Sign in to follow this  
Dabura

Lines Thread

Rate this topic

Franzen-Datsyuk-Alfredsson

Zetterberg-Weiss-Nyquist

Tatar-Helm-Andersson

Miller-Glendening-Abdelkader

Imo something like that is the best we can do this year and I have a feeling it could look very good..

Pretty much agree with this, but the odds of seeing it are unfortunately slim to none :(

I just saw this on MLive, and thought "oh, so it CAN get worse". While its only practice at this point, with Franzen out and Babcock's history, is there any reason to believe Cleary and Abdelkader won't be in the Top 6? I can only hope Miller plays in place of Samuelsson, both to improve our lineup and to prevent us from being a laughing stock with $8M worth of cap on the 4th line.

Tootoo (1.9) - Weiss (4.9) - Samuelsson (3.0) = 9.8mil 4th line

I really wish you hadn't put this thought into my head :lol: Hopefully Babs changes his mind before Weds.

I'm so irritated with the Wings' recent performances that I'm sitting here thinking of the most insane possible ways to improve the team. Not Dan Cleary to the first line insane, but insane none the less.

When you start thinking that unproven prospects couldn't possibly be worse than your established roster, things have gone badly.

This is the problem with Holland's patch and plug approach the last couple of years. far to many old guys making far to much money. we can't go out and add quality pieces because we have no cap room. We can't even fire guys that deserve it-doesn't create cap room. Hell we can't even call up a Nyquist and his 950k salary right now because we have no cap room. Most teams can live with 1 or 2 bad contracts but we have about 8! alfie, bert, Sammy, cleary, tootoo, eaves, Quincey, Gus.......... that is a lot of guys and a lot of money for almost zero production. if Weiss doesn't get his butt in gear soon add him to the list. Even without him, that is nearly 20 million on bad deals.

Guest DeGraa55

This is the problem with Holland's patch and plug approach the last couple of years. far to many old guys making far to much money. we can't go out and add quality pieces because we have no cap room. We can't even fire guys that deserve it-doesn't create cap room. Hell we can't even call up a Nyquist and his 950k salary right now because we have no cap room. Most teams can live with 1 or 2 bad contracts but we have about 8! alfie, bert, Sammy, cleary, tootoo, eaves, Quincey, Gus.......... that is a lot of guys and a lot of money for almost zero production. if Weiss doesn't get his butt in gear soon add him to the list. Even without him, that is nearly 20 million on bad deals.

Just have patience and faith. Remember at end of year most of those deals are done!!!

O wait Holland is our gm? They'll all be back with slight raises and ntc. Cause we like our team.

Just wait the the trade deadline when no deals are made cause lack of cap space.

Just wait the the trade deadline when no deals are made cause lack of cap space.

Does it really matter? Remember carrying $4.5M of cap space two years ago, and almost $7.4M last season? Cap space or no, you need players worth the money (which are rare), trade partners willing to consider our stockpile of has-beens and plugs (even rarer), and a GM willing to deal (for someone other than previous busts like Quincey).

We have a bevy of great prospects which Holland, his scouting and coaching staff has done well to pick and development, but in recent years the Wings have survived his decisions, not thrived off of them. I hope Weiss and Alfie come around, and there is plenty of time for them to do so, but the money we have wrapped up in guys like Samuelsson and Cleary is trademark Holland these days. Bertuzzi, Quincey, Tootoo..... Samuelsson and Cleary (in descending order of usefulness) all take up cap and roster space that would be better used in just about any other way you could possibly imagine, let alone readily available options like regular time for Tatar and bringing in Nyquist for good.

The Detroit Red Wings: Surviving Ken Holland since 2009. :P

Lack of motivation is killing this team. The whole team is in a huge rut and that includes Zetterberg and Datsyuk. If Babcock can't have his team put forth effort unless they're fighting for their playoff lives then he needs to go.

Putting Weisse on the 4th line is an ass backwards move. A move an irrational LGW poster would make not a professional coach. It seems Babs doesn't like to take responsibility for anything. He even has had a few of his assistances fired. Maybe Babs is the problem not everybody else. Powerplay, penalty kill and motivation has been terrible for 3+ years, that falls on the coaches. There is plenty of coaches that get a lot more out of their team with a lot less

I think Cleary reconsidered re: the Flyers because he realized they would all see that he can't skate and would laugh at him. Whereas here we'd give him top-six minutes and treat him like a lock for the Hall of Fame.

My only question is: Which number do we retire, 11 or 71?

I think Cleary reconsidered re: the Flyers because he realized they would all see that he can't skate and would laugh at him. Whereas here we'd give him top-six minutes and treat him like a lock for the Hall of Fame.

Both obviously.

Lines in today's practice:

Zetterberg Datsyuk Bertuzzi

Cleary Weiss Alfredsson

Tatar Andersson Abdelkader

Miller Glendening Eaves

Makes more sense, except if it was me, Tatar would be helping Weiss break out of his funk, Eaves would be on the third line, Tootoo on the fourth, and Cleary on the bench next to Sammy talking about 2008.

Cleary Weiss Alfredsson

Miller Glendening Eaves

yeah.... they'll remain like this for first two minutes of the first period and then again Zet-Dats-Alf, Zet-Franzen-Cleary, Cleary-Andersson-Miller, Miller-Glendening-Datsyuk and so on...

I agree with both. HELL, let him pick a third number and we're retire them 3 straight nights.. danny boy deserves nothing but the best.

Cleary Weiss Alfredsson

Miller Glendening Eaves

Much better than the mess we saw yesterday in practice, only thing id change is move tatar up to 2nd line, miller to 3rd and of course, cleary to fourth.