• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,513 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 10:21 PM

Right. They're a business. Maybe they paid a big chunk at the time but they weren't liable for the accident. I never assumed they ever paid for his care, never crossed my mind. They've done all right by Vladdy, I think. I hope.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#22 vladdy16

vladdy16

The rest are neophytes.

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 6,157 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 10:55 PM

From the Wings website written in 2009:

(During the civil suit against the car dealership that sold the limo to Gnida’s employer, Konstantinov’s trial lawyer argued that the dealership was
negligent because the seat belts were inaccessible. After 90 minutes of deliberation, an eight-member jury ruled in favor of the dealership.) Konstantinov received a share of a $2 million judgment from the limo owner’s insurance carrier, which under Michigan no-fault law is also paying his medical, rehab, and residential care expenses. 

Can't wait to read the "Phoenix: I still think it's a hockey market" chapter of Gary Bettman's autobiography. I'm guessing it's going to be chapter 11.

- mjlegend 3/9/2011

#23 GoalieManPat

GoalieManPat

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 11:12 PM

Slava really comes off as an ass in this. I guess its true that politics turns even the best of men into douches. 

#24 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,872 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 12:13 AM

I may be remembering this wrong so I'm putting this out for those who may remember in hopes that someone will confirm or refute this.

As I recall, Vladdy was amongst those benefiting from the Toast of Hockeytown and other fund-raising charitable events when he was first injured and began his rehab up until his lawsuit against Gnida and/or the limo company was settled.

As far as responsibility, I'd think that the NHLPA would be more beholden to help than the team, but I can see why the team (and owners) would have a personal reason to step up and help. 

In the end, we don't owe each other (outside of our families) anything.  Rising up and giving to each other out of the goodness of our hearts is what makes us realize the good that is out there and gives us incentive to carry on and contribute to help those who need it in the hope that they will continue as they are able.

#25 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,619 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 11:52 AM

In the end, we don't owe each other (outside of our families) anything.  Rising up and giving to each other out of the goodness of our hearts is what makes us realize the good that is out there and gives us incentive to carry on and contribute to help those who need it in the hope that they will continue as they are able.

"liked" for this. beautifully said.

as for vladdy, it seems to me that the wings still very much care about him.

it's such a shame that he couldn't play out his career.

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#26 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 12:32 PM

I don't think it's the Wings responsibility to take care of him for the rest of his life

Maybe not, but it does seem to be the human thing to do.  I think holding "fundraisers" and asking blue collar fans to foot the bill for Vladdie's care (and Sergei Mnatsakonov) when you have an owner worth 4 billion dollars is in somewhat poor taste. Kind of like Wal-Mart holding holiday food drives for their employees.  I just don't think Ilitch is quite the martyr he's made out to be.

#27 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,709 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 12:46 PM

Maybe not, but it does seem to be the human thing to do.  I think holding "fundraisers" and asking blue collar fans to foot the bill for Vladdie's care (and Sergei Mnatsakonov) when you have an owner worth 4 billion dollars is in somewhat poor taste. Kind of like Wal-Mart holding holiday food drives for their employees.  I just don't think Ilitch is quite the martyr he's made out to be.

I think that's a a very easy/ignorant (albeit popular) position to take for the average joe. 

You can't judge a successful wealthy person for not being a full-out philanthropist.  You can applaud them for being one though.

Just because he is wealthy, does not make him responsible. 

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#28 vladdy16

vladdy16

The rest are neophytes.

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 6,157 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 12:54 PM

Here's what we know:

1)  Vladdy's medical bills are being paid for by the limo's insurance company.

2)  Fundraisers were held for at least two years following the accident.

Anything else is pure conjecture on our parts.  Fetisov has no proof of anything, there is nothing online that's recent, no one here lives with Konstantinov and no one here is Mike Ilitch.  We're all welcome to our opinions and gut feelings, but that's all they are at this point.  We shouldn't lambaste anyone without having a shred of something concrete to go on.

Can't wait to read the "Phoenix: I still think it's a hockey market" chapter of Gary Bettman's autobiography. I'm guessing it's going to be chapter 11.

- mjlegend 3/9/2011

#29 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,974 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 01:25 PM

Fetisov has no proof of anything

To be fair, we can't be totally sure of that.

Don't Toews me, bro!

#30 vladdy16

vladdy16

The rest are neophytes.

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 6,157 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 01:43 PM

Fair enough.  Left me rephrase:

Fetisov presented no proof of anything.

- mjlegend 3/9/2011

#31 PumpkinEscobar

PumpkinEscobar

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 01:50 PM

I think that's a a very easy/ignorant (albeit popular) position to take for the average joe. 

You can't judge a successful wealthy person for not being a full-out philanthropist.  You can applaud them for being one though.

Ilitch hasn't an ounce of responsibility for him...whatever he did for Vladdie was because he chose too. Like I said before, Vladdie looks like he is being taken care of one way or another

#32 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,709 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 02:25 PM

Ilitch hasn't an ounce of responsibility for him...whatever he did for Vladdie was because he chose too. Like I said before, Vladdie looks like he is being taken care of one way or another

That's what I said...

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#33 Internet.Unknown

Internet.Unknown

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 06:49 PM

There's nothing wrong with asking people of any income level to donate/give charitably. Demanding or making it mandatory is where it becomes troublesome. Always be wary of those who volunteer to spend other people's money.

#34 PumpkinEscobar

PumpkinEscobar

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 07:39 PM

That's what I said...

I'm agreeing with you

#35 Playmaker

Playmaker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 07:52 PM

Well, I'm not ignorant, nor average  ;) To me, its about treating people how you would want them to treat you.  I'm not talking about the Ilitch family being responsible for every bozo who needs money or supporting every single charity out there.  But Vladdie wasn't exactly a no name employee. He played a huge role in Ilitch living his dream of winning a Stanley Cup.   If he had to wait any length of time to get any kind of medical care or therapy due to lack of funds and the Ilitch family didn't step up, while playing on the emotions of the fans and expecting them to, it's shameful.

#36 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,362 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 08:15 PM

Well, I'm not ignorant, nor average   ;) To me, its about treating people how you would want them to treat you.  I'm not talking about the Ilitch family being responsible for every bozo who needs money or supporting every single charity out there.  But Vladdie wasn't exactly a no name employee. He played a huge role in Ilitch living his dream of winning a Stanley Cup.   If he had to wait any length of time to get any kind of medical care or therapy due to lack of funds and the Ilitch family didn't step up, while playing on the emotions of the fans and expecting them to, it's shameful.

There is absolutely zero evidence that happened, and by all outward appearances he received all necessary care from day 1.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#37 Inultus

Inultus

Slush ****

• PipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:32 PM

If the players knew the limo driver had a previous DUI and no valid driver's license they were dumb for getting in the car with him.

The insurance company has absolutely no excuse for not knowing the driver wasn't legal.  They paid for all medical expenses.  End of story.  The team stood by Vladdy but they don't "owe" him anything.

"It's been six years since we won the Cup. That's too long." -Nick Lidstrom

"my message is simple: The next time anyone runs any of our guys in a way that shouldn't be done, then a message will be sent. I'm not going to go out and run your skill guys, your superstars. I'm going to go right to the guy (who did it), and fair justice is fair justice." -Downey

#38 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,954 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 01:37 PM

@Bill_Roose: Former #RedWings D-man Slava Fetisov is among eight Russian dignitaries carrying the 100-year-old Olympic flag into stadium at #Sochi2014.

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

#39 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,362 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 01:41 PM

Old Russian saying: What a bear does in woods is same as what spills from politician mouth

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!