Photo
- - - - -

Steven Stamkos will not play for Team Canada at the Sochi Olympics.

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

Poll: Steven Stamkos will not play for Team Canada at the Sochi Olympics.

How do you think will replace Stamkos?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 jimmyemeryhunter

jimmyemeryhunter

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 09:20 PM

St. Louis deserves it, and it'll probably be his last chance at the olympics.

#22 GoalieManPat

GoalieManPat

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,364 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 07:28 AM

A rusty Stamkos vs MSL whos got a point in all but 2 games since Jan 7? Easy decision for in a quick tournament. 

#23 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,629 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 08:53 AM

i want to say st. louis to see him get one more chance at the world stage but i think it'll be giroux.

either way, canada has plenty of capable replacements.

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#24 Smite

Smite

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 08:54 AM

Steven Stamkos of the Tampa Bay Lightning will be speaking to the media on Thursday about not being cleared to play in the NHL and the Olympics. Watch live coverage on TSN2 and TSN.ca at 11:30am et/8:30am pt.

Really, I am Canadian and know how hockey crazy this country is but do we need a press conference for this?

"When the cast comes off, I ask my doctor, 'Have I recovered so I can play the violin?' The doctor says, 'But of course you can play the violin.' I say, 'Wow, this is great. Before this injury, I could never play violin at all. I must break the other hand so I can play guitar.'" –Pavel Datsuk on breaking his hand

#25 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,460 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 10:58 AM

I know St. Louis is the popular choice, but I'm not so sure they'll go with him.  I wouldn't be surprised if they went with Neal.  They lost their best pure goal scorer in Stamkos and Neal is probably the best pure goal scorer in the league behind Stamkos and Ovechkin....he's at least Canada's best.

#26 Smite

Smite

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 10:59 AM

4863e47f6d094847d3c0d46d6fd894a4_bigger.

Martin St-Louis has been named to the #TeamCanada roster for #Sochi2014, replacing Steven Stamkos.

"When the cast comes off, I ask my doctor, 'Have I recovered so I can play the violin?' The doctor says, 'But of course you can play the violin.' I say, 'Wow, this is great. Before this injury, I could never play violin at all. I must break the other hand so I can play guitar.'" –Pavel Datsuk on breaking his hand

#27 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,843 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 11:16 AM

Right choice Stevo Neal is a punk and just benefiting like Kunitz from playing with the best player in the world.

Now the only remaining question is, will MSL accept or decline because of what happened 1 month ago.

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#28 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,829 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 11:26 AM

St. Louis should never have been left off the team in the first place. He deserves to go the most.

"He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero. Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there." ~ Franzen 

#29 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,756 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 11:28 AM

Right choice Stevo Neal is a punk and just benefiting like Kunitz from playing with the best player in the world.

Now the only remaining question is, will MSL accept or decline because of what happened 1 month ago.

What in the world gives you the idea he would decline??

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#30 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,460 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 12:25 PM

I agree, Neal is a punk, but there is no denying his shot / release.  He benefits from playing with Malkin the same as Kunitz does playing with Crosby, but Neal has all-world skill in the shot department.

In terms of MSL....he's not 6 years old, he understands the process and as upset as he may have been, there is no way he'd be bitter and not want to play.

#31 BadgerBob

BadgerBob

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 12:29 PM

St. Louis is one of the classiest players in the league. Even if he was a bit salty about it, no way would he decline. Also last chance to play for your country, I don't see him saying no.

I agree, Neal is a punk, but there is no denying his shot / release.  He benefits from playing with Malkin the same as Kunitz does playing with Crosby, but Neal has all-world skill in the shot department.

Yes, the reflexes in his knee are second to none, especially when someone's head is near by! :sigh:

Edited by BadgerBob, 06 February 2014 - 12:30 PM.

#32 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,612 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 01:30 PM

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#33 PavelValerievichDatsyuk

PavelValerievichDatsyuk

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 01:45 PM

I wonder if St. Louis actually play or whether Carter is moved up into lineup and St. Louis is the extra forward.

#34 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,525 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 02:32 PM

Good decision by Yzerman.  I hope that Datsyuk will do the same should the medical experts advise it.

Putin might have a different opinion.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#35 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 02:36 PM

bummer about Stamkos but well deserved replacement. 

#36 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,756 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 03:46 PM

In related news Gaborik is out of the Olympics and H Sedin is very doubtful.  

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#37 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,157 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 03:47 PM

Absolutely incredible

#38 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,543 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 06:18 PM

Wow! All the other teams are secretly glad he's staying home to heal! 

#39 L3T5G0W1NG5

L3T5G0W1NG5

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 10:42 AM

It sucks that Stamkos will miss the Olympics, but we will easily win gold *again* without him.

crosby-s-golden-goal-o.gif

#40 sibiriak

sibiriak

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,643 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 11:10 AM

It sucks that Stamkos will miss the Olympics, but we will easily win gold *again* without him.

Canada may win the gold again, but it ain't gonna be easy