• Please log in to reply
580 replies to this topic

#541 dat's sick

dat's sick

Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,352 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 03:43 PM

Guys, this isn't on the refs. We spotted the Caps three goals in the first by playing the absolute worst "hockey" we have ever played. As always, we do it to ourselves.

After that 1st period no one can be angry/upset/disappointed with 1 point. The young guns on this team are what keeps me watching, well them and Z and D (when he plays). Beyond that... we're hurting. Howard is clearly not past his struggles, and all our d-men are struggling pretty much. Lashoff needs to play, which is something I thought I'd never say. 

That Nyquist. That Tatar. Hell, That Jurco and Sheahan. Beasts. 

#542 GoWings!

GoWings!

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 03:44 PM

Howard,Quincey, Kindl and Cleary for Darren Puppa(wherever he is now)..would be an improvement.

#543 GoalieManPat

GoalieManPat

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,418 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 03:46 PM

You couldn't be more wrong. You're entitled to your ice. You don't have to move for anyone. 

Wrong. You dont have to move if youve established that ice. Smith was moving to prevent a defender from coming out and challenging Kindl thus opening up a lane to goal. Smith knew what he was doing. He went out of his way to get in the way and set a pick. Textbook interference/tripping since Smith got him with his stick. 

#544 BadgerBob

BadgerBob

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 03:49 PM

When's Babs' daughter get the call??? She was medically cleared in episode 2! 

#545 GoalieManPat

GoalieManPat

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,418 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 03:50 PM

Simply put the WIngs need a good effort as they should beat a Vancouver team that is real bad right now. We know they probably wont get anything from the Florida game so those two points tomorrow are important. 

#546 mjtm77

mjtm77

mjtm77

• PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 03:51 PM

This was a VERY even hockey game. 

So its hard for me to fathom that Detroit committed 6 penalties and Washington, only 3. Makes zero sense. 

Not to blame the refs (defensively, we were pretty stinky) but why do the calls have to be sof****** scripted? As a fan, you know when theyre coming. 

The ovi show. I can't belive that people are not more mad.
Posted Image

#547 b.shanafan14

b.shanafan14

One good Swede deserves another!

• Silver Booster
  • 2,872 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 03:53 PM

Great game by Z, Nyquist, and the kids. Really, extraordinary.

Howard couldn't find the puck, our defense was all thumbs and left feet, and the officiating was soft as hell.

The pathetic thing here is, again, how the league's officials reward these dive-artists. The Wings fight through the same holds, hooks, sticks in feet, and cross-checks that made the Caps fold like a lawn-chair. What is called a penalty and what was let go after the 2nd period was completely unpredictable, and thus terrible.

#548 8 Legged RedWing

8 Legged RedWing

Arms... Legs... Whatever.

• Bronze Booster
  • 1,292 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 03:56 PM

Wrong. You dont have to move if youve established that ice. Smith was moving to prevent a defender from coming out and challenging Kindl thus opening up a lane to goal. Smith knew what he was doing. He went out of his way to get in the way and set a pick. Textbook interference/tripping since Smith got him with his stick. 

Smith didn't move his stick. The Washington player stepped on it which isn't a penalty by rule. It's not a penalty and was only called because they missed what could have been called on Ovechkin.

I'm glad you know what each payer is thinking while they play, that must be quite the gift.

#549 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,199 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 03:58 PM

This was a VERY even hockey game. 

So it’s hard for me to fathom that Detroit committed 6 penalties and Washington, only 3. Makes zero sense. 

Not to blame the refs (defensively, we were pretty stinky) but why do the calls have to be sof****** scripted? As a fan, you know when they’re coming. 

The Wings have to know the situation. This is a pre-Superbowl NBC broadcast, starring Alexander Ovechkin, in DC. The perfect script sees them neck-and-neck, tied up at five apiece after 60 minutes, with Ovie sealing the deal in OT. That's what everyone wants to see. So there's a good chance the refs are going to do their best to make it happen. That means you have to be that much safer, smarter, more disciplined, more on-the-ball. You know what their PP can do, and you know they're going to get a boatload of opportunities, especially considering the way our last game against them was called (in our favor). At the very least, we could look like we pre-scouted the other team and know how to run an actual NHL PK. At the very least, our all-star olympian starting goalie could give up less than six goals. At the very least, Kyle Quincey could not throw that puck over the glass and suck all the wind out of our sails for the rest of the first period.

The refs are the refs. You have to assume they're going to job you every night. The worst thing our players could do is pin this loss on them. This loss was a team effort.

Edited by Dabura, 02 February 2014 - 04:03 PM.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#550 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 03:58 PM

The ovi show. I can't belive that people are not more mad.

What, mad that we could stop the best goalscorer in the league from nailing a laser during a 4-on-3 that resulted from a blatant dive? 

