• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest mjtm77

The NHL reffing affecting the game

Rate this topic

Guest mjtm77

Can someone please tell me how they get away with this crap. We all know the officiating is out right horrible. No body knows what a penalty is and they tend to give teams power plays late in the game always. In the IIHF they call every penalty. This isn't just the wings. Every team gets screwed by the refs. It's like they pick a bias before the game. To me each year the officiating gets worse and I'm sick of it.

As for today's game the caps get a power play late in the game, they get a power play in overtime. It's a joke. The refs clearly impact the game.

Btw our first game vs the caps they had a power play in over time. Hmm weird....

You think the NHL officiating is bad, wait until the Superbowl today.

Officiating is a problem in all sports, likely because of the human error. Until we can develop a system where computers or robots make the calls, you'll have these issues. It's like expecting players not to make mistakes and be perfect.

As far as bias, there is a lot of that in sports too, especially in the NBA. Not sure if the NHL favors Washington at this point, though. I do think teams like the Pens or Hawks get a lot of BS calls their way.

Guest mjtm77

Am I missing something, that wasn't a trip?

With the standards that they ref the games. No it was not

This isn't news, but it never ceases to infuriate. The biggest difference in games like this is that the Wings refuse to go down, while the Caps flop, throw hands up, and dive relentlessly. The league has done nothing to fix the diving and bulls***. The second we got to OT I knew what the perfect ending for the network was: penalty and OV goal.

Guest mjtm77

no body knows what a penalty is. They call it based on who is trailing/ who has more power plays, in IIHF a penalty is a penalty

This isn't news, but it never ceases to infuriate. The biggest difference in games like this is that the Wings refuse to go down, while the Caps flop, throw hands up, and dive relentlessly. The league has done nothing to fix the diving and bulls***. The second we got to OT I knew what the perfect ending for the network was: penalty and OV goal.

Couldn't agree more. The NHL is turning into some scripted fairy tale. And is not just redwings games.

Tired of the penalty excuses. Yes I thought it was a lame call for an overtime but the Wings teams that had actual defense and goalies that can make clutch saves would've killed off those types of pps and rallied for big wins. Washington skates faster than Detroit and we have slow defensemen that know it's better to take a penalty than to let the guy go in and put in an obvious goal otherwise as usual with nothing clutch back there to stop it.

Guest mjtm77

Obv are defense isint great, but this is not a thread about defense. It's a thread about how the officiating across the NHL is horrible and watching hockey games is like watching a predicable tv show or listening to the lyrics from a nickelback song

Edited by mjtm77

Am I missing something, that wasn't a trip?

Imagine if every player deliberately skated over an opponents stick, threw themselves to the ice and got a penalty for it (including a nice soccer style fist pump for drawing the call). It'd be 60 minutes of 3on3.

I genuinely thought the Caps player was getting called for diving at first.

There's no crying in hockey and I certainly don't believe in any referee bias. They miss things and sometimes let things go, but I don't believe it's based on bias.

Smith was called in OT because his trip directly led to (or would have led to) a Wings scoring chance.

You don't have to like it.

Guest mjtm77

?

Meaning players get tripped, hit from behind, interfered with and they don't call it. Yet the call a pathetic trip. Like I said did anybody see Kadri hit a guy from behind, no call and then pass it out front and score. The ref was looking right at it.

Guest mjtm77

Z got manhandled multiple times that game with no call including one right before the end of the 3rd. It makes sense then that the Caps don't get a soft pp in OT then - but the refs do it anyway. I don't mind the Z no call if they don't make that soft call in OT.

Exactly! And here is the thing. This crap happens every game. Tbh I would take IIHF reffing all day. To me the NHL refs are like the replacement refs in the nfl a couple years back

Guest Playmaker

I don't know what the call on Smith was, but it seemed more like interference than a trip. It could have gone either way, and I would have preferred that it wasn't called being in OT an being a Wings fan, but it was. It didn't give the Caps the game. The failure of the Wings PK gave them the game. A PP isn't or shouldn't be an automatic goal. We know it sure wouldn't have been if the Wings got the PP.

Every fan of every sport thinks their sport has horrible officiating. When you have humans making the calls with a split second to make a decision, things aren't always going to get called the way they maybe should. I think the fans are more biased than the officials which usually leads to the feeling that officiating is soooo terrible.

You think the NHL officiating is bad, wait until the Superbowl today.

Actually, the Superbowl generally has fairly decent officiating. Usually no huge blunders or errors that effect the outcome of who wins and loses the game. There is no doubt the NHL has (by far) the worst and most inconsistent officiating in ALL sports. And it's not even close... Until the NHL accepts a 'coaches challenge' type of rule, the outcomes of games will continue to be altered by sub-par officiating.

Dp

I see clearly, now, thanks, Homer .

We give up 6 frikin goals, lose, and your first instinct is to blame the refs, where as my thoughts go to us getting totally out played in the first, Jimmy spectating on the first goal, and all the other mistakes we made right up to Smith's stupid trip.

Edit: What this? Oh, it's actual facts suggesting that they call less penalties now than in the past. Interesting.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/leagues/stats.html

It’s not the number of penalties, it’s the timing.

Today, Washington were given two early PPs to get rolling and one final PP to end the game. It reeks of being scripted.

That being said, I love that The Red Wings don’t dive (usually), don’t whine, and have a coach that never uses officiating as an excuse.

As a fan, I mostly try to follow suit, but sometimes it’s so ******* infuriating to watch.

Sometimes its tough to watch, like the tripping call in OT this afternoon for example, but my general philosophy is: if you're playing the game in such a way that the refs are able to influence the outcome in the final minute, then you're not playing hard enough in the first 59.

If the Wings took care of business in their own zone today, the Wings would have been up by two or three goals to close the game out. As it happened, we didn't, and the invitation to hand the game to the Capitals, or the refs was thus handed out.

Edited by Echolalia

Edit: What this? Oh, it's actual facts suggesting that they call less penalties now than in the past. Interesting.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/leagues/stats.html

There's obviously less penalties, however that's irrelevant to me seeing as how the real issue is inconsistency, accuracy, and timing which remains just as bad if not worse. Situational calls are so obvious it's painful. Nice condescension though.

Guest mjtm77

I see clearly, now, thanks, Homer .

We give up 6 frikin goals, lose, and your first instinct is to blame the refs, where as my thoughts go to us getting totally out played in the first, Jimmy spectating on the first goal, and all the other mistakes we made right up to Smith's stupid trip.

Thoes were not my first thoughts. And I'm taking about the officiating in general, not just the redwings. It's one thing to have your own opinion but to call me out... C'mon.