• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Nevermind

Miller vs. Eaves

Rate this topic

Miller/Eaves  

78 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I've always sort of compared these two players in terms of their roles on the team, so I was wondering if others do the same.

It appears that Eaves may be scratched tomorrow night if Datsyuk returns. Though Miller is a great penalty killer, I like Eaves' 5 on 5 play better. He's a bit bigger, more physical, has a good shot, can be used on the power play, and is one of only three righties on the team right now (Glendening and Alfredsson being the others). I think Eaves brings more enthusiasm and energy to the forecheck as well.

In the long term, who would you guys rather have in the lineup? It's also worth noting that we have Andersson on the wing right now. I wouldn't exempt him from sitting a game here and there, but Babcock seems to really like him.

Eaves.

For all the reasons you said, good 5on5, right handed shot, still a great pk-er, better forechecker, awesome shot if/when he

uses it. But most importantly IMO, He's much faster.

I think the red wings would've chosen him over miller if patty hadn't had the string of injuries and concussion.

Edited by jimmyemeryhunter

I have always liked Eaves more. Unfortunately, not being healthy has hampered his ability to consistently be in the lineup like Miller. I think it is redundant to have both with a logjam at forward, but Eaves brings more to the team overall.

I would keep both Miller and Eaves over Andersson, though.

Gotta go with Miller for his body of work and reliability with the Wings. He's been flat-out our best penalty killer for years.

Eaves is eligible for waivers now and I don't think he would clear at this time if exposed.

Besides, lots up players raise their game in their contract year. Miller has been consistent for years.

It's almost a wash. Both good PKers but I'd give the edge to Miller. I don't know exact stats but Miller looks a bit heavier. Eaves is quicker, more offense and a right handed shot.

I like both of them but I'd prefer Eaves to stay. Come playoff time I can see Eaves throwing his body around and being a force like he was against Chicago. Miller is safe and reliable but not a lot of edge

It's almost a wash. Both good PKers but I'd give the edge to Miller. I don't know exact stats but Miller looks a bit heavier. Eaves is quicker, more offense and a right handed shot.

I like both of them but I'd prefer Eaves to stay. Come playoff time I can see Eaves throwing his body around and being a force like he was against Chicago. Miller is safe and reliable but not a lot of edge

I feel this is a big misconception just because he has played the point on the powerplay. The difference is negligible.

I feel this is a big misconception just because he has played the point on the powerplay. The difference is negligible.

Well Miller has played a lot more games than Eaves. To me he looks like an offensive threat out there more so than Miller.

I just think of his game against Chicago and to me I think he can put a playoff run together at that level. He has all the tools

Why not keep both though?

Guest Playmaker

I think one of the more overlooked bonehead moves that Holland made over the summer was signing Miller to a long term deal. With the roster and cap issues we had, it made no sense. We already had Eaves under contract this year and for cheap. I like Miller just fine and I wouldn't mind having both of them if the cap/roster allowed, but re-signing him to a long term deal just didn't make sense.

Ah, things are getting back to normal now. Age old arguments are re-emerging. Feels good, doesn't it?

I still can't choose between them. Miller is of course steady. He's a great 4th liner and has a few big games each year. Eaves has had some injury problems recently which has hampered his play a bit. Eaves, on paper, has more skill, but he doesn't always show up on the score sheet as often as he should. A few years back they were both invaluable. Now, I think Miller might have the edge, but it might only be because Eaves is still getting into the groove of playing with the big club again.

Man, it's been a weird year.

Well Miller has played a lot more games than Eaves. To me he looks like an offensive threat out there more so than Miller.

I just think of his game against Chicago and to me I think he can put a playoff run together at that level. He has all the tools

Why not keep both though?

I don't know, looking at their numbers they've been pretty even, and even this season Eaves is on pace for about the same as what Miller is at right now.

Miller. Ferraro/Callahan will take 4th line RW next season.

Ferraro will be lucky if he's the 14th forward and Callahan will be a reserve. Either Sheahan or Andersson will be 4C and the other or Abdelkader will be the other wing with Miller.

Eaves, any day.

I like Miller a lot, and I'd rather see both in the lineup at their price points. I'd like to see more money spent on top line guys that will actually play, contribute and make players around them better, and less spent on the mid-level guys that don't produce much more than guys like Eaves and Miller, are possibly more one-dimensional, or the latest trend, aren't even good enough to crack the lineup. We used to be good at getting top end talent and getting a lot out of our cheap talent like Eaves and Miller. Our cheaper guys played more like mid-level guys, and again, still oftentimes do. But the last few years, we continue to sign mid-level guys that just don't contribute enough to justify their price tags let alone their roster spots in some cases. It's a practice that really needs to stop.

Let's also not forget that Eaves has a great attitude and work ethic and comes from a good hockey family. He's also got a lot more skill than many realize. If not for injuries and a wildly inconsistent role, I think he'd likely have more impressive offensive numbers at this point than he does. I hope we trim some of the mid-level fat this summer and keep Eaves with this team, and in a way that will allow him to have a consistent role if he's healthy. If he sticks around and stays healthy, I think he'll surprise a lot of people the next couple of years.

But again, I don't say any of this to take away from Miller. I like Miller a lot at his price point and I'd absolutely be doing all I can to keep those guys Red Wings for the long haul. They're both really solid role players at great price points that stand to be important parts of this team for some time to come.

Loved Eaves in Ottawa and love him here. They both joined the team at the same time in 2009/10. However, Miller is so key to our PK. Patty has the offensive upside, but Miller has a much better defensive game. Injury history doesn't help Eaves case any either. I'd like to keep both, but if I have to choose, I would keep Miller.