Photo
- - - - -

Would you be ok with this roster?

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

Poll: Would you be ok with no free agent signings?

This is a public poll. Other members will be able to see which options you chose

If the Wings replace their free agents with rookies, would you be ok?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,094 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 01:04 PM

One big concern I have, Dickie, is that big, gaping, Alfredsson-shaped hole. We don't even try to make up for that lost production?

Don't Toews me, bro!

#22 stillwater

stillwater

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 01:16 PM

I voted no, the simple reason being, although I've enjoyed watching the kids play and understand there's more on the way ... I'm not convinced that the group is capable of winning Stanley Cups, and frankly, that's the goal.

I'd like to see them unload some of the younger guys in the organization for proven producers or guys that are on the cusp of that. It's a dream, I know ... but some of these teams that are headed nowhere have some decent players who may be better off with a change of scenery. I won't list the players I'd target here, that would only stand to hijack the thread.

Edited by stillwater, 31 January 2014 - 01:17 PM.

#23 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,560 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 01:30 PM

I look at it this way.  The kids COULD be enough and could be great. Or they could continue to develop normally and not really hit their prime for a few more years.

Now, if we go out and sign some top players, we're set.  And then if the kids do develop, we'd be unstoppable.  I choose the second option.

Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#24 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 01:43 PM

One big concern I have, Dickie, is that big, gaping, Alfredsson-shaped hole. We don't even try to make up for that lost production?

Alfredsson retires, Vanek and Gaborik sign before hitting the market, and people go nuts with the next tier of guys and hand out 7 year high salary deals to Grabovski, Stastny, etc.  Wings are left with guys like Boyes to choose from.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#25 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 02:09 PM

I actually think Zidlicky would be a good fit here. I'm sure an old, undersized, offensive-minded Euro wouldn't be popular, but he's still an effective player who fills one of our needs.

#26 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,142 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 02:26 PM

I actually think Zidlicky would be a good fit here. I'm sure an old, undersized, offensive-minded Euro wouldn't be popular, but he's still an effective player who fills one of our needs.

Yes. And I can totally see Holland signing someone in this mold to a one year Gonchar-type deal. Same goes for a forward.

Stop gaps that come off the books when the kids are ready.

"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#27 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,826 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 02:46 PM

An improvement over the current roster (mostly by subtraction), but still too soft a lineup.  

And they'd still have trouble making the playoffs, especially when the annual injury bug hits.  

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#28 joshy207

joshy207

Black Ace

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 02:58 PM

Yes. And I can totally see Holland signing someone in this mold to a one year Gonchar-type deal. Same goes for a forward.

Stop gaps that come off the books when the kids are ready.

...like Cleary, Samuelsson, Bertuzzi, etc?  If the last 2 seasons have shown us anything at all, it's that the kids are ready.  Or at least close enough that they can be brought up and play meaningful minutes.

#29 PumpkinEscobar

PumpkinEscobar

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 464 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 03:02 PM

Wings need to be very selective when it comes to free agents the next couple years

#30 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,796 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 03:05 PM

I think if we can't obtain Vanek/Callahan/Moulson/Girardi AKA special players in UFA then we should just promote our youth. We might as well develop our prospects if we are bringing in middle level players. Otherwise get one/some of these special UFAs and try to make a cup run.

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#31 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,142 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 03:08 PM

...like Cleary, Samuelsson, Bertuzzi, etc?  If the last 2 seasons have shown us anything at all, it's that the kids are ready.  Or at least close enough that they can be brought up and play meaningful minutes.

I'm not talking about guys that should have retired two years ago.

I'm referring to guys like Dan Boyle, Kimmo Timonen, or (heaven forbid) Jagr.

Guys that can still play, willinging to sign a one year deal.

Plus this year's mess was due to cap space. The Wings will have plenty next year.

Also, I'm not saying that I want this, just that Kenny might do it.

Wings need to be very selective when it comes to free agents the next couple years

Agreed.

"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#32 BadgerBob

BadgerBob

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 03:26 PM

IF Kenny decides he still has an itch to sign some old farts, I really hope it's these two. Otherwise no more grandpas on the team.

#33 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 10:41 PM

DD you raise some good questions. Far more than you realize.

1. Do I think the roster you posted is going to be close to our roster on opening day? yes I do. 2-3 differences but very close.

2. Do I think the roster you provided makes more sense than this years roster? yes I do. Spending money of old broken down guys just to spend money is stupid.

3. Do I like the roster posted? no. In fact I think that is the lease talented roster I have seen by the RW's in about 30 years. It really isn't very good. Maybe 90 points.

