• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
HadThomasVokounOnFortSt

NHL 14

Rate this topic

Demo comes out Tuesday, anyone excited for this game?

I used to be excited about NHL X but that time is long gone, so here is what I expect:

- slightly improved textures if even that

- former gone features now being introduced as new and super-gameplay relevant

- better music pool of artists

- incomplete rosters

so basically a rushed version of NHL 13 with some updates. Why can't companies just pass 1 year, release an updated roster and come back with a real improved one in 2 or maybe 3 years? That's just mind boggling.

Bought the one two years ago, and was disappointed with all the freezing bullcrap.

There's no reason to buy any sports game annually. They're fun to play, but no reason to update them every year.

The fight engine looks cool, though. Finally.

Edited by GMRwings1983

I think FrankGrimes about summed it up. Especially must consider that this is the final NHL game of this generation, as they are already working on the development of next gen hockey, even less effort will be going into NHL 14.

With that said, I will likely be skipping this year because of what Frank mentioned and reasons above. I'm already a bit more excited for NHL 15 when everything is rebuilt from the ground up and everything is improved all around. I won't be shelling out another $60 this year for minor tweaks and existing problems going overlooked.

Guest Crymson

NHL 12 and NHL 13 were travesties, and I don't expect NHL 14 to be any better. The withdrawal of 2K Games from the next-gen console hockey market removed any impetus for EA to be innovative or even really to care; I wouldn't be surprised if the EA NHL team got cut in half after NHL '10. Ever since EA gained a monopoly in that area, each successive game has been similarly lacking in polish and has been differentiated from its predecessor by mostly inconsequential features just numerous enough to seem substantial; no doubt EA holds back features every year so that they may be put in the next iteration, or perhaps the one after that, and so the games are never as good as they could be. More, EA fails utterly to address the major issues that have plagued the series for years, and is generally awful at patching the games even when gamebreaking bugs are apparent.

I played NHL '09, '10, and '11 religiously, but NHL '12 was so terrible that I dropped it after six weeks, and I barely gave NHL '13 a shot at all. I certainly won't be blowing my money on NHL '14. EA Sports has been voted worst company in America in a major poll for two years running, and that tag is well deserved. Unfortunately, the number of people who buy the games is still more than sufficient enough for the company to never make any changes in its methods.

Oh well.

Edited by Crymson

I'm not buying anymore games until the PS4 comes out. It would be a waste of money at this point. That said, EA Sports makes some of the worst hockey games and fail to include even modest updates to make the experience feel more "real" to the player.

I'm not buying anymore games until the PS4 comes out. It would be a waste of money at this point. That said, EA Sports makes some of the worst hockey games and fail to include even modest updates to make the experience feel more "real" to the player.

What's a bigger waste of money is you going to buy a PS4! ;)

I wouldn't even say it's hockey but Madden is just about as worse when it comes to games.

Is GTA 5 coming out on the PS4?

If not, I'd never wait to get the PS4, since Rockstar Games only releases GTA every 4 or 5 years.

Now with a game like NHL 15, I can see you waiting, since some improvements are bound to occur on the new system.

Edited by GMRwings1983

I mean.. how many years has it been since the backhand forehand breakaway move was labeled as a "glitch" because when executed properly it will go in 100% of the time. Same with the short side drag wrister over the goalies shoulder. Yet both still exist, playing the NHL 14 demo, they are both as unfairly effective as they have been in previous years. I don't know EA, maybe FIX this?

And I agree its the same as Madden and Call of Duty games, minimal change or improvements, just the constant recycling of the same game on the same engine that performs the same way year after year to milk out a profit. But as long as people are buying them every single year, which they are, they will continue to do so because minimal effort at maximum profit is ideal for any company.

I continue to hope that 2k decides to throw themselves back out there and develop hockey games again next gen, i'd like to have the option again as I used to rotate on which one i'd purchase each year. NFL 2k games were always superior to Madden in my opinion, and there were a few solid NHL 2k titles along the way also. When there is really only one option that exists, you are left with a "take it or leave it" mentality from the developers, and I think that's about where EA sits now.

Is GTA 5 coming out on the PS4?

If not, I'd never wait to get the PS4, since Rockstar Games only releases GTA every 4 or 5 years.

Now with a game like NHL 15, I can see you waiting, since some improvements are bound to occur on the new system.

Honestly, I don't buy/play very many video games so the next game I buy will probably be something for the new system. The games that I do play, I play on PC mostly anyway.

Call of Duty games, minimal change or improvements, just the constant recycling of the same game on the same engine that performs the same way year after year to milk out a profit. But as long as people are buying them every single year, which they are, they will continue to do so because minimal effort at maximum profit is ideal for any company.

