Photo
- - - - -

If Datsyuk returns Thursday, who's up next to sit?

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#41 PumpkinEscobar

PumpkinEscobar

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 05:55 PM

Sheahan is the only player on the roster, that isn't going to the Olympics, that can play in Grand Rapids and that's where he'll be during the break

#42 stillwater

stillwater

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 05:59 PM

Then again there's Andersson and Glendening.

#43 PumpkinEscobar

PumpkinEscobar

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 06:07 PM

Then again there isn't

http://www.mlive.com...vel_datsyu.html

#44 stillwater

stillwater

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 06:21 PM

But Weiss can go ... that's strange.

#45 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 06:23 PM

Who would I prefer to be sent back down? Glendening. Who will likely be sent back down? Sheahan or Jurco. I hate to see the line broken up but that's likely going to be how it goes.

http://www.rotoworld...1/pavel-datsyuk

(Pavels return on Thursday or Saturday is speculative at this point, hence the topic title change until more confirmed news is posted.)

I'm gonna look at this on the other side of the coin.  Glendening should be our 4th line centre for the next 15 years.  May as well keep him there.  Jurco projects as top 6.  While I don't want to break up the kid line, it would make more sense for Jurco to play as much as possible and have him go to GR for top line minutes.  Eaves is also playing really good on the 4th line with Miller and Glendening and that line is producing as well.  The only line I'm not liking, and the only reason I'm not liking it is Andersson and the 3rd line.  If Andersson were moved to say, Edmonton for a pick and Abs moved down to the 3rd line with Helm and Alfie, and Dats came back to play with Z and Nyquist, then no one has to get sent down and our team is lethal with the kid line untouched and just as importantly, our 4th line that finally has some identity doesn't get touched.  Dats and Z are back together with Nyquist and the fire that's under his ass and our 3rd line which has been the only line that isn't clicking, would get one of the hardest workers in the NHL in Abs to be reunited with Helm and then we have another 2 kids and a goat as our 3rd line.  

Then all is well.  Hopefully everyone can follow the mess that spilled from my head to my laptop.  :ok:

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#46 PumpkinEscobar

PumpkinEscobar

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 06:29 PM

Weiss is skating with the Whalers

#47 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 06:44 PM

We still have to clear a salary off our books before they return.  So waive someone on the way out or trade someone of value.

I don't see Holland "trading anyone he sees here in the future" so waiving Cleary now would maximize the cap relief. (little as it is)

Considering that, it does make sense.  I don't think they'll do it though.

Academic now, in light of the news on Kindl, however...

We only need to clear space when Weiss and Franzen are back. (Technically, we're only claiming LTIR exemption for Weiss, but if Franzen is going to be out even after the break we could retro-actively claim it for him too.)

Waiving Cleary now (as opposed to later) does absolutely nothing for our cap situation. We'd still be using the LTIR exemption, just less of it. But you don't get to save any that you don't use, so there's no benefit in that.

Eventually, assuming we do get healthy and there are no salary-dump trades, we'll have to demote Sheahan, Jurco, Cleary, plus one of Miller or Eaves (or both if we want to keep a kid) to be cap compliant. That assumes no one would claim Cleary (or Bert if we waived him).

Now that I've looked, we have the space to keepGlendening (and we wouldn't get any real benefit from demoting him, since he has such a small hit), so he'll likely be here for the rest of the year.

#48 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,563 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 06:52 PM

Luke Glendening is a fine fill in at 4C. He should not be the regular there unless he drastically improves on draws and finds even a hint of offense.

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#49 stillwater

stillwater

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 07:13 PM

Luke Glendening is a fine fill in at 4C. He should not be the regular there unless he drastically improves on draws and finds even a hint of offense.

I feel the same way, but I do like his gritty element and his penchant for getting into the face of the opponents. In a perfect world Helm would be the 4th line center.

#50 ash11

ash11

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 08:39 PM

kindl is injured, no one needs to be sent down for tomorrow