Photo
- - - - -

Hypothetical: What Coach Would You Replace Babcock With?

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#21 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,089 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 05:05 PM

If I have to choose someone, Jeff Blashill. He's like Mike Babcock's hipper, younger brother. Same sensibilities, exact same voice, teaches the same basic systems in Grand Rapids, is obviously familiar with the youth.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#22 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,759 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 05:10 PM

Aaron Downey.

He was the last person to bring us a Cup, so a natural choice.  

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#23 dropkickshanahans

dropkickshanahans

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 05:13 PM

If we're talking any coach in the league then I'd say either Trotz or Tippett. I've always felt they were up there as best in the league for as little talent they had to work with.

#24 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,302 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 05:20 PM

The title was misleading, the first thing I thought when reading it was "Babcock got fired?". I edited it to better reflect the topic of the thread. 

Anyway, i'd pull Scotty Bowman out of retirement and make him coach again. Best to ever do it.

I highly doubt he would ever do that, unfortunately

1. He probably doesn't want/need that kind of stress anymore, and probably can't handdle it

2. He is enjoying his sons success in Chicago

3. once again, Chicago...

#25 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,045 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 05:28 PM

After seeing what Jon Cooper has done with the Lightning, and before that dominating in the AHL, I'm going to go with Blashill. He's very Babs like but I get the vibe players like him more and he's had success everywhere he's gone. That's the kind of guy I'd like to see coach the Wings if Babs should leave.

#NOMOREKINDL

#26 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,289 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 05:33 PM

Not that Babcock is going anywhere, nor should he, but I think the obvious transition would be to let Jeff Blashill take over. Provided Holland doesn't overload on veterans in free agency, the Red Wings are in a position to really start implementing their prospects on a regular basis next season. I think the youth has mostly been forced on the team lately through injuries rather than by management's choice, but the positive is they have all proven to be NHL players. 

If I had to choose someone outside of the organization, it would be Dave Tippett. 

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#27 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,089 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 06:10 PM

I love Hitchcock, but I feel like he'd be a spectacularly bad fit for this team.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#28 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 07:15 PM

Who:  Dave Tippett

Why:  He's the best coach in hockey.

Agree. The Wings need a different, more positive coaching attitude with all the kids coming up. Babs isn't it, anymore. Don't know why, its a shame, but thats how its played out. Tippett, on the other hand, turned the Yotes locker room around in a matter of days and got a team that had no business being in the playoffs respectably far.

Not that Babcock is going anywhere, nor should he, but I think the obvious transition would be to let Jeff Blashill take over. Provided Holland doesn't overload on veterans in free agency, the Red Wings are in a position to really start implementing their prospects on a regular basis next season. I think the youth has mostly been forced on the team lately through injuries rather than by management's choice, but the positive is they have all proven to be NHL players. 

If I had to choose someone outside of the organization, it would be Dave Tippett. 

If I have to choose someone, Jeff Blashill. He's like Mike Babcock's hipper, younger brother. Same sensibilities, exact same voice, teaches the same basic systems in Grand Rapids, is obviously familiar with the youth.

I like Blash, but I think this would only work if he and Holland were on the same page. KH would have to dump the old dead weight, and NOT SIGN ANYMORE, with a good commitment to youth. Then, Blashill would be a good choice. But you know Holland, he loves em old.

#29 shoe

shoe

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 08:15 PM

I like players coaches even though they don't usually last long they do get a few good years out of their players after having a hard guy like Babcock I'd take a real likeable motivator Ted Nolan would be that guy.

#30 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 09:11 PM

Blashill. BTW Babcock only has 1 more year left on his contract. Does he extend?

#31 CMatt89

CMatt89

The REAL great one...

• PipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 10:24 PM

Dan bylsma. But, id rather keep babcock and fire the team.

#32 PumpkinEscobar

PumpkinEscobar

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 464 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 10:34 PM

Blashill

#33 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,948 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 11:49 PM

It's funny that the overrating of prospects even applies to coaching.  :P

If the Wings had to replace Babcock, I'd go with Sutter or Tippet probably. 

Tippet does a lot with relatively little.  It'll be interesting to see how he does if he ever gets a top tier roster.  Some coaches can make a mediocre team good but can't get them to the top.

#34 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,784 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 12:54 AM

It's funny that the overrating of prospects even applies to coaching.  :P

If the Wings had to replace Babcock, I'd go with Sutter or Tippet probably. 

Tippet does a lot with relatively little.  It'll be interesting to see how he does if he ever gets a top tier roster.  Some coaches can make a mediocre team good but can't get them to the top.

I don't think people believe Blashill is the best coach out there but more that he's best for the job.

He's had the fortune of leading our next generation of Wings to a championship and is very familiar with our players.

That's all on top of the fact that he's an absolute class act and very "Babcockian".

Babcock>Tippett>Blashill (For this next generation of Wings)

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#35 PaZel

PaZel

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 12:55 AM

Gordon Bombay no questions asked. He just has a way at helping players maximize their potential...

"I didn't know the draft was in alphabetical order." - Henrik Zetterberg

#36 RusDRW

RusDRW

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 01:31 AM

But, id rather keep babcock and fire the team.

This.

Sweet. This dude was brought here for one reason, to punch people in the head - every other thing that he can do, other Wings can do better. I like that we have a head-puncher. The league has other, better head-punchers, but this one is ours. Better than nothing. Good work, Kenny!

© mikah

#37 DRAPES RULES

DRAPES RULES

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 03:09 AM

Reg Dunlop !

This is "Katie Bar The Door Type of Hockey" -Mickey Redman

"It's only Rock and Roll, But I like it "- Mick Jagger

"DAVE IS A KILLER! "- The Hanson Brotherswinggirl.jpg

#38 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,967 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 06:19 AM

Cooper or Blashill

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#39 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,587 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 07:17 AM

I'd love Sutter, just for the hilarity of him trolling the media

Which one?

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#40 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,587 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 07:23 AM

I've always had a deep respect for Pat Quinn; an 'Old Time' Dman from the 1960's, a very good coach everywhere he went, has international experience, has earned his law degree, and from what I recall - he enjoys his whiskey/whisky, and cigars.

If it weren't for his age - I'd want Pat Quinn.

'Evolution' created by Offsides