• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
cnot19

Hypothetical: What Coach Would You Replace Babcock With?

Rate this topic

Not that Babcock is going anywhere, nor should he, but I think the obvious transition would be to let Jeff Blashill take over. Provided Holland doesn't overload on veterans in free agency, the Red Wings are in a position to really start implementing their prospects on a regular basis next season. I think the youth has mostly been forced on the team lately through injuries rather than by management's choice, but the positive is they have all proven to be NHL players.

If I had to choose someone outside of the organization, it would be Dave Tippett.

Who: Dave Tippett

Why: He's the best coach in hockey.

Agree. The Wings need a different, more positive coaching attitude with all the kids coming up. Babs isn't it, anymore. Don't know why, its a shame, but thats how its played out. Tippett, on the other hand, turned the Yotes locker room around in a matter of days and got a team that had no business being in the playoffs respectably far.

Not that Babcock is going anywhere, nor should he, but I think the obvious transition would be to let Jeff Blashill take over. Provided Holland doesn't overload on veterans in free agency, the Red Wings are in a position to really start implementing their prospects on a regular basis next season. I think the youth has mostly been forced on the team lately through injuries rather than by management's choice, but the positive is they have all proven to be NHL players.

If I had to choose someone outside of the organization, it would be Dave Tippett.

If I have to choose someone, Jeff Blashill. He's like Mike Babcock's hipper, younger brother. Same sensibilities, exact same voice, teaches the same basic systems in Grand Rapids, is obviously familiar with the youth.

I like Blash, but I think this would only work if he and Holland were on the same page. KH would have to dump the old dead weight, and NOT SIGN ANYMORE, with a good commitment to youth. Then, Blashill would be a good choice. But you know Holland, he loves em old.

I like players coaches even though they don't usually last long they do get a few good years out of their players after having a hard guy like Babcock I'd take a real likeable motivator Ted Nolan would be that guy.

It's funny that the overrating of prospects even applies to coaching. :P

If the Wings had to replace Babcock, I'd go with Sutter or Tippet probably.

Tippet does a lot with relatively little. It'll be interesting to see how he does if he ever gets a top tier roster. Some coaches can make a mediocre team good but can't get them to the top.

It's funny that the overrating of prospects even applies to coaching. :P

If the Wings had to replace Babcock, I'd go with Sutter or Tippet probably.

Tippet does a lot with relatively little. It'll be interesting to see how he does if he ever gets a top tier roster. Some coaches can make a mediocre team good but can't get them to the top.

I don't think people believe Blashill is the best coach out there but more that he's best for the job.

He's had the fortune of leading our next generation of Wings to a championship and is very familiar with our players.

That's all on top of the fact that he's an absolute class act and very "Babcockian".

Babcock>Tippett>Blashill (For this next generation of Wings)

I dont see Blash lasting that long. Unless Babs is gone in the next year or two I see someone scooping up Blash.

His man love for Cleary notwithstanding, I think Babcock is one of the best coaches in the NHL right now. That said, every coach either gets fired or retires at some point, and 9 years with one team is an eternity. It may be time for a new voice, certainly after very much longer. It wouldn't surprise me if his contract wasn't extended after next season and they go in a new direction.

His man love for Cleary notwithstanding, I think Babcock is one of the best coaches in the NHL right now. That said, every coach either gets fired or retires at some point, and 9 years with one team is an eternity. It may be time for a new voice, certainly after very much longer. It wouldn't surprise me if his contract wasn't extended after next season and they go in a new direction.

I think the love for Babs gets a little overblown sometimes. Is he one of the better coaches in the league? Yes. But it's crazy how Iron Mike has hoodwinked everyone. He put a good year together with Anaheim and there really wasn't much to work with...so kudos to him for that. Then he came to Detroit and walked onto a team with talent like Yzerman, Shanahan, Osgood, Hasek, Draper, Maltby, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Franzen, Lidstrom, Rafalski, Kronwall, and eventually Hossa. If he didn't have a Cup and a bunch of wins with that kind of talent he'd be the worst coach in the history of professional coaching.

It's not unlike what Quenneville adopted, except maybe his team was a little less proven. Many deride Q for adopting his team, but conveniently overlook the fact that

Edited by kipwinger

Claude Julien, to me he and Babs are the best two coaches in the game right now.

