Photo
- - - - -

Hypothetical: What Coach Would You Replace Babcock With?

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#41 Andy Pred 48

Andy Pred 48

Coming soon,"the slovak line" Marek and 2 Toms!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,865 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 07:49 AM

Blashill is being groomed for it, bur how about John Torchetti with Chelios and Bertuzzi as his co/coaches

Edited by Andy Pred 48, 31 January 2014 - 09:00 AM.

"What are you guys doing?" Reggie Dunlop
"Putting on the foil coach" Jeff Hanson
"Yeah, every game, you want some coach?" Steve Hanson
"Er, no. No thanks guys." Reggie Dunlop
"Make sure they don't leave the bench!" Reggie Dunlop.

#42 Dominator2005

Dominator2005

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,264 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 08:14 AM

Tippett
"Some guys dream about scoring goals, or making big saves... I swear to God I dream about kicking ass in a hockey fight - no other way to say it than I love to do it, its who I am"... Brian McGrattan

#43 GoalieManPat

GoalieManPat

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,371 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 08:55 AM

Blashill is being groomed for it , but how about John Torchetti with Chris Celios and Todd Bertuzzi as the ass coaches

I dont see Blash lasting that long. Unless Babs is gone in the next year or two I see someone scooping up Blash.

#44 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 09:12 AM

I dont see Blash lasting that long. Unless Babs is gone in the next year or two I see someone scooping up Blash.

His man love for Cleary notwithstanding, I think Babcock is one of the best coaches in the NHL right now.  That said, every coach either gets fired or retires at some point, and 9 years with one team is an eternity.  It may be time for a new voice, certainly after very much longer.  It wouldn't surprise me if his contract wasn't extended after next season and they go in a new direction.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#45 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,972 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 09:38 AM

His man love for Cleary notwithstanding, I think Babcock is one of the best coaches in the NHL right now.  That said, every coach either gets fired or retires at some point, and 9 years with one team is an eternity.  It may be time for a new voice, certainly after very much longer.  It wouldn't surprise me if his contract wasn't extended after next season and they go in a new direction.

I think the love for Babs gets a little overblown sometimes.  Is he one of the better coaches in the league?  Yes.  But it's crazy how Iron Mike has hoodwinked everyone.  He put a good year together with Anaheim and there really wasn't much to work with...so kudos to him for that.  Then he came to Detroit and walked onto a team with talent like Yzerman, Shanahan, Osgood, Hasek, Draper, Maltby, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Franzen, Lidstrom, Rafalski, Kronwall, and eventually Hossa.  If he didn't have a Cup and a bunch of wins with that kind of talent he'd be the worst coach in the history of professional coaching.

It's not unlike what Quenneville adopted, except maybe his team was a little less proven.  Many deride Q for adopting his team, but conveniently overlook the fact that

Edited by kipwinger, 31 January 2014 - 09:49 AM.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#46 Opie

Opie

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,419 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 09:39 AM

Claude Julien, to me he and Babs are the best two coaches in the game right now.

How Tippett is included in that list is beyond me.

I know the eye test!

TIppett has won next to nothing, he is a cute story, but IMO he is a top 10 coach, but far from best in the game.

"The more I know about people - the better I like my dog." - Mark Twain

"A wise man once told me, ‘Don’t argue with fools. Cause people from a distance can’t tell who is who'." Jay Z, Takeover

"When I was looking for a captain, I wanted a guy with the Red Wings crest tattooed on his chest," said former Detroit coach Jacques Demers, who named Yzerman captain in 1986. "Steve Yzerman was that guy."

“Told him if he wasn't ultra-competitive he couldn't come here. If he didn't bring it every day he couldn't come here, because he was going to hate it if he didn't, dislike the coach and dislike playing here.
“It's real straightforward. If you don't do it right, you're not happy here." Babcock

#47 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,972 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 09:45 AM

Claude Julien, to me he and Babs are the best two coaches in the game right now.

How Tippett is included in that list is beyond me.

I know the eye test!

TIppett has won next to nothing, he is a cute story, but IMO he is a top 10 coach, but far from best in the game.

Dave Tippett consistently produces playoff quality teams with almost nothing to work with.  Look at my post above.  The VAST majority of Mike Babcock's success came with that kind of talent.  Babs came to Detroit in 2005 and walked onto a team that had four 80 point players.  He coached that team to a first round loss by the way.

Edit:  For accuracy, Mike Modano had 85 pts. in 2003, and Mike Ribiero had 83 in 2008.  That's it.  Twice in his coaching career has Tippett had that kind of player and he still takes his teams to the playoffs consistently.

Edit Edit:  Both Babs and Tippett became head coaches during the 2002-2003 season.  Since then Babs has 445 regular season wins.  Tippett has 427.  Not too shabby with a tenth the talent level, budget, or free agent allure. 

Edited by kipwinger, 31 January 2014 - 10:03 AM.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

#48 The Secret

The Secret

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 10:16 AM

Really, Another replace the coach thread?!

Any who, The answer to this question is very easy... a no brainer really. The ONLY person suitable to replace Babcock is ME! No one else anywhere is more suitable. Watch out Babs... once word gets out your a goner! Then you will see me take this very same team to the Stanley Cup parade... and the Super Bowl parade... and what ever parade they are having this year for the Tranna Maple Leafs!!!

#49 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,972 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 10:17 AM

Really, Another replace the coach thread?!

