• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
BottleOfSmoke

Kris Letang Suffers Stroke

Rate this topic

ANOTHER ONE!

A few years ago I had a stroke, at a young age, while being a very active athlete... Teddy Bruschi (NE Patriot) had one while I was in recovery. Mine was major but I thankfully regained a ton being young, athletic and just plain stubborn.

It's a scary thing to have happen! I mean very scary.

I am very happy to see Letang have a chance of resuming his career as did Teddy Bruschi. I have permanent damage and look hammered drunk when I walk.

I hate seeing stroke gain popularity, but it IS growing, and cringe every time I read it.

Edited by Bramsy

Sometimes it takes something like this to bring a problem to the surface. My husband had a stroke at 33 Scared the absolute hell out of both of us. But it showed something that we knew he had, but hadn't been properly diagnosed. They did an EEG (electroencephalogram), and it showed that he has temporal lobe epilepsy. We knew he had the problem but they told us that up until that time, they didn't really know how to read the EEGs to find it (this was the mid-80's, mind you).

Since then, we know that science has vastly improved. By something like this happening now, it might just have saved his life. Hopefully with time to heal, proper medication and care, he can have a long life. May cut his career short, but in the long run that would probably be a small setback. Good luck, Kris - I hate your team with a purple passion, but I wish you well.

Dabura, if you don't mind, what type of heart condition was it? I ask because about 13 yrs ago, I was diagnosed with a heart condition called Hypertrophic Cardiomyapathy. I had an enlarged muslce in the heart that affected the flow of blood out of the heart. A lot of much younger athletes have this and sometimes, they can go into sudden cardiac arrest and die. That's why there's a push on right now in the metro Detroit area every summer for high school athletes to have tests done to see how their hearts are. I was in my mid-50's when I was diagnosed. I had open heart surgery in 07 at 59 to correct it and so far, seven yrs later I have had no problems, though I was told that eventually I could go into congestive heart failure. So, I was just wondering if yours might be similar to mine. I know there are several forms of Cardiomyapathy, besides the one I had. And to this day, I think it was the same thing Jiri Fisher had when he nearly died during the game several yrs back.

My hubby has cardiomyopathy as well. I've had to learn a lot about this the last few years. I know what you're going through.

Best wishes to Kris, hope for a full recovery and that he can carry on with life and his career. I also hope his team loses miserably, but that's another issue entirely and has nothing to do with him, personally. ;)

I hope the medical staff checked our Monster for this sort of thing, when he had to come out of the crease during the last game, with dizziness. He's so tall, and while i am no medical expert, I wonder about heart issues and circulation problems with people who are tall and gangly like he is. I forget the name of the syndrome but one of you more knowledgeable medicos will know what I am thinking of...

Get better soon, Kris!!

Best wishes to Kris, hope for a full recovery and that he can carry on with life and his career. I also hope his team loses miserably, but that's another issue entirely and has nothing to do with him, personally. ;)

I hope the medical staff checked our Monster for this sort of thing, when he had to come out of the crease during the last game, with dizziness. He's so tall, and while i am no medical expert, I wonder about heart issues and circulation problems with people who are tall and gangly like he is. I forget the name of the syndrome but one of you more knowledgeable medicos will know what I am thinking of...

Get better soon, Kris!!

Marfan's syndrome?