• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Dabura

Lines Thread

Rate this topic

Agreed. I would probably rather have Tatar there too, but I'm not sure Babcock is going to put both him and Nyquist on the same line yet. I think Tatar is going to get eased into a larger role.

I really hope not. Him and goose with Andy would be a deadly third line

While I love andy, I would take a healthy helm centering those two 7 days a week. Think of the speed that would line have and helm is defensive minded like andy.

... But helm isn't even cleared for contact yet, so that is a moot point. Obviously I would love to see helm out there again, but I'm being realistic, he is our best current healthy 3rd line center until the return of the helminator

Ansar Khan@AnsarKhanMLive2m

Wings have assigned Nyquist and Mrazek to Grand Rapids, Ken Holland said.

Man, this is just wrong... Is this a paper move?

Seems like it. Someone has to back up Howie. But it's probably gonna be that way for a bit till someone can get moved off the team or put on ltir

Guest Crymson

Wings have assigned Nyquist and Mrazek to Grand Rapids, Ken Holland said.

Man, this is just wrong... Is this a paper move?

Yes, at least with Mrazek. With Gustavsson's injured, the Wings will have no backup if Mrazek is down. He'll be back. I'm not sure about Nyquist.

#RedWings Babcock: He's a gd player. (Tatar) has a knack for the net. But early going in the season, tie goes to the veteran not to the kid.

#RedWings Babcock: He's a gd player. (Tatar) has a knack for the net. But early going in the season, tie goes to the veteran not to the kid.

Who exactly was the "Tie" with? I want to hear him say Sammy "tied" him... what a joke

Dana Wakiji@FSDwakiji5m[font=Arial

#RedWings Babcock: He's a gd player. (Tatar) has a knack for the net. But early going in the season, tie goes to the veteran not to the kid.[/font]

Who exactly was the "Tie" with? I want to hear him say Sammy "tied" him... what a joke

That's ridiculous! Tatar has been one of the best players on the team this preseason

While I love andy, I would take a healthy helm centering those two 7 days a week. Think of the speed that would line have and helm is defensive minded like andy.

It might as well be a dream though. I'm losing faith in Helm...big time. When he played he was very good for a 3rd center, excellent maybe top in the league 4th line center. IDK...he may just be that hockey player that is no longer able to get back to where he once was, or ever recover at all. Many, many former pro athletes have fallen into this category. No one is at fault, it's just an injury that doesn't go away and ends a career. I'm not counting on him anymore that is for dam sure. IF, IF, he comes back that would be great. Just don't see him coming back and being able to contribute as he once did. My desired line combinations don't have him included.

I can't speak for Babs, obviously - but if we just look at it on the surface, what do those three guys have that Tatar doesn't? Experience (seniority), size, and pretty well-rounded games. I imagine that last one might be the main issue re: Tatar. And, really, it's no big secret that the biggest knock against Tatar, besides his size and his personality/attitude, is that he's a rather one-dimensional player. Which is a nice, euphemistic way of saying his defensive game sucks. Not that I really think that should be a huge issue (it's not like the team as a whole isn't very, very strong defensively and couldn't compensate. And, besides, hes a young goal-scorer. Show me a young goal-scorer with a great two-way game.) But, meh, whatever.

Will this work??

FORWARDS
Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Todd Bertuzzi ($2.075m)
Johan Franzen ($3.955m) / Stephen Weiss ($4.900m) / Daniel Alfredsson ($5.500m)
Tomas Tatar ($0.840m) / Joakim Andersson ($0.733m) / Gustav Nyquist ($0.950m)
Drew Miller ($1.350m) / Justin Abdelkader ($1.800m) / Mikael Samuelsson ($3.000m)
Danny Cleary ($1.750m)

DEFENSEMEN
Niklas Kronwall ($4.750m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($3.250m)
Kyle Quincey ($3.775m) / Jakub Kindl ($2.400m)
Danny DeKeyser ($1.350m) / Brendan Smith ($1.263m)
Brian Lashoff ($0.725m) /

GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($5.292m)
Petr Mrazek ($0.790m)

OTHER
IR: Jordin Tootoo
IR: Darren Helm
IR: Patrick Eaves
IR: Jonas Gustavsson

Will this work??

