• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Dabura

Lines Thread

Rate this topic

Now Khan is saying "might" be scratched.

Cleary, meanwhile, has just one goal and two assists, along with a plus-1 rating, in 18 games. He was wearing a gray jersey in Monday’s practicing, usually reserved for players who are scratched the next game.

Coach Mike Babcock, however, said, “Well I wouldn’t speculate on anything until tomorrow comes.’’

Babcock said of Cleary, “For a guy of his hockey sense and his ability he’s got to be a factor every night and I don’t see that.’’

Cleary said he spoke to Babcock before practice.

“I just have to play better,’’ Cleary said.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2013/11/red_wings_johan_franzen_will_r_2.html

Commence overreacting.

Why did the Cleary thread get shut down? I thought we were against catch-all threads here at LGW? I wouldn't have wondered into yet another lines thread to find out Cleary was finally, hopefully, potentially being benched if it wasn't for that other thread. So...what gives?

It's been a "might" status all along. Nothings been confirmed and Babcock himself has stated it depends on a few factors like Franzen's health. He even said don't spend much time speculating because it could all change tomorrow.

Commence overreacting.

Sometimes I think you just like to stir the pot lol

It's been a "might" status all along. Nothings been confirmed and Babcock himself has stated it depends on a few factors like Franzen's health. He even said don't spend much time speculating because it could all change tomorrow.

Sometimes I think you just like to stir the pot lol

Agreed, but look how quickly that "might" became a definite thing to people in this thread.

As for the overreacting, I just had a hunch that would be what would happen. As that's how all things Cleary tend to be here. ;)

Why did the Cleary thread get shut down? I thought we were against catch-all threads here at LGW? I wouldn't have wondered into yet another lines thread to find out Cleary was finally, hopefully, potentially being benched if it wasn't for that other thread. So...what gives?

There was an explanation at the end of the locked thread.

The topic was about Franzen, Cleary and Nyquist. Essentially it was a dupe of this discussion.

I'm not sure but maybe it would be better to have pre-game update threads or something to that effect, that would be a split off version of this thread. Because the lines thread makes sense as a topic but you're right it will become unwieldy. I'm open to suggestions.

And when Cleary is confirmed scratched someone can create a thread in which everyone can rejoice.

I am of the mind that the pieces to win (I mean they are technically 'winning' now but they're not destroying things, you know Lilja Smash, that sort of thing) but they haven't hit the right combinations yet. This is a deep and experienced group of forwards. The kids earned their varsity letters in last year's run. They just need to hit on the right combos. I'd say if they decide that no, they don't have what they want see what Franzen would bring on the open market. If it's not enough don't make a deal.

Just get in the playoffs.

I am of the mind that the pieces to win (I mean they are technically 'winning' now but they're not destroying things, you know Lilja Smash, that sort of thing) but they haven't hit the right combinations yet. This is a deep and experienced group of forwards. The kids earned their varsity letters in last year's run. They just need to hit on the right combos. I'd say if they decide that no, they don't have what they want see what Franzen would bring on the open market. If it's not enough don't make a deal.

You're speaking too sensibly for lgw.

Throw some hate in there, or some anger towards holland, babs, Cleary, Sammy, and franzen and then you'll be in business.

My head hurt trying to read this. lol

I think I got your overall message. In regards to Franzen, it's keep or buyout. I can't ever see us trading him.

Ugh one crappy player (Cleary) for another crappy player (Sammy). :shout:

3 points in 18 games vs. 1 in 6.

Brightside: At least Sammy can keep up with others and doesn't fall down as much, amirite?

Edited by e_prime

Just because you keep shaking up the lines doesn't mean you will strike gold. To do that you have to shake up the players not just the lines you put them on.

The only guy that can fix a linemate is probably Datsyuk and even then it took Abby months to score his first goal playing with Datsyuk on the same line.

DETROIT – Mike Babcock has a pretty good idea of the state of mind Daniel Cleary might be in, but the Red Wings’ coach doesn’t care about feelings.

“My job each and every day is to put the best 20 guys in the lineup that I think can help us win today,” said Babcock, who made the decision to scratch Cleary from tonight’s lineup against the Winnipeg Jets at Joe Louis Arena.

“I’ve been with Clears for nine years, I know him well,” Babcock said. “There’s no one who’s a bigger fan of Dan Cleary than Mike Babcock. I imagine he’s very pissed off today and I don’t know what you want me to do about it.”

Well he didn't lie about being Cleary's biggest fan. lol Hopefully he's starting to get a little fed up.

Detroitredwings.com Article

Well he didn't lie about being Cleary's biggest fan. lol Hopefully he's starting to get a little fed up.

Detroitredwings.com Article

While I'm definitely in favor of sitting Cleary, this whole "We need more secondary scoring, and Cleary isn't contributing at the level we need him to" business rings hollow for me. Like, Babs is only now realizing that Cleary is basically a glorified enforcer (who doesn't intimidate, never mind fight and enforce)? The guy can barely get through a shift without falling down - and when he's on his skates, he's one of the slowest players in the league. And these aren't new issues, nor is it hard for even the casual fan to notice them. (My dad, an extremely casual fan, calls Cleary "Mr. Tar Pit.") It just strikes me as a very convenient "statement" meant to give the appearance of a "shake-up," when, in reality, you're sitting a borderline fourth-liner who was re-signed for "veteran leadership" and sentimentality, not point production.

But maybe I'm being too critical. Maybe Babs' head really has been so far up Cleary's butt that he really is only now realizing his FAVORITEST PLAYER EVAR is not a top-six scoring winger. If so...yikes.

Edited by Dabura

Babs is nuts:

Zetteberg-Datsyuk-Bertuzzi

Franzen-Helm-Alfredsson

Cleary-Andersson-Samuelsson

Miller-Glendening-Abdelkader

Tatar is... OUT

Defence is:

Kronwall-Ericsson

DeKeyser-Quincey

Lashoff-Kindl

Might indicate Holland plans on moving Tatar... that would push me over the edge.

So, when Babs came to practice this morning, his idea of breaking the losing streak was to play Cleary and Samuelsson on the third line? How does Tatar deserve to be a healthy scratch over those two?

Babs and Holland are two of the best, but I have no idea what the hell they are doing this season.

Edited by GoWings1905