How Tippett is included in that list is beyond me.

I know the eye test!

TIppett has won next to nothing, he is a cute story, but IMO he is a top 10 coach, but far from best in the game.

Claude Julien, to me he and Babs are the best two coaches in the game right now.

How Tippett is included in that list is beyond me.

I know the eye test!

TIppett has won next to nothing, he is a cute story, but IMO he is a top 10 coach, but far from best in the game.

Dave Tippett consistently produces playoff quality teams with almost nothing to work with. Look at my post above. The VAST majority of Mike Babcock's success came with that kind of talent. Babs came to Detroit in 2005 and walked onto a team that had four 80 point players. He coached that team to a first round loss by the way.

Edit: For accuracy, Mike Modano had 85 pts. in 2003, and Mike Ribiero had 83 in 2008. That's it. Twice in his coaching career has Tippett had that kind of player and he still takes his teams to the playoffs consistently.

Edit Edit: Both Babs and Tippett became head coaches during the 2002-2003 season. Since then Babs has 445 regular season wins. Tippett has 427. Not too shabby with a tenth the talent level, budget, or free agent allure.

Edited by kipwinger

Really, Another replace the coach thread?!

Any who, The answer to this question is very easy... a no brainer really. The ONLY person suitable to replace Babcock is ME! No one else anywhere is more suitable. Watch out Babs... once word gets out your a goner! Then you will see me take this very same team to the Stanley Cup parade... and the Super Bowl parade... and what ever parade they are having this year for the Tranna Maple Leafs!!!

Really, Another replace the coach thread?!

Any who, The answer to this question is very easy... a no brainer really. The ONLY person suitable to replace Babcock is ME! No one else anywhere is more suitable. Watch out Babs... once word gets out your a goner! Then you will see me take this very same team to the Stanley Cup parade... and the Super Bowl parade... and what ever parade they are having this year for the Tranna Maple Leafs!!!

Well played.

Gordon Bombay no questions asked. He just has a way at helping players maximize their potential...

He's good, but I'd rather have Coach Reilly. Taught the Minnesota Miracle man everything he knows. He tells it like it is and teaches kids to go for the dubya. It aint worth winning if you can win big.

But seriously, I can't picture anyone I'd rather have behind the bench over Babs. Maybe stick Chelios back there as an assistant to help light a fire under some of these guys. Teach them how to play with a bit of an attitude, and maybe make him condition them.

Edited by BadgerBob

I like Blash, but I think this would only work if he and Holland were on the same page. KH would have to dump the old dead weight, and NOT SIGN ANYMORE, with a good commitment to youth. Then, Blashill would be a good choice. But you know Holland, he loves em old.

Well, I think if Blashill were to be brought in, it would ostensibly be for what I think we should call "The John Cooper Effect." The Lightning are doing as well as they are largely because Cooper is familiar with the youth and knows how to, um, best use them. (They being a young, farm-fed team.) That's the example you point to to sell the idea. That's the template you follow, or at least reference here and there. It seems like a natural progression from all of Holland's talk about How You Have to Do Things in the Salary Cap Era (draft well, develop well, build from within). The irony, of course, is that Babcock came in as a hip, young, prodigious go-getter. Now we consider him a borderline senile windbag. That's professional sports for ya, I guess.

On a related note - I've mentioned this before in a different thread, but I think it's interesting enough to justify bringing it up again (and again and again):

The Craig MacTavish Interview, Part 2 [Edmonton Journal]

MacTavish: The GM and the coach, it’s always a difficult relationship because there are always two different thoughts. There’s winning and there’s small picture and big picture. The coach is trying to win the next game. The manager is trying to win the Stanley Cup. He’s got a bigger picture view, so instead of having guys that don’t necessarily have much upside, but they can execute, those would be the guys the coach would want in. The manager would want guys that aren’t quite at the level of these other guys, but they have significant upside. It’s just growth potential.

Tippet is a great coach and easily one of the best in the league, but he often stated that he doesn't want big market pressure . It's simple amazing with the can do with a limited payroll his system just works.

What Cooper has done with the Lightning is also just wow, even without Stamkos this team is still in the playoff race and Mr. St. Luis is playing the hockey of his career.