Photo
- - - - -

Hypothetical: What Coach Would You Replace Babcock With?

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#61 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 12:44 PM

Right, but all that proves is that Babcock is better than Lewis.  I wouldn't argue that.  I'm just saying he's done a good amount of winning with a freakishly talented lineup.  Show me a guy that wins almost as much, with FAR less talented lineups and I'll show you a better coach.  Babs is good, Tippett is better.

He has won at every level he's coached.  This isn't some guy who was an average junior or minor league coach or spent 15 years as an assistant somewhere and got a job because the team's he was an assistant on were winning.  I think the real issue here is that he's been in Detroit for 9 years.  Babcock has said it himself, after awhile the coach starts sounding like Charlie Brown's teacher.  Wah wah, wah waaah wah wah.  Trotz is the only coach who has been with their team longer, and with all the turnover the Preds have had, the players don't get time to tune him out.  the next longest is Julien, who started in Boston 2 years after Babcock was hired.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#62 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,510 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 12:52 PM

He has won at every level he's coached.  This isn't some guy who was an average junior or minor league coach or spent 15 years as an assistant somewhere and got a job because the team's he was an assistant on were winning.  I think the real issue here is that he's been in Detroit for 9 years.  Babcock has said it himself, after awhile the coach starts sounding like Charlie Brown's teacher.  Wah wah, wah waaah wah wah.  Trotz is the only coach who has been with their team longer, and with all the turnover the Preds have had, the players don't get time to tune him out.  the next longest is Julien, who started in Boston 2 years after Babcock was hired.

I don't think I'm being clear.  I don't want Babcock fired.  As I stated before, he's one of the better coaches in the league and every coach who's as good or better is locked up somewhere else.  I definitely didn't want to imply that he should be fired...he shouldn't.

My previous posts were 1) A response to the hypothetical "what if" question posed in the title; 2) An attempt to explain why I don't think Babs is THE BEST coach. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#63 mjtm77

mjtm77

mjtm77

• PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 04:11 PM

babs has s*** to work with and is doing decent right now. If he wants to stay he will be extended with the redwings. Simple as that.

hypothetically speaking prob hitchkock for regular season and Julien for playoffs   

Edited by mjtm77, 31 January 2014 - 04:12 PM.

Posted Image

#64 stillwater

stillwater

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 04:34 PM

If there were better players to coach, it wouldn't matter all that much.

#65 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,065 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 04:45 PM

Reality: Jim Blashill

Hypothetically: Kirk Gibson

#66 dropkickshanahans

dropkickshanahans

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 05:03 PM

If Blashill ended up being the next head coach, I wonder if the players would continue to tune him out since he sounds exactly like Babcock.  :tounge:

#67 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,065 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 06:00 PM

While Babcock obviously has many great coaching qualities, I think Blashill is actually a better leader and may be smarter.

In a Griffin's Calder Cup video, Blashill stands at the podium giving the team credit for "waking up every morning since October and making a conscious decision to be great. You either decide to be great, or you make decisions that move you away from greatness. And in the dog days of February and March, these guys still woke up every morning and make a decision to commit to greatness, and it paid off" ,

He gives the team credit for it, but he's the one who told them that is what it will take to win the Cup. And they followed him and played their hearts out.

Babs says things like, "Are we a good enough team to play that brand of hockey? I don't know, you tell me."
" these guys are all out, so don't talk about them. Talk about the guys who are in. Now which one of these guys are we going to slot into that spot...I don't know, uh, how bout him, yeah, there we go, decision made, let's move on."

I just think Babs should have won atleast two more Cups with those Red Wing teams.

#68 martinezsvsu

martinezsvsu

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 06:21 PM

blashill.

#69 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,024 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 09:08 PM

Have there been any equivalents to "Pete Carroll" in the NHL? - a non traditional coach that laughs it up and is very friendly with the players? I think part of his success is the players want to play for him and like him as a human. 

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#70 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,086 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 04:56 AM

Wait... Blashil won a championship in the minors?

Fire Babs, hire blas NOW.

Why is illitch so stupid?

#71 mtuhockey7

mtuhockey7

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 05:09 AM

Doug Glatt.  He will instill some toughness in this team so that we don't get manhandled by Boston's physical play in the Eastern Conference playoffs.

#72 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,086 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 05:17 AM

Doug Glatt.  He will instill some toughness in this team so that we don't get manhandled by Boston's physical play in the Eastern Conference playoffs.

That will only work if we re-sign Lilja to shut down the easterns various superstars

Lebda anyone?

#73 Red Crazy

Red Crazy

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 639 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 10:07 AM

It take Todd McLellan from the Sharks. Wings should have never let him go.