4. Do I think we need to go young right now? yes I do. yes I fully understand that may break the streak.

#34 wings4thecup06

wings4thecup06

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 930 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 05:16 AM

I voted no for the following:

1) No Alfredsson. I find it hard to imagine the Wings would let him walk/he wouldn't want to come back for another season

2) Glendening should be in that lineup. 

3) I'm starting to feel that there isn't a place for Andersson in this lineup. I'm struggling to fight through the fog of our bottom 6 players and wonder whether its worth shipping him elsewhere and letting the kids play. 

4) Not enough grit either for my liking. Needs a tough guy/power forward in there that can score a little and get his nose dirty.

5) I'm overly concerned about Mule - you've seen how long guys have been out with post concussion syndrome, and how will it affect his game? Will he shy away from contact completely in fear of getting hurt again? 

6) I said this to myself at the time, and I hope I'm wrong, but I still don't like the Weiss deal. Hernias are a ***** I know, and if that's brought him down this year then I'm willing to wait until we have a proper assessment of him. But my gut feeling was this guy was too small and hasn't shown enough to warrant that kind of contract. 

Besides that I'm happy.  :lol:

EDIT: regarding Andersson, I know he's relatively young, but I just haven't seen a reason to have him in the lineup when IMO there are players who would better plug the hole in the bottom 6…...

Edited by wings4thecup06, 01 February 2014 - 05:18 AM.

temp 1

#35 joshy207

joshy207

Black Ace

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 01:51 PM

I'm not talking about guys that should have retired two years ago.

Guys that can still play, willinging to sign a one year deal.

Plus this year's mess was due to cap space. The Wings will have plenty next year.

Also, I'm not saying that I want this, just that Kenny might do it.

Agreed.

Understood.  Unless the guy is someone who can really help the team, I would rather just go young and see what they can do to start the year.  They can always make a deal in-season if they need help, and they will have plenty of cap space.

#36 8 Legged RedWing

8 Legged RedWing

Arms... Legs... Whatever.

• Bronze Booster
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 02:03 PM

No simply because defense. We need a top 3 defenseman. The young forwards will improve.

#37 stillwater

stillwater

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 02:33 PM

No simply because defense. We need a top 3 defenseman. The young forwards will improve.

If the young forward will improve, isn't there also a likelihood that the young defencemen will as well? Or are forwards the only position players that get better with age?

#38 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,976 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 05:24 PM

I was thinking about Zidlicky too.  I agree with your thoughts about the unpopularity of the move.  But he's a good puck mover and would definitely help on the powerplay.  His contract isn't too bad either.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#39 WhiteLightning91

WhiteLightning91

Feed the Mule!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,467 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 05:29 PM

I'm still surprised at the lack of love Eaves gets around these boards and to a certain extent from management, considering they waived him. I want this guy to sign a deal similar to what Miller signed. Good on the pk, good skater, doesn't mind being a grinder, forechecks very well, responsible in his own zone, has the offensive skill set to pop in goals, good size, right-handed shot with adequate defensive awareness to play the point on the PP, and as we've seen lately he's one of our better guys in the shoutout.

I would like our bottom six to consist of a miller-helm-eaves line. They have been together in the past and I really thought they were great together.

Is the only knock on Eaves that he's not a prospect whom we have yet to lose our hard-on for based on unrealistic expectations certain fans place on our youth?

Edited by WhiteLightning91, 01 February 2014 - 05:42 PM.

GMRwings1983: "Hudler has been stellar"

#40 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,976 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 05:59 PM

I'm still surprised at the lack of love Eaves gets around these boards and to a certain extent from management, considering they waived him. I want this guy to sign a deal similar to what Miller signed. Good on the pk, good skater, doesn't mind being a grinder, forechecks very well, responsible in his own zone, has the offensive skill set to pop in goals, good size, right-handed shot with adequate defensive awareness to play the point on the PP, and as we've seen lately he's one of our better guys in the shoutout.

I would like our bottom six to consist of a miller-helm-eaves line. They have been together in the past and I really thought they were great together.

Is the only knock on Eaves that he's not a prospect whom we have yet to lose our hard-on for based on unrealistic expectations certain fans place on our youth?

I don't think anyone is anti-Eaves.  I think he has just struggled to find his place on the team since missing a year to injury.  As such, he just seems expendable comparatively.  Especially with the accent of the young guys. 

Personally, I think he's ideally suited for a third line semi-scoring role (which he wouldn't get on this team).  He's got more to give than your average everyday grinder.  As such, I really think it's a disservice to him to stay on this team.  I see him going to a young team in the offseason and having a good bit more success than he's had here.  He'd fit in well on Edmonton's team to be honest.

Edited by kipwinger, 01 February 2014 - 05:59 PM.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."