• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Dabura

Gustav Nyquist Appreciation Thread

Rate this topic

Guest Playmaker

I agree. All the GR call ups have been better than expected. But to me, the real unsung hero of the past few months has been Justin Abdelkader. He was just dreadful most of last season, and he has really bounced back and become a far better player than I ever thought he would be.

9 points in 9 games.

The kids are looking good, I am always amazed at how this team churns out NHL talent, top 6 talent even (Nyquist, Tatar) all while drafting way too late in the draft.

They stole Dekeyser (because he never hit the draft), that kid could easily have been a top 10 pick.

Back to Nyqusit:

I am a UMaine fan so the more (talented) Black Bears on the team the better as far as I am concerned.

I love the fact that neither Nyquist or Tatar are afraid of or taken a back by the big stage, they have no fear when it comes to shooting, carrying the puck, or just making plays in general.

I would think it would be tough for a youngster to walk into the Wings locker room with all those vets and not be taken a back or play a little bit more conservative.

Now if we could just find an over the hill vet to sit in the slot and rifle one timers we could have the 2 kids and a goat line again!!!! LOL!

9 points in 9 games.

The kids are looking good, I am always amazed at how this team churns out NHL talent, top 6 talent even (Nyquist, Tatar) all while drafting way too late in the draft.

They stole Dekeyser (because he never hit the draft), that kid could easily have been a top 10 pick.

Back to Nyqusit:

I am a UMaine fan so the more (talented) Black Bears on the team the better as far as I am concerned.

I love the fact that neither Nyquist or Tatar are afraid of or taken a back by the big stage, they have no fear when it comes to shooting, carrying the puck, or just making plays in general.

I would think it would be tough for a youngster to walk into the Wings locker room with all those vets and not be taken a back or play a little bit more conservative.

Now if we could just find an over the hill vet to sit in the slot and rifle one timers we could have the 2 kids and a goat line again!!!! LOL!

9 goals in last 10 games, 14 points

Not that I have any great insight to share on this, but I tend to think it's a number of things...

• Blashill uses very similar - if not identical - systems in Grand Rapids
  • We've got a Grade A locker room, one that is, of course, very friendly to HSE (Highly Skilled Euros)
  • Nyquist and Tatar each came into this season with something to prove, a statement to make, a chip on the shoulder (both of them having had to wait probably a season more than they needed to/should have had to, and Nyquist having had to start this season in GR)
  • ...At the same time, they're not super-hyped-up Top 10 picks, so not necessarily a ton of pressure
  • Generally, if you're gonna be a really small and skilled player in today's NHL (and both Nyquist and Tatar are small), you'd better be damn good and damn sure of yourself, a point which Mickey Redmond has made about Tatar about 15 times this season. Nyquist and Tatar (can we call them NAT? Or TAN?) definitely have the goods, and certainly in Tatar's case there's no shortage of swagger. I think now we're seeing a little more swagger from Nyquist. (Worth noting: Nyquist, though a playmaker more than anything else, has been known as a formidable scoring threat since at least his college days)
  • Z. Captain Clutch. Hank. Mister Emma Andersson. Zeddar-Cheddar. Grizzly Beard. The Most Interesting Man in the World (Early Years). Henrik Zetterberg has got some profoundly sick telepathic chemistry going on with Gustav Nyquist. I could watch these two set each other up on the cycle all. day. long. (DATSOOK WHO???)
  • Wheels. Nyquist has them

I'll also second the Abracadabrabdelkader love, though I've been really high on his potential as a poor man's first-line power forward since last season. He may have hammer hands, and he may make costly, boneheaded mistakes now and then (see: running the Stars' goalie late in the game for absolutely no good reason), but he's always contributing in some way, whether it's leading the team in hits or setting great screens. He makes stuff happen. Which maybe shouldn't be all that surprising, given that he's at That Age now. God help the opposition if he and Helm ever get real hands. Like, with fingers and stuff!

Edited by Dabura

Guest L3T5G0W1NG5

Gus Gus is a class act, did his time in GR without a peep, honed his skills and now... he's found his niche with the best team in the NHL. I couldn't be more proud. :wub:

what-year-it-is-.jpg

Which is why they don't need to break the bank and overpay someone in free agency

I'm satisfied with our forward group. I think they can go head to head with any team when healthy. Next year 20+ goals from Nyquist and Tatar each is not unrealistic at all

Crazy thing is that Sheahan in his first 20 or so games has had a bigger impact than both Nyquist and Tatar had

Ya, cause nyquist and Tatar were brought up as plugs, they didn't get the kind of opportunity sheahan is currently getting in their first while.

It just occurred to me that Nyquist-Zetterberg being even half as dangerous as Datsyuk-Zetterberg could mean wonderful things for our evil match-up schemes.

now we just need to get tatar up with pav.. (if the kid's line ever slows down)

Thought it might be a good time to bring this up again. Kids been awesome this year and has been most of our offense lately. Leading the team in goals and 4th in points with 35 in 43 games in his first "full" season. He's got confidence and is turning into a leader on this team. Way to go, Goose!

Edit: double posted

Edited by nawein