All Call of Duty is just new maps, maybe a few new guns that you have to pay extra to use. Me and a couple friends played quite a few games over the weekend since it was double xp, and the hosting was awful in every single lobby we went to.

The last call of duty I've played was version 4 since then I'll never tough this crappy game again, I hate the company behind it I loathe Kotdork.

It's really too bad other studios aren't producing NHL games how about Konami or 2k sports. Sadfully there are still enough people outthere, to buy that crap every year.

I'd be all for a new NHL Hitz game, Konami actually built a fun hockey game back in the day and i'm confident they could still produce something of quality. I mean it's a video game after all, it doesn't HAVE TO be sim hockey, it can be a bit over the top and I don't mind as long as it plays tight and it's fun.

It's getting easier these days to pinpoint what developers care about creating good games and what ones only want to make money.

I'd be all for a new NHL Hitz game, Konami actually built a fun hockey game back in the day and i'm confident they could still produce something of quality. I mean it's a video game after all, it doesn't HAVE TO be sim hockey, it can be a bit over the top and I don't mind as long as it plays tight and it's fun.

It's getting easier these days to pinpoint what developers care about creating good games and what ones only want to make money.

Konami has done a really good job of providing a simulation feeling for games. Granted I am by far not a soccer fan but PES has been a great franchise for the most part (still playing the 06 version). Hockey doesn't need all these crazy licences espeically not on the PC, since patches can be easily installed and modified.

You are right about developers who care about making a great game (Grinding Game Gears with Path of EXile) or those who want to rip you off with every game I am looking at Blizzard.

I really hate the NHL for renewing the licence with EA highly doubt I am going to buy another version even for the Ps 4.

Guest Crymson

My favorite was NHL 2000.

I miss being able to roof backhanded shots from the point!

That's not out of the question in NHL 13. In response to complaints about the goalies being terrible, EA jacked their abilities up to inhuman proportions (

); they'll make ridiculous save after ridiculous save, but then they'll get beaten by a weak backhand from the point.

That's not out of the question in NHL 13. In response to complaints about the goalies being terrible, EA jacked their abilities up to inhuman proportions (example); they'll make ridiculous save after ridiculous save, but then they'll get beaten by a weak backhand from the point.

That actually just happened to me today. A weak back hand from the point (never left the ice), and it somehow went 5 hole on Howard and that's how the kid beat me.

I got the EA season ticket again this year and have 9 days off from the early release date so I'll try to remember to head back in here to give you guys the low down. From the demo, this game feels like a monumental improvement on that complete pile of garbage NHL 13 was. I'll be having fun with that Live the Life and GM mode mainly for the first few days and once I unlock most of the equipment and what not I'll join the rest of the world online when the actual physical copy comes out.

Konami has done a really good job of providing a simulation feeling for games. Granted I am by far not a soccer fan but PES has been a great franchise for the most part (still playing the 06 version). Hockey doesn't need all these crazy licences espeically not on the PC, since patches can be easily installed and modified.

You are right about developers who care about making a great game (Grinding Game Gears with Path of EXile) or those who want to rip you off with every game I am looking at Blizzard.

I really hate the NHL for renewing the licence with EA highly doubt I am going to buy another version even for the Ps 4.

I just gave them more money><

Did anyone purchase the game? interested to know the player types and overall stats of all the Red Wings

Picked up the game last night at midnight. Played one game online and made the kid quit before I could even get half way through 1st period (up 3-0, of course). Red Wings overall rating is extremely high. OFF/DEF/GOA are all 4 and half stars. Haven't checked on each players yet, when I go back on later tonight I will check into that.

I didn't realize it was coming out yesterday, but I picked it up on the way home from work for 360. I think this version has a lot of physics improvements and the skating has really improved since last year. NHL 13 everyone skated like Dan Cleary, it was annoying and almost too realistic in that regard.

When I started the game up it went through the normal settings: whats your favorite team, etc. However, it also had different 'modes' I guess you could call them. The options were High Impact, Simulation, and Hardcore Simulation. If I understand these correctly, they alter the way the game is played. High Impact focuses more on hits and arcade style games while sim and hardcore sim make it more like a simulator and realistic. I chose hardcore sim.

I actually really like the way this version of the game so far. I've only been buying them consistently for the last 6 years or so, and they usually add a thing or two: board battles, improved faceoffs, etc. This year the game seems more refined than any of the previous I have played.

One thing to keep in mind, it actually makes more sense to develop a core engine and add to that every year fixing 'glitches' (which half of the time are high probability shots) so that way you are constantly improving on that engine. If they start from the ground up, it will take 5-6 years for the game to be as refined as it is today. No matter how you slice it, starting over is starting over. It's like buying a first year car, it's bounds to have some quirks.