Photo
- - - - -

What's wrong with Pasha? (Mod warning post #57)

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#21 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 12:22 PM

If he plays in Sochi while still a bit injured, unlike most people here, I completely understand.

Russia is the host country of the Olympics, and Datsyuk has been named the captain of the Russian team.  That is a HUGE deal. 

Of all the hundreds of thousands of professional hockey players in the world only TWO single players every DECADE get that honor.

#22 Hairy Lime

Hairy Lime

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 12:31 PM

Paper cut. A bad one, too, from what I hear. I had one once - missed two months of work. I'm surprised he's going to play in Sochi, but he's a warrior. 

#23 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,643 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 12:56 PM

He's probably in Sochi already hanging out with Putin and Snowden.  

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#24 nosyt612

nosyt612

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 03:26 PM

I can't be mad at him if he plays.  I loved when Yzerman did it in in 02 as a Canadian when he probably shouldn't have considering his knee problems.  I'm not gonna sit here and be hypocrite about it, and I don't think some people realize how this is a once in a lifetime opportunity for Dats.

#25 mjtm77

mjtm77

mjtm77

• PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 03:36 PM

I can't be mad at him if he plays.  I loved when Yzerman did it in in 02 as a Canadian when he probably shouldn't have considering his knee problems.  I'm not gonna sit here and be hypocrite about it, and I don't think some people realize how this is a once in a lifetime opportunity for Dats.

We do, it's just we are all wings fans and we don't wanna miss the playoffs. This month as been tough to watch
Posted Image

#26 brett

brett

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,974 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 03:41 PM

pasha wants gold. he already gots a few cups. let him heal

#27 hathorlive

hathorlive

Jr. Prospect

• 17 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 04:26 PM

How will you all feel if he plays in Sochi injured and comes back with a medal and a more serious injury that knocks him out of the rest of the season?

I remember Stevie Y doing this in 2002 and I ask all of you, is it worth missing a chance at the playoffs?

#28 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,690 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 04:32 PM

How will you all feel if he plays in Sochi injured and comes back with a medal and a more serious injury that knocks him out of the rest of the season?

I remember Stevie Y doing this in 2002 and I ask all of you, is it worth missing a chance at the playoffs?

if I was Russian I would be happy if it was Gold but as a wings fan hell no its not worth it to me.

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#29 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,859 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 04:32 PM

It would suck, but I would do the same thing in his position.  Olympics are a big deal.  Hosting them is an even bigger deal.  Representing your country as Captain is monumental, and it may very well be the last chance he gets at fighting for gold.

#30 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 06:12 PM

It would suck, but I would do the same thing in his position.  Olympics are a big deal.  Hosting them is an even bigger deal.  Representing your country as Captain is monumental, and it may very well be the last chance he gets at fighting for gold.

So is playing for the Detroit Red Wings.  I can think of 6.7 million reasons why he should not be playing in the Olympics.  If its a mild tweek and he missed a game or two.  But Pavel hasn't played in a month.  He's not in good condition.  Sorry he might miss his big chance.  But s*** happens.  He won't be the first person to miss out and won't be the last.  It's like a kid saying he's too sick to go to school, but good enough to go play at his friend's house or go play hockey.  What he's done in the past is irrelevant.  The Wings need him this year to help them get to the playoffs.  This isn't comparable to Steve Yzerman.  His injury was a chronic long term thing and he continued playing through the pain and only missed occasional games.  He was also not the "star" of the team at the time and the Wings were not fighting to get to the playoffs.

#31 beachwing

beachwing

Reader

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 06:22 PM

I cant begin to imagine the pressure that guys like Pavs/Ovi/Maulkin must be carrying w/ them about Sochi.

#32 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,690 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 06:45 PM

Meh I love the Wings way more than the Canadian national team - I'd also take a Wings Stanley cup over a Canada gold any day (being Canadian). 

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#33 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 06:51 PM

Sorry, but if he's too hurt to play for the Wings and takes the ice for Russia, that's a DB thing to do.  Based on Babcock's comments, he's clearly not even close to being healthy. I don't care who you are or what the pressure is or what you've done in the past. It's disrespectful to the Wings, their management and the fans. I would think the same of any player no matter what country or team they played for.  

#34 jimmyemeryhunter

jimmyemeryhunter

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 07:42 PM

Datsyuk has given enough to us that he deserves to do what he can to be healthy.
Whether that means sitting out wings games so he won't come back too much worse than he was after is fine.
Hell be here for three years after this year.
I trust hell do whats right, and honestly he's one of the best players and people to ever play the game.
I'd support him through whatever.

