• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Dabura

Lines Thread

Rate this topic

At practice today/likely the lines against the caps tomorrow:

"@AnsarKhanMLive: Lines: Nyquist-Zetterberg-Abdelkader, Tatar-Sheahan-Jurco, Andersson-Helm-Alfredsson, Miller-Glendening-Eaves. Emmerton skating, too."

Bert scratched again. Pav not ready yet.

Andersson on the wing?

Bert must really be in the doghouse.

I would hazard a guess that Bert is hurt and their giving him time to heal. Lower back id say

i don't really see why the wings would hide injuries at this point ha. i agree with jimmy's point.

it also probably has to do with how well the kids are playing.

When is the four million dollar disaster going to take his turn as the healthy scratch? Quincey has made every partner he has played with this season significantly worse. Smith looked much more composed with Kronwall and now DeKeyser has struggled lately since getting anchored with Quincey.

Quincey makes mistakes, but he's been a lot better lately.

It seems like he's consistently the worst d man on the ice because we pay attention to him way more carefully.

Quincey makes mistakes, but he's been a lot better lately.

It seems like he's consistently the worst d man on the ice because we pay attention to him way more carefully.

He also logs harder minutes than Smith, Kindl, or Lashoff. Say what you want about Quincey, but he never gets protected minutes, which exposes his weak points but also says a lot about how much Babs trusts those other three.

He also logs harder minutes than Smith, Kindl, or Lashoff. Say what you want about Quincey, but he never gets protected minutes, which exposes his weak points but also says a lot about how much Babs trusts those other three.

Amen kip.

Honestly I really like lashoff too, he's more physical net front than anyone else we have on d.

I think babs doesn't trust him as much is because positionally he makes more than a few mistakes, but he's young, so hopefully hell learn and grow into a top four shutdown d man.

Amen kip.

Honestly I really like lashoff too, he's more physical net front than anyone else we have on d.

I think babs doesn't trust him as much is because positionally he makes more than a few mistakes, but he's young, so hopefully hell learn and grow into a top four shutdown d man.

Totally agree with this. I'm a big Lashoff fan and I'm happy to see him in the lineup. But you're right, Babs doesn't trust him. He's continue to improve over the next couple of years though, and despite his occasional mistakes he's still a great value for the money paid. I'd give anything if either of the other two dummies vying for a third pair job would play defense as well as Lashoff.

Totally agree with this. I'm a big Lashoff fan and I'm happy to see him in the lineup. But you're right, Babs doesn't trust him. He's continue to improve over the next couple of years though, and despite his occasional mistakes he's still a great value for the money paid. I'd give anything if either of the other two dummies vying for a third pair job would play defense as well as Lashoff.

Well if we keep winning/losing games 6-5 o can see the need to supplement shutdown d for possible offense.

I'm thinking that's why he's in for smith instead of kindl tonight.

If by some chance we were 100% healthy after the Olympic break. Ken Holland obviously would have some big decisions to make to iron this roster out before the playoffs. Let's not turn this into a flame Holland thread because everyone still assumes he is going to shaft our young good players in favor of the vets. He did misjudge the capabilities of our young guys early on but lets be serious, he is not going to favor vets over the young players who clearly earned their spots. Although you may see him take either Bert or Cleary for one spot purely for extra veteran leadership and locker room presence. I think that would be understandable and expected. He wasn't afraid to send down Eaves, Sammy, and Tootoo.

Obviously Jurco would be the first to go in the event of a healthy roster. He is not a bottom six player and we would not have room in our top six for him. We have guys who I personally think would be better off in the bottom six. Let the kid go develop and get ice time, he surely will be here in the future. It would be best for the team this year and best for his development.

Here is what I would like to see.

Zetterberg - Datsyuk - Abdelkader
Franzen - Weiss - Alfredson
Nyquist - Helm - Tatar
Abdelkador - Andersson - Sheahan

or

Franzen - Zetterberg - Nyquist (Don't forget this line was great)
Bertuzzi - Datsyuk - Alfredson

What happens to the remainder of the lineup if we went with option 2 as our top six? This makes things more complicated. Remember we need guys that can play the roles of their lines. A guy with a little more skill necessarily isn't the best thing for a 4th line and more skill doesn't always make someone a better player, especially in the playoffs. Which the purpose of this thread is to build a playoff team.

Bertuzzi / Miller / Jurco / Cleary / Glendenning (All remain as possibility's)

Weiss - I am optimistic that Weiss was being held back by his injury. We have a lot of money invested in him for the next 4 years. He will have every chance to get back in into the number two center role. With a couple of good players around him I have a hard time believing he won't get the job done. We have to try and get Weiss going, we simply have to much invested in him.

Sheahan - He obviously would be the first to be shafted in favor of Bert or Cleary. This kid has been extremely impressive and I think he blew everyone's expectations away. His production rate likely wont hold but he certainly would produce the points expected of someone on a 4th line role. He is a big body and plays very well both ways. This kid has earned the last roster spot in my opinion. His pure ability to step right into the NHL and play has really impressed me. It's no longer his spot to earn, it's now his spot to lose.

1st line - Only in the event that Datsyuk and Zetterberg are paired together on the 1st line would Abs break the top six. With those two guys on one line there is no need to concentrate anymore talent on one single line. It makes more sense to let Abs be physical and get pucks for those guys and in return make the 3rd line much stronger by freeing up Nyquist to play the third line, giving us three really good lines.

