• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Dabura

Gustav Nyquist Appreciation Thread

Rate this topic

The thing is, with our best players out, Babs is doing what has to be done to give us a chance to win. Thats why you're seeing the Glendening line with so much ice time. That line is out to play against the other teams best players. The Mule line is the line the other team will play their best shut down players against. When the other team is playing their bottom 6, that's when Babs will send the kids line out. Nyquist is our hottest scorer, and Babs is making the most of his minutes.

It is easy to scratch your head looking at the stat sheets. But when you really start looking at line matchups and what not, it makes a lot of sense. It is very smart coaching. And it is exactly why Goose is on the kid line and not the #1 line.

I was going to say this. Glendening's line has been doing a hell of a job as a shut down defensive center, that adds a lot of value. If they can keep the other team's top scorers off the score sheet for the most part, Nyquist and Tatar can victimize the other team's less able lines and defensemen.

Another great night for Goose, even though we didn't win. 2 more goals to put in his column, had he played a full season with us, he would be flirting with 40. That gets me very excited for future seasons and what he can provide on a healthy team. Keep it rolling Nyquist, you are a big reason why we remain in contention for a playoff spot.

Another great night for Goose, even though we didn't win. 2 more goals to put in his column, had he played a full season with us, he would be flirting with 40. That gets me very excited for future seasons and what he can provide on a healthy team. Keep it rolling Nyquist, you are a big reason why we remain in contention for a playoff spot.

100%. The Goose running loose, getting Legwand at the trade deadline, and Howard playing a lot more like he did last season are the big 3 reasons they're in it. the Legwand/Mule line aren't scoring every game, but it forces the other team to play their best players either against them or Goose. Without Legwand, we'd have Mule centering Goose, and the team would be scoring a lot less.

If you take Gooses stats since the Olympic break and pro-rate them a full 82 game season, he'd be on pace for over 130 pts this season. I think guys like Yzerman and Crosby do that sort of thing but I can't remember....

Edited by number9

If you take Gooses stats since the Olympic break and pro-rate them a full 82 game season, he'd be on pace for over 130 pts this season. I think guys like Yzerman and Crosby do that sort of thing but I can't remember....

I love goose, but let's not jump ahead of ourselves just yet. If he can be a 30 goal guy, and around a point per game I will be extremely happy

A couple of years ago there was a great deal of concern over our lack of young top 6 forwards. Nyquist is there now and the Kid Line has the potential to be a solid second line. Add Teemu, Mantha and Athanasiou ...not to mention guys like Janmark, Nestrasil, Tverdon, Frk and Nastasiuk and you have an really interesting group.

I think the sky is the limit for Goose. However, like Euro_Twins said I would be extremely happy if he ended up around 30 goals a year. I could see him getting 30G 50A next year playing on the 2nd line instead of the 1st with Z and Dats back.

Second time this year Nyquist is the star of the week.

Nyquist, Lundqvist, Iginla named 'Stars' of week

FIRST STAR – GUSTAV NYQUIST, RW, DETROIT RED WINGS

Nyquist led all players with six goals and tied for the League lead with seven points to help the Red Wings (33-24-14, 80 points) earn seven of a possible eight points and move into the first Wild Card spot in the Eastern Conference. He opened the week with two goals in a 3-2 win over the Toronto Maple Leafs March 18. Nyquist followed that up with 1-1—2, including the primary assist on Daniel Alfredsson's last-second overtime winner, in a 5-4 triumph over the Pittsburgh Penguins March 20. He then scored his fifth game-winning goal of the season in a 3 2 victory over the Minnesota Wild March 22 and capped the week with 2-0—2, his fourth multi-goal game of the season, in a 4-3 overtime loss to the Minnesota Wild March 23. The 24-year-old native of Halmstad, Sweden, has 23-17—40 in 46 games this season, including 7-1—8 during a five-game goal/point streak and a League-leading 18 goals in 23 games since Jan. 20.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=710957&navid=nhl:topheads

The great thing is all nyquists goals are goal scorers goals. No flukey bounces and is just beating goalies He has chances to get 4 goals a game seems like. Almost Datsyuk like hands and helm speed. Unbelievable skill set and the smarts to put it all together. He's just going to add weight and get better and more dynamic. Looks like an elite player. Has a pretty damn good resume for a player his age.

Got to give Gus and babcock lots of credit here. Gus s in one of those zones that few players ever have. he is so hot right now that the flashing red light goes off when he jumps over the boards. He is out performing his past by a ton!

That brings me to Babcock. Gus was a play making C at GR. Babs moved him to wing and asked him to shoot more. Gus agreed and has soared! Great job by both.