#35 darkmanx

darkmanx

Toronto's Finest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,617 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 08:27 PM

Datsyuk has given enough to us that he deserves to do what he can to be healthy.
Whether that means sitting out wings games so he won't come back too much worse than he was after is fine.
Hell be here for three years after this year.
I trust hell do whats right, and honestly he's one of the best players and people to ever play the game.
I'd support him through whatever.

This. I am just extremely happy he's signed for another 3 years. He could have just left us last year and went to Russia.

Let him do his thing. We love Pasha too much to turn on him.

#36 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,868 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 08:29 PM

Please keep posts about the topic and not about other Wings fans.

Personal attacks will not be tolerated.

#37 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,892 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 08:54 PM

Who knows. Maybe crazy/evil Putin or the Bratva is threatening Pavel and the other Russian superstars. Illitch needs to sick the Godfathers of the Night on them. ;)
"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#38 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 04:19 AM

My opinion on what's going on changes on an almost daily basis, but todays thought is that his mystery injury actually requires surgery, but Pav has been trying to rehab it instead in the hope of making the Olympics.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#39 GoalieManPat

GoalieManPat

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 04:38 AM

Possibly win a gold medal in your home country as captain or stay home and rest for a team that even IF they find a way to get a healthy lineup is more than likely 1st or 2nd round fodder?? Hrm thats a pretty easy decision right there. Everyone here would kill for that chance to do what Pav has in front of him. Pav has done enough for this organization the last 12 years that he should be able to do whatever he wants in this situation and we as fans should support him. The guy is going to go to Sochi and hes going to play. Even if hes 75% healthy hes going to play. Who cares if the Wings are his employer and he should stay because of risk of injury and not playing after. As an employee he has every right as we do with our jobs to tell his employer to stick it where the sun dont shine if they dont like his decision or try and persuade him to stay. Using the employer comes first logic then Babs shouldnt go either. That time off would be better focused on him figuring out what to do with this shamble of team he has than coaching Canada.

I can think of 6.7 million reasons why he should not be playing in the Olympics. 

Pav has made enough money Im sure this weighs very little into his decision. If if does play into it then guess what, him leading his country to Olympic gold will earn him well over 6.7 million the rest of his life.

#40 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 06:40 AM

Possibly win a gold medal in your home country as captain or stay home and rest for a team that even IF they find a way to get a healthy lineup is more than likely 1st or 2nd round fodder?? Hrm thats a pretty easy decision right there. Everyone here would kill for that chance to do what Pav has in front of him. Pav has done enough for this organization the last 12 years that he should be able to do whatever he wants in this situation and we as fans should support him. The guy is going to go to Sochi and hes going to play. Even if hes 75% healthy hes going to play. Who cares if the Wings are his employer and he should stay because of risk of injury and not playing after. As an employee he has every right as we do with our jobs to tell his employer to stick it where the sun dont shine if they dont like his decision or try and persuade him to stay. Using the employer comes first logic then Babs shouldnt go either. That time off would be better focused on him figuring out what to do with this shamble of team he has than coaching Canada.

Pav has made enough money Im sure this weighs very little into his decision. If if does play into it then guess what, him leading his country to Olympic gold will earn him well over 6.7 million the rest of his life.

Actually, he doesn't.  He's not an at will employee.  He belongs to a union and is under contract.   He can't tell the Wings to stick it any more than the Wings can tell Sammy or Bert to stick it and not pay them.  I would have to think behind the scenes the Wings are looking into what their rights are in the Collective Bargaining agreement regarding this issue  I wasn't saying the money was important to him, but it's important to the people who are paying him and who he says he's too injured to play for, but is still getting paid to do so.  You pay a neighbor kid a few hundred bucks to shovel your snow all season.  He says he hurt himself and can't do it, yet you seem him outside shoveling someone else's snow.  You're totally good with giving him that money and you're wishing him well because he's a nice kid and did a good job shoveling your snow last year?  

If Mike Babcock was not coaching the Red Wings right now because he was too sick or injured but wasn't too sick or injured to coach Team Canada, then no, he shouldn't coach there.  But he appears to be working very hard for the Red Wings right now.  I have no issue with that or with any of the players who are playing for the Red Wings and are going to play for their country.  There is a risk they may get injured and I understand that.  But its completely different than someone who has not played in 5 weeks, can barely skate and seems to still want to go and play in the Olympics and wants to use the Red Wings games as "conditioning" for the Olympics.  

So what if Russia doesn't win the gold medal and Datsyuk suffers a long term injury because of it? A torn ACL and is out for a year?   You'll pay him out of your pocket?

Franzen is doing the right thing and sitting out and getting himself healthy for the Red Wings, not risking his health for Team Sweden.