• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

MabusIncarnate

2/2 GDT: Red Wings 5 at Capitals 6 (OT)

Rate this topic

Cant blame the refs. Wings D gave up 4 gimmie goals. Stop blaming the refs. The Wings werent good enough today. Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Yes and no. I've lost count of how many times this season and the last 2 where tight games involving the wings have been massively influenced by the officials. We all know the team has problems, and many are self inflicted, but as someone who has to watch games at unsociable hours most of the time, the constantly poor officiating is sapping my will to watch the games at a far greater rate than the incompetence of our veteran spare parts and the accident prone D

The Wings defense and goaltending was suspect all game, and you can't spot a team two two-goal leads the way they did out of the gate and expect to win.... THAT SAID, when OT started it was 4-4 and the game was decided after that point. It was decided by a dive, and after the refs let plenty of grappling go in the 3rd. They decided the game the second they decided (read: chose) to call another soft trip and obvious dive. After that, the script went perfectly, OV with the winner at home in OT on Super Bowl Sunday.

And yet all he ever does is talk up the importance of the draft! development! homegrown talent! building from within! because that's how you have to do it in the cap era! but we wouldn't understand that! because we're morons! but he gets it!

Simply put the WIngs need a good effort as they should beat a Vancouver team that is real bad right now.

Have you learned nothing???

Guest Playmaker

And yet all he ever does is talk up the importance of the draft! development! homegrown talent! building from within! because that's how you have to do it in the cap era! but we wouldn't understand that! because we're morons! but he gets it!

Have you learned nothing???

This interview was back in November before we saw most of the young players. Disregard.

This interview was back in November before we saw most of the young players. Disregard.

Why? When asked why Nyquist isn't in the lineup he said that NHL isn't the kids league and that they are not the answer. Why Nyquist was send down and Sammy/Cleary/Bert were playing?!

Theres no rule that says its not a penalty in OT. Smith has to be smart enough to avoid contact no matter how minor.Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

do you understand the concept of consistency? Because that's what the refs were severely lacking. Put the whistles away for the end of regulation and make a weak call that leads to a 4 on 3 of all things in OT, arguably the best situation for a team to be in. And for those of you saying "we'll the wings should be playing a 60 minute game and it's their fault", as a fan realizing we're not the dominant team we used to be it's horrendous and borderline not worth the aggravation of watching the refs largely influence the outcome of games with inconsistent calls. The Wings play is irrelevant to that fact. Edited by Wheelchairsuperhero

Why? When asked why Nyquist isn't in the lineup he said that NHL isn't the kids league and that they are not the answer. Why Nyquist was send down and Sammy/Cleary/Bert were playing?!

that sentence was aimed at Jurco, who hasn`t played a single game in the NHL at that point, but some were expecting him to be the savior of the wings offense

Oh, I know, but I think my point still stands. All he ever talks about is where the focus need to be, and he's made it clear that it's scouting, drafting, player development, our homegrown youth. Our kids. Granted, this one quote in question has been taken out of context somewhat. But, even so, it's a weird thing for him to say. He's made a conscious effort to "go young" with our D corps. Nyquist was a stud in the playoffs, and, either way (whether he and Tatar are destined to be studs or duds), he's made it incredibly clear that he doesn't want to fight for UFAs or swing any big trades - so, as our aging core inevitably declines, what's the compensation mechanism that will keep us competitive? Wouldn't it kind of have to be kids? Isn't that kind of what every GM in the league has figured out? Doesn't he say as much in every interview he gives? And didn't Yzerman, Lidstrom, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Kronwall et al. start their NHL careers as kids?

*shrug*

Question adressed to Kenny was regarding the Nyquist, why it took 2-3 months to call him up? He responded; this us the men league, kids aren't the answer.

I guess that we can agree that Nyquist should have started the season in Detroit...

Edited by Dominator2005

Well, having been there tonight, I have to say, I can't complain about an eleven goal game, except for the outcome. Wings stated like s***e, probably shouldn't have gotten a point. Glad they did tho. Vibe in the Verizon was that ovie was due. Sure enough. Bastard. Lots of wing chants. Good time!

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Guest Playmaker

Question adressed to Kenny was regarding the Nyquist, why it took 2-3 months to call him up? He responded; this us the men league, kids aren't the answer.

I guess that we can agree that Nyquist should have started the season in Detroit...

