• Please log in to reply
207 replies to this topic

#41 marcaractac

marcaractac

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,315 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 07:25 PM

Simply put: Stop signing over-priced plugs as some consolation price for missing out on true impact players. Hopefully next season we cut some fat, use what we have in our young guys, and sign someone useful to fill important roles - a big bodied scorer and a top-4 defenseman. Looking down the line, the only UFAs that could/should be resigned are Legwand, Alfie, and Gustavsson.

Agreed on Legwand and Alfie, but not Gus. Nothing against him, but he can't stay healthy, and you'd have to think it will be time for Mrazek to be the backup starting next year. He has nothing left to prove in the AHL. It is time for him to star getting more ice time at the NHL level.

#42 Jasper84

Jasper84

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 2,739 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 08:21 PM

Agreed on Legwand and Alfie, but not Gus. Nothing against him, but he can't stay healthy, and you'd have to think it will be time for Mrazek to be the backup starting next year. He has nothing left to prove in the AHL. It is time for him to star getting more ice time at the NHL level.

I would like to see that happen, but history tells me we won't see it for a few more years unfortunately.

#43 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,215 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 08:30 PM

I would like to see that happen, but history tells me we won't see it for a few more years unfortunately.

Which would be a big mistake.  I'm tired of management being so tentative with these players.  I'm not happy about all of the injuries but I'm not upset that's forced management (aka Holland) to play these kids finally in the NHL.  The overripeness has to stop!

#44 canadian wings fan

canadian wings fan

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 09:06 PM

I would definitely be OK with having Mrazek as next season's backup. Like previously stated, Gustavsson can't stay healthy

#45 darkmanx

darkmanx

Toronto's Finest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,617 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 09:41 PM

Kid is incredible. Going to be a great future star for us. He is proving he doesn't need Zetterberg and Datsyuk to put up points which is great.

tumblr_n2lxdwSP2O1s9syubo1_500.png

#46 puckloo39

puckloo39

Champion, MVP and still the best!!!

• HoF Booster
  • 21,447 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 10:46 PM

Just my impression of Gus Gus, but he's what I think of in terms of a Red Wing player.  Respectful, humble, talented, team player -- and will deke the socks off any given goalie, with just a little bit of opportunity. 

I just love this guy.  :wub:

puckloo39dom.jpg

"There is no passion to be found in playing small -- in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living."

Nelson Mandela - RIP  1918-2013

Better than Ever

#47 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,859 posts

Posted 19 March 2014 - 10:48 PM

If he can get stronger on the puck along the boards and down low (like Zetterberg strong), he could be a serious threat.  Not that he isn't now, but I think that could be the one thing that puts him over the top.

#48 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 12:00 AM

Calling him the third most talented skater is an overstatement, but after last season it was pretty clear Nyquist deserved time on Wings, especially after the playoffs.  The only reason he wasn't was his contract status and the team's cap situation. 

Who knows what he would've done for the Wings during that stretch, but I doubt he would've done worse than whoever he would've replaced. 

Not sure it was really all that clear after last season, but regardless; Bert, Sammy, and Tootoo were all signed before last season and unfortunately we weren't able to buy out any of them.

And for some perspective, since it's a little too easy to judge solely on hindsight, stats for Bert and Sammy prior to signing their latest deals:

Bert: 71gp, 14g, 38p

Sammy: 54gp, 14g, 31p

(Even Tootoo was coming off a 30p season, though I think he was signed for a completely different role, and scoring wasn't really a factor.)

They were signed as depth/complementary scorers. Short-term, I believe precisely because of the kids. And it's not like they're in their 50s or anything, and we should have had any reason to suspect they would both miss basically a full year injured, and then be so ineffective after (though I'd say Bert hasn't been horrible). Would have been nice had they been one year deals, but I'd say it was only injuries that really made that an issue.

#49 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,620 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 09:47 AM

Plus look at all that sweet sweet warrior gear! :P

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#50 DannyD

DannyD

Rookie

• Pip
  • 163 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 09:21 PM

Future captain right here folks. Gotta be him or Dekeyser once Z is gone. Goose is willing this to team to victory night in and night out.

#51 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,690 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 09:22 PM

Goose is loose

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#52 ShanahanMan

ShanahanMan

DUUUUUUUUH

• Silver Booster
  • 5,649 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 09:23 PM

And to think,

DAN CLEARY STARTED THE SEASON OVER HIM. 

I HATE JASON WILLIAMS

#53 nawein

nawein

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 09:24 PM

If he can get stronger on the puck along the boards and down low (like Zetterberg strong), he could be a serious threat.  Not that he isn't now, but I think that could be the one thing that puts him over the top.

Then we'd have like Z, and younger faster Z. And I like the sounds of that.

#54 pucktividi

pucktividi

the usual suspect

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 09:30 PM

Future captain right here folks. Gotta be him or Dekeyser once Z is gone. Goose is willing this to team to victory night in and night out.

You know it's gonna be Kronwall and I'm a huge Nytroquist fan

#55 themcityblues

themcityblues

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 09:32 PM

He is a star.  We saw last year in the playoffs.  Now he's maturing into a full-time star.

Edited by themcityblues, 20 March 2014 - 09:32 PM.

#56 nawein

nawein

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 09:35 PM

You know it's gonna be Kronwall and I'm a huge Nytroquist fan

They're both 33, wouldn't be surprised if it's Nyquist.

#57 DannyD

DannyD

Rookie

• Pip
  • 163 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 09:41 PM

They're both 33, wouldn't be surprised if it's Nyquist.

Exactly. They will probably both be leaving the league around the same time. Plus with the way the Wings work I don't envision them having a "stopgap" captain. I think if Kronner is on his last season or two when Z hangs 'em up then they go with a younger guy who can grow with the team and be around for a long time.

#58 number9

number9

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,194 posts

Posted 20 March 2014 - 09:59 PM

Nyquist will probably be around 30 when Z retired. Not like he'll be a kid anymore.

#59 Yzermania

Yzermania

In it to win it like Yzerman.

• PipPipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 02:39 AM

And to think,

DAN CLEARY STARTED THE SEASON OVER HIM.

Who's Dan Cleary?

#60 Dabura

Dabura

Everydayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,997 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 03:16 AM

It was Nyquist's 15th goal in 21 games since Jan. 20, the most in the NHL in the past two months, and his fourth in three games.

http://www.nhl.com/g...vid=DL|NHL|home

Edited by Dabura, 21 March 2014 - 03:17 AM.

Don't Toews me, bro!