20 replies to this topic

#21 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 09:40 AM

Congrats Goose!

I know some of y'all aren't into it, but I AM SO STOKED I LOVE THE OLYMPICS!!!111!!1!1!

And I will be an honorary Swede this year.

I'm just the opposite.  I'd rather be watching NHL hockey.  I'm not a big fan of the whole Dream Team concept.  I think the old way of Olympic athletes sacrificing their whole lives, the financial hardship that often came along with it, not getting any financial windfall from it  The only reward was just to participate and represent your country and the possibility of getting a medal. That was the Olympics to me.  The lines have become so blurred now between amateur and professional.  It seems like many of the athletes train and live in countries other than the ones they represent.  Also dislike the concept of athletes latching on to a sport, like the track athletes with the bobsled, just to get a medal.  There's also no good guy/bad guy backdrop like there used to be with the fall of the Eastern Bloc nations.  

That said, it was clearly on honor for Nyquist and I wish him well.  He definitely earned it.