• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Dabura

Gustav Nyquist Appreciation Thread

Rate this topic

My only concern is that he's setting people up for unrealistic expectations. He's probably not going to shoot 20% long term so he won't score quite as much.

You might be right.. but, on the other hand, what if he does? D:

My only concern is that he's setting people up for unrealistic expectations. He's probably not going to shoot 20% long term so he won't score quite as much.

You're possibly right. But on the other hand, we all knew he would be good. And he's scoring in so many different ways (unlike someone like Brunner) that it's also unlikely he'll he shut down often. He's so well rounded.

I think we can fairly expect 25 goals a season from him, at least. Entirely possible he scores 30 most years, too.

But I do worry about that sophomore slump year.

IMO he is becoming what Babs wanted fil to become when he moved him to wing. Nyquist is the definition of a coaches player right now. Babs told him in order to be effective he needs to shoot and now Gus fires the puck instead of looking for the pass almost everytime. and now he's producing....

You're possibly right. But on the other hand, we all knew he would be good. And he's scoring in so many different ways (unlike someone like Brunner) that it's also unlikely he'll he shut down often. He's so well rounded.

I think we can fairly expect 25 goals a season from him, at least. Entirely possible he scores 30 most years, too.

But I do worry about that sophomore slump year.

Franzen scores over 25 and he's a bum.

Nyquist isn't shooting more, but he's figured out how to pick his spots.

If he goes down to 15% or 10 % who cares ?

Lets enjoy the moment and what happens in the future happens. But I think him, the kid line are gaining confidence that will go a long ways next year and the year after .....etc etc. Plus we have others in the pipeline!

Was listening to marek v wyshinski they were talking about nyquist's hart credentials. Got me thinking what his stats would have been had he been on the team the entire season he's huge for this team like zetterberg has been I wonder if datsyuk wasn't on the team how z would have been seen as a hart candidate

Justin Bourne's System's Analyst breakdown of Nyquist schooling Chara.

http://blogs.thescore.com/nhl/2014/04/03/systems-analyst-gustav-nyquists-incredible-goal-and-the-bruins-mistakes-that-made-it-possible/

A few excerpts:

Chara sees Nyquist grabbing the puck, and does what the best defenseman in the world do: takes a few strides up, then pivots backwards so as to not allow a bad gap. His long reach allows him to back off earlier than most d-men, meaning he’ll usually be okay body position-wise even if someone gets by his stick.
Hamilton, who has jumped onto the ice, doesn’t seem to realize what’s happening for a couple seconds. He takes a moment scanning before taking any strides.
So Chara gaps up…
n7-590x329.jpg
realizes that he’s flat-footed in a one-on-one versus the meep-meep RoadRunner, and has to get his speed up. That means crossing over, which means…night night. Hamilton, meanwhile, has fully slammed the panic button, but is starting from a stop.
n8-590x329.jpg

What impresses me from Nyquist after this, aside from the raw wheels, is that he doesn’t settle for an outside shot. That’s confidence right there. He cuts in against Chara’s stick to get a better shooting angle…

@mikemorrealeNHL: Gustav Nyquist will likely become the 13th player 24 or younger to lead DET in goals since 24-year-old Sergei Fedorov scored 56 in 1993-94.

*gulp*

If he turns into Federov, I'm gonna lose my s***.