• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Playmaker

Slava Fetisov Interview

Rate this topic

Guest Playmaker

http://www.freep.com/article/20140204/SPORTS05/302040077/detroit-red-wings-limousine-crash-fetisov-konstantinov

I never watch Channel 4 news, but pushed a wrong button accidentally this morning and saw them "tease" this interview and stayed tuned in to watch.

I have to say it was baffling to say the least and the interviewer did a lousy job of having Fetisov elaborate on his "accusations".

If Mr. Ilitch/Detroit RedWings aren't still supporting Konstantinov, I'd have to wonder who is. His rehab/care are extremely expensive, not something a person in his situation would typically get.

It's pretty clear that the accident still haunts Slava. From what I recall, his chest injury resulted from Vladdie being launched into him on impact.

Well that's just bizarre...

Some bold statements.from Fetisov.

“I think this guy did it on purpose, the limo driver"

"But the most thing that pissed off is the position of the team"

He said he was told..."Not team event" by the Red Wings. Was ticked off at the Wings’ response to the crash, which Scillian said affected Konstantinov’s long-term health coverage.

"The guys who fights for this cup, like it's his last chance. You know Vladimeer"

"I still try to understand why. Why is this kid, who I knew since he was 14 years old, why did this guy get in a situation like that. I still can't find the answer"

Guest Playmaker

Yeah, I found it odd, too, especially on the heels of all the seemingly good will with the Alumni game.

He was just throwing a lot of stuff out there, but yet without a lot of explanation or reasoning behind it.

Guest Playmaker

Wasn't he pissed off that he wasn't offered a new contract after the 97-98 season? Maybe he's still mad about that.

I'm pretty sure that Konstantinov's and Mnatsakanov's insurance is covering everything

I don't think retired NHL players have an insurance plan, and I highly doubt team massage therapists do. I know Steve Moore's family has discussed the fact that his recovery has been hampered by the lack of affordable care and he was living with his parents. The Avalanche somewhat distanced themselves from him and gave little to no financial support. They get a 45k/yr pension after playing 106 games, but that wouldn't cover the kind of care he's getting. Vladdie is still getting intensive therapy for 6+ hours a day and has a round the clock caregiver. The therapy that he's getting usually is for patients in the early stages of recovery(and with good insurance or a ton of money.) It's rare for patients to make significant gains in function so many years after the TBI. It would be highly unlikely an insurance company is covering type of therapy. Its not affordable on SSDI/Medicaid.

I don't think retired NHL players have an insurance plan, and I highly doubt team massage therapists do. I know Steve Moore's family has discussed the fact that his recovery has been hampered by the lack of affordable care and he was living with his parents. The Avalanche somewhat distanced themselves from him and gave little to no financial support. They get a 45k/yr pension after playing 106 games, but that wouldn't cover the kind of care he's getting. Vladdie is still getting intensive therapy for 6+ hours a day and has a round the clock caregiver. The therapy that he's getting usually is for patients in the early stages of recovery(and with good insurance or a ton of money.) It's rare for patients to make significant gains in function so many years after the TBI. It would be highly unlikely an insurance company is covering type of therapy. Its not affordable on SSDI/Medicaid.

Someone is covering it. If it's not the Wings, or Konstantinov's insurance, who is it?

Guest Playmaker

Someone is covering it. If it's not the Wings, or Konstantinov's insurance, who is it?

That's a good question. My only other guess would be that the auto insurance for the Limo company is or was. I think that Michigan's no fault law has (had?) unlimited medical coverage if you're injured in an auto accident. (I know there were attempts to limit this recently. Can't recall what the outcome was) But since they went bankrupt as a result, I don't know how that affects things. I guess it isn't any of our business, but it is a curiosity of mine. I'm thrilled Vladdie has been able to get such good care and has taken advantage of it.

I bet if this thread was titled..."Fetisov claims limo crash was no accident" it would get ALOT more hits. Just sayin...lol

Agreed. 2 minutes on me for poor thread title :( *hangs head and skates to the box* Mods, feel free to change the title.

Isn't Fetisov a member of the Duma? If so, it's probably a part of the offensive against non-Russian foreigners. I'm never a conspiracy theorist, but Putin is all about cultural battles and any dig at a Canadian or American business, related to hockey, right before the Olympics, is probably part of a concerted effort.