3rd line - Pretty much summed this up in the first line conversation. If we can build two great lines without Nyquist, we might as well put him here where he has some chemistry and would make for a super fast and possibly the best third line in the league. Three very dangerous lines.

4th line - I think this would be a very competitive 4th line although it is probably unlikely. Miller is extremely valuable to our pk and we have to believe Cleary and Bert aren't both going to be scratched.

Bertuzzi - He is still far to good to be scratched, honestly. A very smart player that can plug into a top six line. He is a little slow now days but is still big and physical, makes really smart plays, can protect the puck, and understands the defensive game very well. His only downside like mentioned earlier is he lacks speed.

Cleary - I don't want to see him in the lineup as I'm sure everyone feels the same. I know he is a big locker room guy for us but someone else has to step up and replace that. Sorry Cleary, we thank you for your dedication to the team but unfortunately the young guys have emerged and we are a new team now.

Defense - There is nothing to discuss here as we know who is playing for us this year in a healthy scenario. This is not where the roster moves need to be made and this might be a lot more interesting conversation next year. Unless a trade was proposed for a D. If you propose a trade please use logic and common sense, we will lose very good players for a good D. Absolutely no team is going to take Bertuzzi and Cleary for a top 3 D. Plus a big contract could hinder the signing of our very good upcoming free agents in the next 1-2 years. Think about these things and the talent we have that will need more money.

With all that said, I think we have a very strong team if we are healthy. There is no arguing that our forward line-up is very impressive, may be one of the best groups in the league from top to bottom.

Let's have a serious well thought-out conversation guys.

Edited by wingslionstigers

Unless they can move salary, they'll need to run with a 22 man roster.

Nyquist-Zetterberg-Abdelkader

Helm-Datsyuk-Alfredsson

Tatar-Weiss-Franzen

Miller-Andersson-Glendeng

Bertuzzi

D and goalies the same

I don't want to see Bertuzzi or Cleary play another game in Detroit.

Also, am I the only one dredding the return of Franzen and Weiss? This make the Wings slower and less engaged IMO.

Weiss can skate when he doesn't have a bad groin and will be wanting to prove himself. Franzen is streaky, but when he's on he dominates.

I don't want to see Bertuzzi or Cleary play another game in Detroit.

Also, am I the only one dredding the return of Franzen and Weiss? This make the Wings slower and less engaged IMO.

I don't mind Bertuzzi but I do agree it would not be a bad idea to move forward without him given the talent we have available.

Franzen is a great player with a great cap hit. Any team in the league would take him for his cap hit. It would be crazy to assume Franzen is not well worth his 3.9 million cap hit. You can't afford to have 4 or 5 Zetterberg's or Datsyuk's on a team. You need guys paid like Franzen and your not going to get guys who play like Z or D that take Franzen's pay. Think about it.

Edited by wingslionstigers

I don't mind Bertuzzi but I do agree it would not be a bad idea to move forward without him given the talent we have available.

Franzen is a great player with a great cap hit. Any team in the league would take him for his cap hit. It would be crazy to assume Franzen is not well worth his 3.9 million cap hit. You can't afford to have 4 or 5 Zetterberg's or Datsyuk's on a team. You need guys paid like Franzen and your not going to get guys who play like Z or D that take Franzen's pay. Think about it.

It’s not a knock against Franzen OR Weiss as players.

I just like the way the team is playing right now. They’re playing consistent, hounding the puck, skating hard, scoring enough goals, and they look hungry.

Putting a rusty Weiss and a sometimes floaty Franzen back in might hurt the chemistry. Think about it.

Edited by rick zombo

Weiss coming back jumbles up the whole cap situation, which unfortunately means the kids will be sent down.

I actually hold out some hope for Weiss being better than he was (he couldn't be any worse, I guess) and I am one of the few Franzen supporters out there, so I will be very happy to have him back, he was playing great before the concussion.

If there was any way to get rid Bertuzzi and Cleary, I'd be all for it, but they don't give us any cap relief by just waiving them.

It’s not a knock against Franzen OR Weiss as players.

I just like the way the team is playing right now. They’re playing consistent, hounding the puck, skating hard, scoring enough goals, and they look hungry.

Putting a rusty Weiss and a sometimes floaty Franzen back in might hurt the chemistry. Think about it.

So you don't want to interrupt a team that's managed to win a few games? I could see if the team was playing fantastic and consistently for a couple months with the current line up and was sitting better than the last place wild card spot. But I don't think having an ok stretch justifies not wanting to 'shake things' up by adding some of our top forwards to the line up. I'm pretty sure with Franzen and Weiss we would be capable of having a good week or two also. The sooner we get a healthy Weiss and Franzen back into our lineup the better. I think Holland and Babcock will agree by putting those guys back in as soon as they are healthy. But that's just my thoughts on it obviously everyone's entitled to their own opinion.

Abby-Z-Nyquist

Franz-Dats-Helm

Alfie-Sheahan-Tatar

Miller-Anders-Eaves

EDIT: forgot Weiss. I'm really hopeful he can be the player we expected him to be after he gets back from injury. It would be nice if Weiss could come back and outplay Sheahan then our third would be ever better

Edited by joesuffP