• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
matthewdanna

What's wrong with Pasha? (Mod warning post #57)

Rate this topic

How will you all feel if he plays in Sochi injured and comes back with a medal and a more serious injury that knocks him out of the rest of the season?

I remember Stevie Y doing this in 2002 and I ask all of you, is it worth missing a chance at the playoffs?

How will you all feel if he plays in Sochi injured and comes back with a medal and a more serious injury that knocks him out of the rest of the season?

I remember Stevie Y doing this in 2002 and I ask all of you, is it worth missing a chance at the playoffs?

if I was Russian I would be happy if it was Gold but as a wings fan hell no its not worth it to me.

It would suck, but I would do the same thing in his position. Olympics are a big deal. Hosting them is an even bigger deal. Representing your country as Captain is monumental, and it may very well be the last chance he gets at fighting for gold.

Guest Playmaker

It would suck, but I would do the same thing in his position. Olympics are a big deal. Hosting them is an even bigger deal. Representing your country as Captain is monumental, and it may very well be the last chance he gets at fighting for gold.

So is playing for the Detroit Red Wings. I can think of 6.7 million reasons why he should not be playing in the Olympics. If its a mild tweek and he missed a game or two. But Pavel hasn't played in a month. He's not in good condition. Sorry he might miss his big chance. But s*** happens. He won't be the first person to miss out and won't be the last. It's like a kid saying he's too sick to go to school, but good enough to go play at his friend's house or go play hockey. What he's done in the past is irrelevant. The Wings need him this year to help them get to the playoffs. This isn't comparable to Steve Yzerman. His injury was a chronic long term thing and he continued playing through the pain and only missed occasional games. He was also not the "star" of the team at the time and the Wings were not fighting to get to the playoffs.

Meh I love the Wings way more than the Canadian national team - I'd also take a Wings Stanley cup over a Canada gold any day (being Canadian).

Guest Playmaker

Sorry, but if he's too hurt to play for the Wings and takes the ice for Russia, that's a DB thing to do. Based on Babcock's comments, he's clearly not even close to being healthy. I don't care who you are or what the pressure is or what you've done in the past. It's disrespectful to the Wings, their management and the fans. I would think the same of any player no matter what country or team they played for.

Datsyuk has given enough to us that he deserves to do what he can to be healthy.

Whether that means sitting out wings games so he won't come back too much worse than he was after is fine.

Hell be here for three years after this year.

I trust hell do whats right, and honestly he's one of the best players and people to ever play the game.

I'd support him through whatever.

Datsyuk has given enough to us that he deserves to do what he can to be healthy.

Whether that means sitting out wings games so he won't come back too much worse than he was after is fine.

Hell be here for three years after this year.

I trust hell do whats right, and honestly he's one of the best players and people to ever play the game.

I'd support him through whatever.

This. I am just extremely happy he's signed for another 3 years. He could have just left us last year and went to Russia.

Let him do his thing. We love Pasha too much to turn on him.

My opinion on what's going on changes on an almost daily basis, but todays thought is that his mystery injury actually requires surgery, but Pav has been trying to rehab it instead in the hope of making the Olympics.

Possibly win a gold medal in your home country as captain or stay home and rest for a team that even IF they find a way to get a healthy lineup is more than likely 1st or 2nd round fodder?? Hrm thats a pretty easy decision right there. Everyone here would kill for that chance to do what Pav has in front of him. Pav has done enough for this organization the last 12 years that he should be able to do whatever he wants in this situation and we as fans should support him. The guy is going to go to Sochi and hes going to play. Even if hes 75% healthy hes going to play. Who cares if the Wings are his employer and he should stay because of risk of injury and not playing after. As an employee he has every right as we do with our jobs to tell his employer to stick it where the sun dont shine if they dont like his decision or try and persuade him to stay. Using the employer comes first logic then Babs shouldnt go either. That time off would be better focused on him figuring out what to do with this shamble of team he has than coaching Canada.

I can think of 6.7 million reasons why he should not be playing in the Olympics.

Pav has made enough money Im sure this weighs very little into his decision. If if does play into it then guess what, him leading his country to Olympic gold will earn him well over 6.7 million the rest of his life.

Guest Playmaker

Possibly win a gold medal in your home country as captain or stay home and rest for a team that even IF they find a way to get a healthy lineup is more than likely 1st or 2nd round fodder?? Hrm thats a pretty easy decision right there. Everyone here would kill for that chance to do what Pav has in front of him. Pav has done enough for this organization the last 12 years that he should be able to do whatever he wants in this situation and we as fans should support him. The guy is going to go to Sochi and hes going to play. Even if hes 75% healthy hes going to play. Who cares if the Wings are his employer and he should stay because of risk of injury and not playing after. As an employee he has every right as we do with our jobs to tell his employer to stick it where the sun dont shine if they dont like his decision or try and persuade him to stay. Using the employer comes first logic then Babs shouldnt go either. That time off would be better focused on him figuring out what to do with this shamble of team he has than coaching Canada.