Guest Playmaker

Slava has changed since he became politician...

He has long lost a lot of respect from many people who idolized him...

Well, at least he was a good man once.

Perhaps, but that the Wings sort of walked away from Vladdie, while raking in millions, is somewhat dooshy if you ask me. I thought the Wings/Ilitches had more class than that. They certainly are fooling a lot of people. So I'm with him on that one. Seeing is he is the only un brain injured person to survive the limo crash, he's the only one who can really say what exactly happened.

Slava has changed since he became politician...

He has long lost a lot of respect from many people who idolized him...

Well, at least he was a good man once.

Perhaps, but that the Wings sort of walked away from Vladdie, while raking in millions, is somewhat dooshy if you ask me. I thought the Wings/Ilitches had more class than that. They certainly are fooling a lot of people. So I'm with him on that one. Seeing is he is the only un brain injured person to survive the limo crash, he's the only one who can really say what exactly happened.

How have they walked away from him?

Guest Playmaker

According the Fetisov, the Wings made decisions that affected Vladdie's long term care. With the Wings saying it isn't a team event implies they didn't take financial responsibility. If that is indeed the case, then I feel like they did walk away from him.

According the Fetisov, the Wings made decisions that affected Vladdie's long term care. With the Wings saying it isn't a team event implies they didn't take financial responsibility. If that is indeed the case, then I feel like they did walk away from him.

So you're basing it all on Fetisov saying something. Given the fact that he has high level care, is given access to the owner's personal luxury suite several times a year, is flown in for major team events, the team sold patches to raise money for him and Sergei, and they promote his charity, I'm assuming that they didn't walk away.

Guest Playmaker

Since Fetisov was in the accident, played with the Red Wings and has known Konstantiov most of his life, I would tend to think he'd know better than anyone. When asked about it, Jimmy Devellano didn't say that Fetisov was wrong, only that Vladdie seemed to be doing well and happy, but didn't dispute what Fetisov said. I would think if the Red Wing organization provided for his medical care, that it would have been vehemently disputed.

The people who purchased the patches, the Red Wing fans, supported him, not the Red Wings organization. He lives in the Detroit area, so he doesn't have to be flown in from anywhere. I don't really see letting Vladdie sit in his box as any kind of big financial sacrifice on the part of the Red Wings organization.

While he is doing well considering his situation, if he had to wait to get therapy or medical care due to finances, waiting for a law suit or insurance settlement, especially early on, and the Red Wings didn't take financial responsibility for it, selling patches and giving him access to Mike Ilitch's luxury box doesn't make up for that. Its hard to understand especially considering all the figure head jobs they've given to former players of late like Draper, Maltby, Chelios, etc.

From the Wings website written in 2009:

(During the civil suit against the car dealership that sold the limo to Gnida’s employer, Konstantinov’s trial lawyer argued that the dealership was
negligent because the seat belts were inaccessible. After 90 minutes of deliberation, an eight-member jury ruled in favor of the dealership.) Konstantinov received a share of a $2 million judgment from the limo owner’s insurance carrier, which under Michigan no-fault law is also paying his medical, rehab, and residential care expenses.

I may be remembering this wrong so I'm putting this out for those who may remember in hopes that someone will confirm or refute this.

As I recall, Vladdy was amongst those benefiting from the Toast of Hockeytown and other fund-raising charitable events when he was first injured and began his rehab up until his lawsuit against Gnida and/or the limo company was settled.

As far as responsibility, I'd think that the NHLPA would be more beholden to help than the team, but I can see why the team (and owners) would have a personal reason to step up and help.

In the end, we don't owe each other (outside of our families) anything. Rising up and giving to each other out of the goodness of our hearts is what makes us realize the good that is out there and gives us incentive to carry on and contribute to help those who need it in the hope that they will continue as they are able.

In the end, we don't owe each other (outside of our families) anything. Rising up and giving to each other out of the goodness of our hearts is what makes us realize the good that is out there and gives us incentive to carry on and contribute to help those who need it in the hope that they will continue as they are able.

"liked" for this. beautifully said.

as for vladdy, it seems to me that the wings still very much care about him.

it's such a shame that he couldn't play out his career.