You clearly did not listen to the interview. As was mentioned, the comment was directed towards a question regarding Jurco. It was discussed at length at the time the interview was given. We all know why Nyquist did not start the season in Detroit. It's old news. Move on to something else.

Guest mjtm77

do you understand the concept of consistency? Because that's what the refs were severely lacking. Put the whistles away for the end of regulation and make a weak call that leads to a 4 on 3 of all things in OT, arguably the best situation for a team to be in. And for those of you saying "we'll the wings should be playing a 60 minute game and it's their fault", as a fan realizing we're not the dominant team we used to be it's horrendous and borderline not worth the aggravation of watching the refs largely influence the outcome of games with inconsistent calls. The Wings play is irrelevant to that fact.

Great post. Summed it up perfect

Guest Playmaker

Great post. Summed it up perfect

Yeah, like when Nyquist clearly interfered with Ovechkin and there was no call.

Yeah, like when Nyquist clearly interfered with Ovechkin and there was no call.

I don't quite get this post. Are you saying you think there was nothing Washington did that was let go? If so I wonder what game you were watching. Regardless your post is referring to the exact inconsistency I was talking about it. I hate it when it goes either way. And make up calls shouldn't be a thing either.

Guest Playmaker

I don't quite get this post. Are you saying you think there was nothing Washington did that was let go? If so I wonder what game you were watching. Regardless your post is referring to the exact inconsistency I was talking about it. I hate it when it goes either way. And make up calls shouldn't be a thing either.

Of course there was. Are you saying nothing Detroit did was let go? Of course there was. It happens in EVERY SINGLE NHL GAME. Officials miss calls they should make, make calls they shouldn't, don't see certain things, see things that didn't really happen....Just like the fans do. They don't get to sit in front of the tv and watch replays in slo mo. They have to make split second calls in a game that moves fast. It has always been and always will be. It isn't an anti-Red Wing conspiracy, it isn't Bettman's fault, it isn't Crosby or Ovechkin's fault.

Of course there was. Are you saying nothing Detroit did was let go? Of course there was. It happens in EVERY SINGLE NHL GAME. Officials miss calls they should make, make calls they shouldn't, don't see certain things, see things that didn't really happen....Just like the fans do. They don't get to sit in front of the tv and watch replays in slo mo. They have to make split second calls in a game that moves fast. It has always been and always will be. It isn't an anti-Red Wing conspiracy, it isn't Bettman's fault, it isn't Crosby or Ovechkin's fault.

Crosbyyyyyyy!!!!!

*shakes fist in despair*

I don't remember saying there was an anti wings conspiracy, in fact I'm pretty sure I said I hate inconsistency both ways. My point was that they were clearly letting things go until suddenly they weren't, but that suddenly happened to be in OT causing a 4 on 3. The timing was stupid. I didn't say they missed calls because it was a fast game , I said they were intentionally not calling things and letting the players play. And the fact that it happens every game does not justify it, it's exactly my problem with it because it makes hockey aggravating to watch. Edited by Wheelchairsuperhero

Guest Playmaker

I don't remember saying there was an anti wings conspiracy, in fact I'm pretty sure I said I hate inconsistency both ways. My point was that they were clearly letting things go until suddenly they weren't, but that suddenly happened to be in OT causing a 4 on 3. The timing was stupid. I didn't say they missed calls because it was a fast game , I said they were intentionally not calling things and letting the players play. And the fact that it happens every game does not justify it, it's exactly my problem with it because it makes hockey aggravating to watch.

Its your assumption that they were "clearly letting things go", not what actually happened. I don't know of any sport where the fans say, "Hey, our sport has great officials and always make the right call!" It does not happen, because fans are inherently biased and because you have human beings making judgement calls.

I understand everyone's frustration, but the fluff posts are getting out of hand. As a reminder:

II. Basic Forum DOs & DON'Ts

· DO post constructively. If you can't add anything meaningful to a discussion, don't bother.

Also, while germane to this game, please post reffing observations in the thread created for it so we don't have identical concurrent discussions going on.

Thanks!

The refs didn't cost the Wings this game. Defensive zone turnovers and poor d-zone play cost the Wings this game.

Helm needs to forget that hot streak he went on when he first came back and start playing the simple north-south game that got him here instead of trying to be a scoring line center. Even when he's playing on a scoring line.

That #4 spot on D is their major Achilles heel. Quincey, Smith, and Kindl just aren't getting it done for various reasons.