• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#21 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 04:38 PM

Better rephrase that. Yes I'm finding the reffs are ruining the game or deciding games anyway. 

Some games you just gotta put the whistle away and let them play. 

Edited by St. Michael (the Red Wing), 02 February 2014 - 04:39 PM.

#22 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,987 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 04:41 PM

Edit:  What this?  Oh, it's actual facts suggesting that they call less penalties now than in the past.  Interesting.

http://www.hockey-re...gues/stats.html

It’s not the number of penalties, it’s the timing. 

Today, Washington were given two early PPs to get rolling and one final PP to end the game. It reeks of being scripted.

That being said, I love that The Red Wings don’t dive (usually), don’t whine, and have a coach that never uses officiating as an excuse. 

As a fan, I mostly try to follow suit, but sometimes it’s sof****** infuriating to watch. 

"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#23 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,915 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 04:49 PM

Sometimes its tough to watch, like the tripping call in OT this afternoon for example, but my general philosophy is: if you're playing the game in such a way that the refs are able to influence the outcome in the final minute, then you're not playing hard enough in the first 59.

If the Wings took care of business in their own zone today, the Wings would have been up by two or three goals to close the game out.  As it happened, we didn't, and the invitation to hand the game to the Capitals, or the refs was thus handed out.

Edited by Echolalia, 02 February 2014 - 04:51 PM.

#24 Wheelchairsuperhero

Wheelchairsuperhero

Wizard

• PipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 04:49 PM

Edit:  What this?  Oh, it's actual facts suggesting that they call less penalties now than in the past.  Interesting.

http://www.hockey-re...gues/stats.html

There's obviously less penalties, however that's irrelevant to me seeing as how the real issue is inconsistency, accuracy, and timing which remains just as bad if not worse. Situational calls are so obvious it's painful. Nice condescension though.

#25 mjtm77

mjtm77

mjtm77

• PipPipPipPip
  • 962 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 05:24 PM

I see clearly, now, thanks, Homer .

We give up 6 frikin goals, lose, and your first instinct is to blame the refs, where as my thoughts go to us getting totally out played in the first, Jimmy spectating on the first goal, and all the other mistakes we made right up to Smith's stupid trip.

Thoes were not my first thoughts. And I'm taking about the officiating in general, not just the redwings. It's one thing to have your own opinion but to call me out... C'mon.
Posted Image

#26 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,853 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 06:17 PM

Refereeing has been bad since the lock out, but blaming our bad defense on the refs is a poor excuse. I don't delude myself into believing that the refs will suddenly become good, we should resign our self's to the fact that this is the way games are going to be refereed and hope that when the other team gets a bad call against them that we can capitalize on it.

"He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero. Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there." ~ Franzen 

#27 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 06:25 PM

Refereeing has been bad since the lock out, but blaming our bad defense on the refs is a poor excuse. I don't delude myself into believing that the refs will suddenly become good, we should resign our self's to the fact that this is the way games are going to be refereed and hope that when the other team gets a bad call against them that we can capitalize on it.

Yeah, like say, oh, the puck going out of play and hitting the netting and going off the back of the goalie and tying the game in the last minute.  But damn, why can't stuff like that ever happen to the Wings?!?!  They clearly hate the Wings!

#28 Vladinator16

Vladinator16

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 61 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 07:23 PM

Its Hockey, calls get missed and bad calls do happen, end of story.

Remember the LA game when the puck off the netting saved our sorry behinds, I don't remember a anybody starting a thread complaining about the refs affecting the outcome of the game (by missing an obvious puck in the netting). Sure the trip (if you can call it a trip) was a weak call but you have to remember those weak calls and non calls (puck off the netting) work both ways. Don't be thrilled about one of them and then complain about the next, In the end they all even each other out, The two points from the LA game we should have never gotten far out weighs the one point we lost today. Refs can't see everything and do make mistakes, just be glad the NHL doesn't employ the NFL refs. 

Sure the refs suck, they do in every sport, but what can you really do about it? There will always be human error. 

#29 lomekian

lomekian

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 07:44 PM

I don't think tonight's call was the result of institutional bias. I do think it reflects an increasing problem with inconsistency in the league that has come with old refs struggling with the speed of the game and rule changes, which has lead to a lot of guessing on calls. Guessing increases the impact of personal bias or external pressure, but is no dishonest as such. But the league is determined to officiate the game in a way that is outdated and its leading to an increasing number of mistakes year on year.

Its amazing how a league with transparency and accountability in its supplimentary discipline can be so lacking in it for vast swathes of its on ice officiating, including the particularly random non-reviewable calls.

I know I'm an ignorant brit,but after 20 years of watching the NHL I'm far more confused about what is penalised and what is not than ever before. And for me its starting to impact directly on my ability to enjoy the sport

And guess what...much as my bias enjoyed the LA cock-up as payback for the SJ one a few years back, that kind of situation is embarrassing. It makes the NHL look amateur. but then the limitations on video reviews are archaic and non-sensical. I think what is most frustrating is not the calls like today, but the impression that as the standard of officiating declines as the job becomes fundamentally more difficult, the NHL seems reluctant to give its officials the help they need. Its a similar situation in Soccer, but at least we can be sure that's down to FIFA/UEFA corruption cover-ups....