FORWARDS

Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Todd Bertuzzi ($2.075m)

Tomas Tatar ($0.840m) / Joakim Andersson ($0.733m) / Gustav Nyquist ($0.950m)

Drew Miller ($1.350m) / Justin Abdelkader ($1.800m) / Mikael Samuelsson ($3.000m)

Danny Cleary ($1.750m)

DEFENSEMEN

Kyle Quincey ($3.775m) / Jakub Kindl ($2.400m)

Danny DeKeyser ($1.350m) / Brendan Smith ($1.263m)

Brian Lashoff ($0.725m) /

GOALTENDERS

Jimmy Howard ($5.292m)

Petr Mrazek ($0.790m)

OTHER

IR: Jordin Tootoo

IR: Darren Helm

IR: Patrick Eaves

IR: Jonas Gustavsson

lol @cleary being scratched!

Guest Crymson

lol @cleary being scratched!

Cleary looked surprisingly good during the first game against the Leafs. His biggest problem last season was his footspeed, and it seemed much improved in that game. Beyond that, Cleary is on the roster because he's one of the few grit players the Wings have, and also one of the only guys with the ability and willingness to screen the opposing goaltender.

If Cleary can return to 2010-2011 form, I'll be thrilled.

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup

FORWARDS
Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Justin Abdelkader ($1.800m)
Patrick Eaves ($1.200m) / Darren Helm ($2.125m) / Tomas Tatar ($0.840m)
Danny Cleary ($1.750m) / Joakim Andersson ($0.733m) / Todd Bertuzzi ($2.075m)
Gustav Nyquist ($0.950m) / Drew Miller ($1.350m)
DEFENSEMEN
Jakub Kindl ($2.400m) / Danny DeKeyser ($1.350m)
Kyle Quincey ($3.775m) / Brendan Smith ($1.263m)
Adam Almquist ($0.694m) /
GOALTENDERS
Jimmy Howard ($5.292m)
Petr Mrazek ($0.790m)
OTHER
Buried: Mikael Samuelsson ($2.075m)
Buried: Jordin Tootoo ($0.975m)
Buried: Jonas Gustavsson ($0.575m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $67,148,712; BONUSES: $2,920,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $71,288

I guess Babs believes you have to lose your job (talking veterans) for roster space, rather then being young and earning it? If Tatar and Nyquist aren't in opening night the whole "we make sure we put out the best team each night" goes suspect.

Ansar Khan @AnsarKhanMLive 6h

Tatar said he thinks he will be a healthy scratch on Wednesday

I know Babcock loves the vets,but Tatar absolutely earned a spot.It's pretty tough to be a youngster in a Wings locker room that's for sure."Luckily" we're short of quality D men,otherwise Danny D would be already in Grand Rapids.

What I want to know is why Alfredsson can be put on the third but not Franzen. It's never even been tried. Notice the second line for years has been lackluster and he is the common denominator. What about:

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Bertuzzi

Tatar-Weiss-Alfredsson

Franzen-Andersson-Abdelkader

Tootoo-Glendening-Miller

Tatar can provide Franzen like offense, and his defensive lapses will he offset by Weiss and Alfredsson. It also puts two finishers on the second line.

Franzen could open up on the third line and be forced to play more aggressively.

I know Tatar isn't necessarily ready for second line duties, but it's worth a shot early in the season.

Guest Crymson

Zetterberg - Datsyuk - Alfredsson

Bertuzzi - Weiss - Franzen

Tatar - Helm - Abdelkader

Miller - Andersson - Cleary

There's no reason to break up the highly productive line; that second line worked well when it was tried; the third would be able to score; and the 4th would be quite good defensively.