Any who, The answer to this question is very easy... a no brainer really. The ONLY person suitable to replace Babcock is ME! No one else anywhere is more suitable. Watch out Babs... once word gets out your a goner! Then you will see me take this very same team to the Stanley Cup parade... and the Super Bowl parade... and what ever parade they are having this year for the Tranna Maple Leafs!!!

Well played.

#50 BadgerBob

BadgerBob

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 11:09 AM

Gordon Bombay no questions asked. He just has a way at helping players maximize their potential...

He's good, but I'd rather have Coach Reilly. Taught the Minnesota Miracle man everything he knows. He tells it like it is and teaches kids to go for the dubya. It aint worth winning if you can win big.

But seriously, I can't picture anyone I'd rather have behind the bench over Babs. Maybe stick Chelios back there as an assistant to help light a fire under some of these guys. Teach them how to play with a bit of an attitude, and maybe make him condition them.

Edited by BadgerBob, 31 January 2014 - 11:11 AM.

#51 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,094 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 11:38 AM

I like Blash, but I think this would only work if he and Holland were on the same page. KH would have to dump the old dead weight, and NOT SIGN ANYMORE, with a good commitment to youth. Then, Blashill would be a good choice. But you know Holland, he loves em old.

Well, I think if Blashill were to be brought in, it would ostensibly be for what I think we should call "The John Cooper Effect." The Lightning are doing as well as they are largely because Cooper is familiar with the youth and knows how to, um, best use them. (They being a young, farm-fed team.) That's the example you point to to sell the idea. That's the template you follow, or at least reference here and there. It seems like a natural progression from all of Holland's talk about How You Have to Do Things in the Salary Cap Era (draft well, develop well, build from within). The irony, of course, is that Babcock came in as a hip, young, prodigious go-getter. Now we consider him a borderline senile windbag. That's professional sports for ya, I guess.

On a related note - I've mentioned this before in a different thread, but I think it's interesting enough to justify bringing it up again (and again and again):

The Craig MacTavish Interview, Part 2 [Edmonton Journal]

MacTavish: The GM and the coach, it’s always a difficult relationship because there are always two different thoughts. There’s winning and there’s small picture and big picture. The coach is trying to win the next game. The manager is trying to win the Stanley Cup. He’s got a bigger picture view, so instead of having guys that don’t necessarily have much upside, but they can execute, those would be the guys the coach would want in. The manager would want guys that aren’t quite at the level of these other guys, but they have significant upside. It’s just growth potential.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#52 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,150 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 11:41 AM

Tippet is a great coach and easily one of the best in the league, but he often stated that he doesn't want big market pressure . It's simple amazing with the can do with a limited payroll his system just works.

What Cooper has done with the Lightning is also just wow, even without Stamkos this team is still in the playoff race and Mr. St. Luis is playing the hockey of his career.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#53 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,094 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 11:47 AM

That's my fear, and a big reason why I think he's going to get serious consideration.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#54 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,150 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 11:59 AM

One thing to keep in mind:

Babcock may not even want to be back, he knows teams will be lining up for his services. if Bylsma fails again the guy could be coaching Crosby, Malkin or another team on the rise.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#55 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 12:03 PM

I think the love for Babs gets a little overblown sometimes.  Is he one of the better coaches in the league?  Yes.  But it's crazy how Iron Mike has hoodwinked everyone.  He put a good year together with Anaheim and there really wasn't much to work with...so kudos to him for that.  Then he came to Detroit and walked onto a team with talent like Yzerman, Shanahan, Osgood, Hasek, Draper, Maltby, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Franzen, Lidstrom, Rafalski, Kronwall, and eventually Hossa.  If he didn't have a Cup and a bunch of wins with that kind of talent he'd be the worst coach in the history of professional coaching.

It's not unlike what Quenneville adopted, except maybe his team was a little less proven.  Many deride Q for adopting his team, but conveniently overlook the fact that

It still takes a good coach to win, or the Wings would have had a Cup with Lewis.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#56 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 12:03 PM

Gordon Bombay no questions asked. He just has a way at helping players maximize their potential...

nah, i vote Wolf Stansson. he doesn't take s*** from anybody.

it's a shame they had to lose to the pesky ducks after how prepared they were....

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#57 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 12:06 PM

Coach Chadwick.  If he could teach Dean Youngblood how to stand up for himself, he can do anything.  Maybe he can get heaver to be the backup goalie and Racki for the 4th line winger spot too.

#58 LAWings

LAWings

Rookie

• Pip
  • 161 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 12:20 PM

Jeff Blashill.  He has an amazing record of taking young teams to championships.  He also spent time as a Wings assistant coach before being sent down to Grand Rapids where he won the Cup.

http://en.wikipedia....i/Jeff_Blashill

2 weeks ago Babcock said he talks to Blashill every day because he knows the kids better then Babs. 

I think Babs only knows how to coach a team that is loaded with talent and not a rebuilding team.  I think he's clueless how to utilize young players, whatever he said to them after the first period with Philly demoralized those kids.

We need change, Blashill is the answer.

#59 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,077 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 12:30 PM

Which one?

darrylpeace.png

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#60 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,972 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 12:33 PM

It still takes a good coach to win, or the Wings would have had a Cup with Lewis.

Right, but all that proves is that Babcock is better than Lewis.  I wouldn't argue that.  I'm just saying he's done a good amount of winning with a freakishly talented lineup.  Show me a guy that wins almost as much, with FAR less talented lineups and I'll show you a better coach.  Babs is good, Tippett is better.