#30 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 07:46 PM

Ever since the second ref was added, the overall product of reffing has gone down hill. Go back to one ref, let him be in complete control. Also will open up more ice for the players.

#31 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,612 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 08:38 PM

Sometimes, the Referee isn't always in the right position to make the proper call.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#32 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,695 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 08:56 PM

There's obviously less penalties, however that's irrelevant to me seeing as how the real issue is inconsistency, accuracy, and timing which remains just as bad if not worse. Situational calls are so obvious it's painful. Nice condescension though.

You're right, that was pretty condescending.  I apologize to everyone.  I get a little frustrated with referee blaming, but that's not an excuse to be a d*ck.  My bad.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#33 Wheelchairsuperhero

Wheelchairsuperhero

Wizard

• PipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 08:58 PM

Lol it's all good, I was pretty pissed after game myself. It's obviously not all refs fault, a 3 goal first is pretty bad itself. But when you're a struggling team the refs become a much bigger factor.

#34 MotorCityMadness

MotorCityMadness

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,580 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 09:37 PM

Aside from the call itself, I did not like how the official making the call was the one positioned down low on the goal line on the other side of the ice while the one positioned on the same side of the ice looking directly at the "infraction" did not have his arm up at all

HEY HEY HOCKEYTOWN!

#35 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 10:31 PM

It's easy for us to scream about a missed call when we see it from a good angle and on slo-mo replay.  The refs are at ice level trying to watch 10 guys at full speed while skating themselves and trying to keep thmselves in the right position to not only see the play, but to stay the hell out of the way of the play.  I've officiated a few rec leagues.  It's the hardest things I've ever done in sports.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#36 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,853 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 10:41 PM

Yeah, like say, oh, the puck going out of play and hitting the netting and going off the back of the goalie and tying the game in the last minute.  But damn, why can't stuff like that ever happen to the Wings?!?!  They clearly hate the Wings!

Dude, what the hell are you talking about? You clearly misunderstood what I wrote, you should re-read it. But In case you still don't get it let me spell it out for you clearly. What I meant was that officiating has been bad for a long time and we as fans should just get used to it and not complain about every single call. And since the refs are usually bad for both sides the Wings should try and take advantage when the refs blow a call in their favor.
Now I realize the first couple sentences make me sound like a sarcastic prick but I'm just answering your misplaced sarcasm with some of my own. Sorry.

"He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero. Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there." ~ Franzen 

#37 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,199 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 10:49 PM

Its Hockey, calls get missed and bad calls do happen, end of story.

Remember the LA game when the puck off the netting saved our sorry behinds, I don't remember a anybody starting a thread complaining about the refs affecting the outcome of the game (by missing an obvious puck in the netting). Sure the trip (if you can call it a trip) was a weak call but you have to remember those weak calls and non calls (puck off the netting) work both ways. Don't be thrilled about one of them and then complain about the next, In the end they all even each other out, The two points from the LA game we should have never gotten far out weighs the one point we lost today. Refs can't see everything and do make mistakes, just be glad the NHL doesn't employ the NFL refs. 

Sure the refs suck, they do in every sport, but what can you really do about it? There will always be human error. 

A lot of us made fun of the ref for that blunder too. But we did it in the GDT. Reffing in the NHL is garbage, but whatcha fooa do? Not like I'm gonna watch any other sport the way I watch hockey. Get pissed in the moment and then let it go and get ready for the next game

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#38 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,915 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 12:35 AM

You're right, that was pretty condescending.  I apologize to everyone.  I get a little frustrated with referee blaming, but that's not an excuse to be a d*ck.  My bad.

This is off-topic but I want to point out how awesome this response is.  Instead of getting all internet-tough by slinging remarks back and forth, you cordially apologize and move on.  The internet needs more classy folks like you.

To contribute to the topic at hand: I don't think refs have a bias (or try to, at least) for or against any team.  Sometimes they get the right calls, and sometimes they don't.  It usually balances out in the end.

#39 Mikeal

Mikeal

Rookie

• HoF Booster
  • 199 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 02:50 AM

Sports in general are in the dark ages when it comes to using technology to streamline, verify, and interpret live play.  You can easily come up with 5 things the NHL could be using already in a couple minutes. 

That said, the NHL does a better job of implementing new technologies than most leagues.  Most of the time sports takes the cautious option and does nothing or waits for someone else to do it first.  The NHL is already using centralized review (with on ice primary decision taking into account when inconclusive) and most other sports are using TVs in the same stadium on a closed circuit network.  

#40 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,056 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 04:03 AM

Rugby League and Rugby Union are probably one of the leaders in video technology, not afraid of it at all, and openly embrace it.  They even have the refs mic'd up so you can hear the conversations between the ref and the video judge, and even the ref and the players. They even leave the mic open during play so you can hear them communicating with the players "stay on your feet number 8!", "no hands white!" etc etc.

And since Rugby enforces respect for the refs, you don't get the mic picking up on them swearing when they're saying "yes sir, no sir" to the refs.

Yes, the players in rugby really do call the ref "sir" :)

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk