tats is a better, more tenacious version of Huds. Call him Hungry Huds compared to Happy Huds maybe?

I remember Hudler always leading off in shootouts, missing, but giving Pavs an opportunity to see what the goalie was doing before he shot. As others have already said, Tats is a better, more tenacious version of Huds. Call him Hungry Huds compared to Happy Huds maybe?

How bout tenacious T?