Pav has made enough money Im sure this weighs very little into his decision. If if does play into it then guess what, him leading his country to Olympic gold will earn him well over 6.7 million the rest of his life.

Actually, he doesn't. He's not an at will employee. He belongs to a union and is under contract. He can't tell the Wings to stick it any more than the Wings can tell Sammy or Bert to stick it and not pay them. I would have to think behind the scenes the Wings are looking into what their rights are in the Collective Bargaining agreement regarding this issue I wasn't saying the money was important to him, but it's important to the people who are paying him and who he says he's too injured to play for, but is still getting paid to do so. You pay a neighbor kid a few hundred bucks to shovel your snow all season. He says he hurt himself and can't do it, yet you seem him outside shoveling someone else's snow. You're totally good with giving him that money and you're wishing him well because he's a nice kid and did a good job shoveling your snow last year?

If Mike Babcock was not coaching the Red Wings right now because he was too sick or injured but wasn't too sick or injured to coach Team Canada, then no, he shouldn't coach there. But he appears to be working very hard for the Red Wings right now. I have no issue with that or with any of the players who are playing for the Red Wings and are going to play for their country. There is a risk they may get injured and I understand that. But its completely different than someone who has not played in 5 weeks, can barely skate and seems to still want to go and play in the Olympics and wants to use the Red Wings games as "conditioning" for the Olympics.

So what if Russia doesn't win the gold medal and Datsyuk suffers a long term injury because of it? A torn ACL and is out for a year? You'll pay him out of your pocket?

Franzen is doing the right thing and sitting out and getting himself healthy for the Red Wings, not risking his health for Team Sweden.

So what if Russia doesn't win the gold medal and Datsyuk suffers a long term injury because of it? A torn ACL and is out for a year? You'll pay him out of your pocket?

Franzen is doing the right thing and sitting out and getting himself healthy for the Red Wings, not risking his health for Team Sweden.

Franzen isnt sitting out because he wants to get himself healthy for the Wings. Hes sitting out because hes not healthy enough to play the sport altogether. My opinion is the reason Franzen came back to early was because he wanted to get games in before the Olympics. If Dats went out and suffered a worse injury in the Olympics and won no medals Id say bad luck Dats but at-least you experienced something so few people in history get to. Him being healthy is not the difference between a Cup and no Cup. This team is not a contender. Sure they might squeek into the playoffs and upset someone in round one but they are not a contender to go deep.

And he sure as hell can tell the Wings to shove it. Ask the Devils how being in a union and under contract kept Kovalchuk from doing the same to them.

Edited by GoalieManPat

Guest Playmaker

Kovalchuk retired from the Devils and left the money behind and in the process gave the Devils a big break financially. He didn't say he was too hurt to play for the Devils. Datsyuk is expecting to continue to be paid by the Red Wings that he's too hurt to play for but isn't too hurt to play for Russia. He's also putting his future at risk. Totally different thing. Datsyuk isn't healthy enough to play the sport either. If he was, he'd be playing. Or at least he should be playing and not thinking about the Olympics. If he wants to be in Russia so much, there's the door. I want players who want to play for the Red Wings, not players who are phoning it in and worried about playing for other teams. Datsyuk is being selfish, pure and simple.

How come the coach doesnt ask Pavel about how he feels, what are his intentions ?

."Hey Pav..whats Up ? Hows the body ? Ready any time soon ?...you want to go have a drink and talk about it ?"

How come its so hard for the coach to know about it ? Cant they talk ??

Unless the coach knows about it and plays game with us like he does so frequently....

Khan said last night it's an unspecified knee injury. My best guess would be some sort of MCL/ACL sprain. A grade 1 MCL sprain has a typical recovery time of 4-6 weeks. Which would put Pasha back right before the Olympics if thats what it is. Just a guess.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2014/02/confidence_soaring_for_red_win.html

Babcock had no update on Pavel Datsyuk, who has missed 13 games with an unspecified knee injury.

“I just watched him in practice; his one leg isn’t holding up,” Babcock said. “Obviously, Pavel wants to play for his country and he wants to be a part of things, but you got to be healthy."

still..he knows cause he can see him...bu they don't communicate. Strange

I'm relatively certain that Babcock the coach and Datsyuk the player communicate. If they didn't one of them would no longer be part of the Red Wings.

What they seemingly don't do is communicate through the press.

@dchesnokov: Mike Babcock doesn't know if Pavel Datsyuk will play this week, or in Sochi at all. #RedWings #Sochi2014 http://t.co/y7SZAojj7Z

I feel bad. I want Pav healthy for the Wings above all else, but this may be his last opportunity to play for his country--as a captain no less. Sucks all around :(

I just want there to be some damn transparency. It's been a day-to-day lower body since Jan. 1st. That's over a month ago. This is on the level of long term IR timeframes, not day to day.

Why not just say what the injury is?