Honestly after that dreadful 1st period we should be delighted with a point.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#551 lomekian

lomekian

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 04:01 PM

Cant blame the refs. Wings D gave up 4 gimmie goals. Stop blaming the refs. The Wings werent good enough today. Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Yes and no. I've lost count of how many times this season and the last 2 where tight games involving the wings have been massively influenced by the officials. We all know the team has problems, and many are self inflicted, but as someone who has to watch games at unsociable hours most of the time, the constantly poor officiating is sapping my will to watch the games at a far greater rate than the incompetence of our veteran spare parts and the accident prone D

#552 Dominator2005

Dominator2005

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 04:02 PM

http://kuklaskorner....for-ken-holland

Kids aren't the answer - Way to go Kenny

"Some guys dream about scoring goals, or making big saves... I swear to God I dream about kicking ass in a hockey fight - no other way to say it than I love to do it, its who I am"... Brian McGrattan

#553 b.shanafan14

b.shanafan14

One good Swede deserves another!

• Silver Booster
  • 2,872 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 04:05 PM

The Wings defense and goaltending was suspect all game, and you can't spot a team two two-goal leads the way they did out of the gate and expect to win.... THAT SAID, when OT started it was 4-4 and the game was decided after that point. It was decided by a dive, and after the refs let plenty of grappling go in the 3rd. They decided the game the second they decided (read: chose) to call another soft trip and obvious dive. After that, the script went perfectly, OV with the winner at home in OT on Super Bowl Sunday.

#554 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,199 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 04:11 PM

http://kuklaskorner....for-ken-holland

Kids aren't the answer - Way to go Kenny

And yet all he ever does is talk up the importance of the draft! development! homegrown talent! building from within! because that's how you have to do it in the cap era! but we wouldn't understand that! because we're morons! but he gets it!

Simply put the WIngs need a good effort as they should beat a Vancouver team that is real bad right now.

Have you learned nothing???

Don't Toews me, bro!

#555 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 04:19 PM

And yet all he ever does is talk up the importance of the draft! development! homegrown talent! building from within! because that's how you have to do it in the cap era! but we wouldn't understand that! because we're morons! but he gets it!

Have you learned nothing???

This interview was back in November before we saw most of the young players.  Disregard.

#556 Dominator2005

Dominator2005

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,293 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 04:25 PM

This interview was back in November before we saw most of the young players.  Disregard.

Why? When asked why Nyquist isn't in the lineup he said that NHL isn't the kids league and that they are not the answer. Why Nyquist was send down and Sammy/Cleary/Bert were playing?!
"Some guys dream about scoring goals, or making big saves... I swear to God I dream about kicking ass in a hockey fight - no other way to say it than I love to do it, its who I am"... Brian McGrattan

#557 Wheelchairsuperhero

Wheelchairsuperhero

Wizard

• PipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 04:42 PM

Theres no rule that says its not a penalty in OT. Smith has to be smart enough to avoid contact no matter how minor.Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

do you understand the concept of consistency? Because that's what the refs were severely lacking. Put the whistles away for the end of regulation and make a weak call that leads to a 4 on 3 of all things in OT, arguably the best situation for a team to be in. And for those of you saying "we'll the wings should be playing a 60 minute game and it's their fault", as a fan realizing we're not the dominant team we used to be it's horrendous and borderline not worth the aggravation of watching the refs largely influence the outcome of games with inconsistent calls. The Wings play is irrelevant to that fact.

Edited by Wheelchairsuperhero, 02 February 2014 - 04:45 PM.

#558 ahkmed

ahkmed

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 78 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 04:47 PM

Why? When asked why Nyquist isn't in the lineup he said that NHL isn't the kids league and that they are not the answer. Why Nyquist was send down and Sammy/Cleary/Bert were playing?!

that sentence was aimed at Jurco, who hasn`t played a single game in the NHL at that point, but some were expecting him to be the savior of the wings offense

#559 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,199 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 04:48 PM

Oh, I know, but I think my point still stands. All he ever talks about is where the focus need to be, and he's made it clear that it's scouting, drafting, player development, our homegrown youth. Our kids. Granted, this one quote in question has been taken out of context somewhat. But, even so, it's a weird thing for him to say. He's made a conscious effort to "go young" with our D corps. Nyquist was a stud in the playoffs, and, either way (whether he and Tatar are destined to be studs or duds), he's made it incredibly clear that he doesn't want to fight for UFAs or swing any big trades - so, as our aging core inevitably declines, what's the compensation mechanism that will keep us competitive? Wouldn't it kind of have to be kids? Isn't that kind of what every GM in the league has figured out? Doesn't he say as much in every interview he gives? And didn't Yzerman, Lidstrom, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Kronwall et al. start their NHL careers as kids?

*shrug*

Don't Toews me, bro!

#560 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,484 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 04:48 PM

that sentence was aimed at Jurco, who hasn`t played a single game in the NHL at that point, but some were expecting him to be the savior of the wings offense

You’re 100% correct. 

"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"